Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there are lots of different kinds of kenpo out there... which one is yours?

S

shotmanuk

Tatakai Jikoboei Do Kenpo

" The Way of Combat Self Defence "

M

M F

I chose Parker Kenpo because that is what I've done for the last several years. But I did get my Kenpo start in Kajukenbo.

K

Kroy

Originally posted by durangokenpo
I do tracys but got my start in American Kenpo

TS

I'm the opposite, I started in Tracy Kenpo but slowly moved into EPAK. It was more for me.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor always referred to it as Chinese Kenpo, but it falls within the Tracy's camp (even though I'm not part of the Tracy's organization).

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
My instructor always referred to it as Chinese Kenpo, but it falls within the Tracy's camp (even though I'm not part of the Tracy's organization).

Well, what are you waitin' for Mister!:mad:

U

unidos

Kenpo Jutsu. Just started couple of weeks ago. Pretty interesting.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The poll is somewhat misleading by listing SL-4 separately (even though I appreciate the effort to make a disitinction). If you talk to any of my students, they will all tell you they study EPAK, and only make a distinction when comparisons are necessary to explain differences in interpretations. Nevertheless, it is EPAK as explained and taught to me by Ed Parker. I understand in this medium it is necessary for the purposes of the poll, but those who actually study rarely ever read or post on any forum.

Thanks for the recognition.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saviano's White Tiger Kenpo.
Parker/McSweeney lineage.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those who have not been around a coon's age, they may not know the difference. I have students from both systems in my school right now. The techniques are from the 60's version -

Inward Defense not Delayed Sword
Outward Defense not Sword of Destruction

Dance of Death is the same, Five Swords is the same, higher level techniques are closer to 1990 EPAC.

Evading the Samurai instead of Glancing Lance
or
Stretching the Bow not Glancing Spear.

People will not know the difference unless it is explained to them. This is not one of the "history" questions usually asked or answered here, and probably worthy of starting a new thread.

-MB

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
The poll is somewhat misleading by listing SL-4 separately (even though I appreciate the effort to make a disitinction). If you talk to any of my students, they will all tell you they study EPAK, and only make a distinction when comparisons are necessary to explain differences in interpretations. Nevertheless, it is EPAK as explained and taught to me by Ed Parker. I understand in this medium it is necessary for the purposes of the poll, but those who actually study rarely ever read or post on any forum.

Thanks for the recognition.

I don't know anything about SL 4...

curious question...

if your students walked into a different kenpo school, perhaps for a seminar or something, would their techniques be recognizable to other EPAK martial artists? How different is SL4 curriculum from standard EPAK?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
I don't know anything about SL 4...

curious question...

if your students walked into a different kenpo school, perhaps for a seminar or something, would their techniques be recognizable to other EPAK martial artists?
Yes. However dispersed throughout the curriculum, there are about 16 techniques whose names they would not recognized that address issues the conceptual kenpo does not.

Latest Discussions