Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new here. I got my black belt through sandan rank in Shaolin Kempo Karate from Shihan John Stover in North Carolina. His instructor was Albert Church, whose system was Shorinji Tetsukempo Kamishin ryu.
Since I moved out here near Seattle about 8 years ago, I haven't done any formal training, still looking for a school.

Thought I'd update this.
I'm now studying Kara-Ho Kempo as a beginner, and also have been honored to be allowed to join a group of American Kenpo people's workouts as well.

Fei Ze Min

White Belt
Reaction score
This means the name is protected, right? Maybe this should be a separate thread (mods. discretion), I'm curious about what if any protection of the core material of a style is offered by the law. I was accosted via PM a while back because I admitted to learning and practicing a series of forms from a kempo style that apparently wishes to keep their stuff close. The thrust was my teacher was violating a copywrite and could be subject to a suit.

It seems that knowledge gained over the course of one's MA career, from whatever divergent sources, forms the unique style each of us embodies. Do you think we are, or should be, free to perpetuate the material to which we've been exposed?

Absolutely we should be free to spread our knowledge regardless where it's from. can you imagine a college professor trying take a former student to court because he was teaching something he learned in class? i find it extremely arrogant that anyone thinks they own a particular style of combat. maybe we should all start paying royalties to the guy who first threw a punch!
By the way I study Dragon Kenpo.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely we should be free to spread our knowledge regardless where it's from. can you imagine a college professor trying take a former student to court because he was teaching something he learned in class? i find it extremely arrogant that anyone thinks they own a particular style of combat. maybe we should all start paying royalties to the guy who first threw a punch!
By the way I study Dragon Kenpo.

Perfect. Let's all send tribute to Greece! Since Pancrase went from there to India where it became Kalari, and from there to China where it became Shaolin Gung Fu, then from there to Okinawa etc. I say we should all pay tribute to our Greek origins.

Fei Ze Min

White Belt
Reaction score
Perfect. Let's all send tribute to Greece! Since Pancrase went from there to India where it became Kalari, and from there to China where it became Shaolin Gung Fu, then from there to Okinawa etc. I say we should all pay tribute to our Greek origins.

Excellent! Who do I make the check out to?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent! Who do I make the check out to?

Please make checks payable to "Alexander the Average" who tells me that he is an indirect descendant of "Alexander the Great". The reason that he's only average, is that his only "conquests" were of the women that were nearly passed out from too much Uzo. But he assured me that he would send you rank recognition depending on how much you sent him.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am doing the IKCA program because there is absolutly noone in my area who does kenpo.

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
My primary lineage is Parker Kenpo, however I have learned Chinese Kempo, and a little tiny bit of Tracy's Kenpo, but not much.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
went to a tournament this sunday and seen a sick kujukenbo kata by one of there 4 dergree black belts ' i filmed it on my mini dvd rec. im a see if i could get it transfered and put on youtube soon.

his gi had kajukenbo all over and on one of his patches it kenpo and hawaii under it ?

:mst:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
went to a tournament this sunday and seen a sick kujukenbo kata by one of there 4 dergree black belts ' i filmed it on my mini dvd rec. im a see if i could get it transfered and put on youtube soon.

his gi had kajukenbo all over and on one of his patches it kenpo and hawaii under it ?

:mst:

Different methods and branches go by different names: For instance, There are Original Method/Emperado Method/Hard Style/Kenpo Karate method/Old Hard Style etc etc. all used to describe the same basic branch.

Poppie666

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me see where I can Begin on the story of Tiger Crane Kenpo Karate. My name is Mike Mounce, Co-founder of this system.
In the early 70’s Randy Edwardson and Myself trained under Armando Fleming who started TCKK then in the mid 80’s it was turned over to me as Mr. Fleming retired.
When Randy got out of the service we partnered to open the School. Due to differences of opinion we parted ways and Randy who was married with a daughter moved to Texas and we have not been in contact since. Randy was like a nephew since I have known him since he was in high school. Larry is his little brother. Randy did train with Sol for awhile and what happened to there relationship I am not aware.
I reopened TCKK in the late 90’s with my wife Linda, my son and daughter Matthew & Louise and Tracy Smith in Long Beach/Signal Hill CA. and closed in 99 due to the same problems most schools were having at that time (low student counts). A few of my instructors ate still teaching and carrying on the tradition of TCKK and I still keep my had in it although being a little hard to do that and raise 5 grandchildren. I was promoted to 7th degree by a consciences of black belts of well known caliper one of which was Mr. Parkers Wife which ment more to me than most things I pride. Randy and I although being out of the Tracy system but were very close to the Parker family and the International Chapionships in Long Beach. So we are still around and hope to bearound for some time.
I hope this clears up some of the questions on us and our history and reputation which is well respected today. Just ask Frank Treijo or David Motzak or Mohamed Jon Vash.
Thanks Grandmaster Mike Mounce TCKK

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will chime in now.

My first style I trained in after I stopped with my father was Hawaiian Kenpo.

As of last week I am back to EPAK and loving every minute. It is the piece of the puzzle I have been missing for the last 20+ years.

Latest Discussions