What is your TKD?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For all of you what is your personal TKD like not the school you belong to but the actual presence of your training of TKD?

Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
For all of you what is your personal TKD like not the school you belong to but the actual presence of your training of TKD?

Terry

I'm not sure what you mean here, Terry. Can you tell us (me) what it is for you?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'm not sure what you mean here, Terry. Can you tell us (me) what it is for you?

My TKD is the old style hard and harder, even though I teach Olympic style it is not my style.
Mine has SD one step and full contact no chest protectors.
Terry

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question for you Terry.

My old martial arts instructor called me last week and said his daughter wants to train for the 2012 olympic games. I told him that I could not train her as I didn't know enough about it. My question is what does she need to do to get in? I know she needs to be certified through an instructor but what else other than politics? When I was training with a gentlemen in '91 I didn't pay enough attention to everything he was saying about the '92games. At that point I didn't care I just wanted to train.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, I get it, Terry. Mine Tae Kwo Do is (1st of all, spelled like that) old school, full contact, no chest protector, boots for foot pads, SD, one steps, one more kick even when you think you're gonna pass out, basics basics basics, respect for Senior ranks, Tae Kwon Do.:asian:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Question for you Terry.

My old martial arts instructor called me last week and said his daughter wants to train for the 2012 olympic games. I told him that I could not train her as I didn't know enough about it. My question is what does she need to do to get in? I know she needs to be certified through an instructor but what else other than politics? When I was training with a gentlemen in '91 I didn't pay enough attention to everything he was saying about the '92games. At that point I didn't care I just wanted to train.

Well she need to qualify at the trails in Denver you can go to the USAT website for info. also she must be Kukkiwn certified and has to be on the circuit, like for nationals and international events. Her coach needs to be in good standing with the USAT and she needs to be updated with all the rules for trying to make the team. Politics plays an important role here but if she can win one of the majors and defeat one of the USAT elite she will be notice and some or all of the coaches will contact her. What part of the country and maybe I can point you in the right direction here.
Terry

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are in north central ohio. I did bring up some of those things to him on the phone last week. To be honest I really don't think she knows what she is in for. Yes '12 is a long ways away but there's much to prepar for. The gentlemen I trained with in '91 is still training around here. However I don't think he trains people that way any longer. He's had some health issues and is getting a little older to be pushing people the way they need pushed to enter that type of tournament. Thanks for the reply. My instructor was an ITF guy that became an independent. None of us had that type of talent to win tournaments at that level. Although when she was younger she was really good but you know times have changed from the past.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
We are in north central ohio. I did bring up some of those things to him on the phone last week. To be honest I really don't think she knows what she is in for. Yes '12 is a long ways away but there's much to prepar for. The gentlemen I trained with in '91 is still training around here. However I don't think he trains people that way any longer. He's had some health issues and is getting a little older to be pushing people the way they need pushed to enter that type of tournament. Thanks for the reply. My instructor was an ITF guy that became an independent. None of us had that type of talent to win tournaments at that level. Although when she was younger she was really good but you know times have changed from the past.

You know WTF sparring is more of a game of tag and alot of counter fighting, there is a guy incleveland that is a great Olypic style trainer when I get to the Dojang tonight I'll pm you his info. Also my son dream is to make the 2012 Olympic team as well maybe they will be there together, that would be great!
Terry

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Terry. I'm going to have a talk with my previous instructor sometime today. If he still wants to pursue it then I'll pass on any info. you can give right now.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr Fransworth just let me know if I can help.
Terry

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Taekwon-Do...

Combat and Self Defense effective training. Drills, Drills, Drills...step sparring, light contact sparring, full contact sparring. Release and attack drills, throws and restraints!

Enter the dojang, shut up and sweat!!! Then crawl to a corner and stretch for a few minutes while the instructor demonstrates something, then stand and cry some more. Go home and soak in the salt waiting for the first opportunity to do it again!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey said:
My Taekwon-Do...

Combat and Self Defense effective training. Drills, Drills, Drills...step sparring, light contact sparring, full contact sparring. Release and attack drills, throws and restraints!

Enter the dojang, shut up and sweat!!! Then crawl to a corner and stretch for a few minutes while the instructor demonstrates something, then stand and cry some more. Go home and soak in the salt waiting for the first opportunity to do it again!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

For some reason Spookey, your post reminds me of something that happened at my 1st school a few times. My 1st instructor was a very proper young (late 20's) Korean gentlemen.... always wore a proper uniform. But a few times when he was in the mood to train himself hard, the belt & top would come off. He either do forms, or stand in front of a mirror (away from everyone) & throw side kicks. His intensity was incredible! That's why every time I think of serious training, there's no dobok top or belt involved.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much as I would miss olympiuc style sparring (I truly love it), it's secondary to traditional training. I hope I never have to choose, but I may shortly.

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mine is olympic style sparring, and i love it, but sometimes we practice typical traditional techniqes, we mostly do kicking drills for hours and hours! it really wares you down.

LeiDren

White Belt
Reaction score
My master tends to give us everything as soon as he can, and then slowly perfect it. As a result, I was 'doing' spinning kicks as a white belt; but they're reflexive for me now.

Personally, I just try to focus on my basics. Stretches, blocks, punches, front kick, roundhouse, sidekick, poomse. That's basically all I do when I'm training alone, and I can feel them getting stronger.

I guess I have two Tae Kwon Do's.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
mine is softer then terrys. we do 3 steps and one steps and no contact sparing. I tried full contact sparring once and didn't like it

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Taekwondo is traditional, and it is my clubs - because I'm a club owner. I like giving respect to eveyone, and I expect it in return. I only push people as far as they can go. A 5 y/o can only do some things, an 18 y/o can do much more, and an 80 y/o can again only do some things.

For me personally; I push myself till I can barely stand, My mind says I can do things that my body says I can not so I tend to hurt myself and I'm right handed and left footed - go figure.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
For me personally; I push myself till I can barely stand, My mind says I can do things that my body says I can not so I tend to hurt myself and I'm right handed and left footed - go figure.

Maybe your footness/handedness issue has to do with balance. I know for me, I have better balance w/ my left foot, so I usually kick with my right leg. :idunno:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Maybe your footness/handedness issue has to do with balance. I know for me, I have better balance w/ my left foot, so I usually kick with my right leg. :idunno:

Could be. But I know plenty of friends who ar right handed right footed and vice versa.