Martial Arts an expensive hobby

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I must admit that I am finding TKD very expensive. I am paying $100/mth, plus $50 for each test and I have to pay an additional $1000 to move into the Black Belt Ranking. Is this normal? I may be wrong, but it seems kind of excessive.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
I must admit that I am finding TKD very expensive. I am paying $100/mth, plus $50 for each test and I have to pay an additional $1000 to move into the Black Belt Ranking. Is this normal? I may be wrong, but it seems kind of excessive.
Geeze. I pay $75 a quarter. BB test was $200 IIRC.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on where you're taking it. My students pay $65/7 week session (YMCA members) or $110/7 week session (non-YMCA members), and color belt testing fees are $25 (money goes to the class, to buy materials such as boards for breaking). My instructor's students pay $30/month at a different facility. Black belt testing fees are higher, mostly to pay the testing instructor for his or her time (and travel expenses, if coming from out of state), but I paid less than half of that for my IV Dan testing last year.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tuition, testing and other costs can vary tremendously from art to art and school to school. It often depends a lot on how business minded the school is. Price can also depend a lot on geographic location. Any business minded school here in San Francisco will cost a good bit more than a similar school in Arkansas, for example. SF is just a really expensive place to live.

Some very talented instructors teach out of their garage or back yard and charge very little because it is only a supplemental income and they are more interested in teaching the art, over running a business.

The prices you list, in my opinion, seem a bit high, but not outrageous, (again by SF standards) with the exception of the $1000 to move into the black belt rankings. That last charge seems to me a bit like paying for an extended warranty on your TV: no reason for it, pure profit for the dealer.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The monthly fees aren't too bad from some I've seen and neither are the color belt testings. The price for black belt is ridiculous however...the Kukkiwon charges a $70 fee for 1st degree....I'm not sure what organization you're in. But it seems like they're really trying to get some serious money out of you...

But then again...any hobby gets expensive enough after a while...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, It can be pretty "spendy" (as my wife's relatives from South Dakota say). There's a broad range of prices. I wish I could say that in MA you always get what you pay for, but its not always true.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought when I had two children in...then I joined too. 3X But we were on family rates.

Theres the monthly fees, the testing fees, the tournament fees, boards, uniforms and the equipment needed. Plus the home equipment for working out more--like a standup bag, mats for jumping, a focus paddle... Our unlimited rate is 49./mo- yr. contract--up to $100/mo if you just sign up for one month. Testing for color belts 35. and gradually going up, black belt test is 150 for first recommended bb test, then another 150 to first dan. I've heard some horrendous rates in other larger cities, so they do vary a bit. Definitely not all equal. $1000 is too much for the BB test. TW

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I think the arts are getting expensive in most cases. However, is it that they are getting expensive, or is it we have less money to use for ourselves?
icon10.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:

First off Kukkiwon is only 70.00 US so 1000.00 is way to much to be a BB, I would check into some of the other threads about pricing as far as TKD we charge 65.00 per month for 6 days a week, testing fee's are 35.00 and most of the time we don'y even get that.
Terry

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl,

I agree with the others here. The tuition of $100.00 per mo. is on the high end of the scale, but not outrageous. The testing fees for color belts are about average, but $1,000.00 for 1st Dan test (if that is what you are saying) is way over the top! Many organizations will add a small profit margin over the Kukkiwon fee (costing $100.00 to $200.00, and going up $50.00 to $100.00 per Degree). These fees help to build an organization, and provide services above and beyond classroom instruction.

As others have indicated, tuition will vary depending on the rank and skill level of your instructor, the economic climate where the school is located, and the amount of financial profit the instructor is motivated to seek out. Some highly skilled instructors do teach in their garage, or at a church or community center for a low cost, but often do not offer the full range of experiences available at a full time Dojang. Some of the fancy Dojangs might be run by instructors with very little experience, knowledge, and insights to offer for that kind of money.

One thing to consider though, is the way you phrased the subject: "Martial Arts an expensive hobby." If you think of it as a hobby, then I can see where the expense might not seem justified. What are any other hobbies that people have in which they invest thousands of dollars. If they are really passionate about it, maybe. However, in my opinion, studying the Martial Art as a life long journey of self improvement, self discovery, and for the protection of yourself, your loved ones, and innocent victims, makes it much more than a hobby.

I found a wall sign once that spoke about the importance of education. It read, "If you think education is expensive. . . try ignorance!" :) This suggests that you could save money by not getting a higer education, but you will lose more in your lifetime by missing the opportunities for career advancement without an advanced education. I put the sign up at my Dojang, and pasted the word "Taekwondo" over education (to me, they are the same thing). It now reads, "If you think Taekwondo is expensive. . . try ignorance!" My meaning is that it costs a bit of money to learn this knowledge, however it is well worth the investment to benefit many aspects of your life, especially if you ever need self defense, but chose not to learn it because of the cost!

Just so long as you find a good, qualified instructor, and don't have to pay the thousands of dollars for Black Belt test fees. - Good Luck!

CM D. J. Eisenhart

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
adictd2tkdgirl,

I agree with the others here. The tuition of $100.00 per mo. is on the high end of the scale, but not outrageous. The testing fees for color belts are about average, but $1,000.00 for 1st Dan test (if that is what you are saying) is way over the top! Many organizations will add a small profit margin over the Kukkiwon fee (costing $100.00 to $200.00, and going up $50.00 to $100.00 per Degree). These fees help to build an organization, and provide services above and beyond classroom instruction.

As others have indicated, tuition will vary depending on the rank and skill level of your instructor, the economic climate where the school is located, and the amount of financial profit the instructor is motivated to seek out. Some highly skilled instructors do teach in their garage, or at a church or community center for a low cost, but often do not offer the full range of experiences available at a full time Dojang. Some of the fancy Dojangs might be run by instructors with very little experience, knowledge, and insights to offer for that kind of money.

One thing to consider though, is the way you phrased the subject: "Martial Arts an expensive hobby." If you think of it as a hobby, then I can see where the expense might not seem justified. What are any other hobbies that people have in which they invest thousands of dollars. If they are really passionate about it, maybe. However, in my opinion, studying the Martial Art as a life long journey of self improvement, self discovery, and for the protection of yourself, your loved ones, and innocent victims, makes it much more than a hobby.

I found a wall sign once that spoke about the importance of education. It read, "If you think education is expensive. . . try ignorance!" :) This suggests that you could save money by not getting a higer education, but you will lose more in your lifetime by missing the opportunities for career advancement without an advanced education. I put the sign up at my Dojang, and pasted the word "Taekwondo" over education (to me, they are the same thing). It now reads, "If you think Taekwondo is expensive. . . try ignorance!" My meaning is that it costs a bit of money to learn this knowledge, however it is well worth the investment to benefit many aspects of your life, especially if you ever need self defense, but chose not to learn it because of the cost!

Just so long as you find a good, qualified instructor, and don't have to pay the thousands of dollars for Black Belt test fees. - Good Luck!

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Last Fearner,

After posting my message I realized that at least one person would bring up the 'hobby' comment. I completely agree with your analogy of the many benefits resulting from learning Martial Arts and should not have referred to it as a hobby. I think that I just feel that my club is taking advantage of its members to some degree. They have over 500 students and I feel that many others would like to learn this form of discipline, but are unable to because of the financial commitment.

I mean wouldn't this benefit those children/teens who come from lower income families? Wouldn't it keep these kids from getting into trouble? Don't they deserve the same opportunities? Unfortunately, they aren't getting the chance. I don't understand why that is. It's another example of how people without a lot of money are missing out on opportunities to better themselves.

I commend those instructors that are doing it so they can pass on and teach the 'Art'. Truthfully that is what it is all about.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
Last Fearner,
I completely agree with your analogy of the many benefits resulting from learning Martial Arts and should not have referred to it as a hobby. I think that I just feel that my club is taking advantage of its members to some degree. They have over 500 students and I feel that many others would like to learn this form of discipline, but are unable to because of the financial commitment.

tkdgirl, Thanks for clearing up your perspective on the "hobby" point of view. Sometimes, quick comments in these threads can be misleading, but it is good food for thought for others who do view Martial Art as a hobby.

I agree with your concern for those less financially capable, missing out on Taekwondo because of the cost. Our program is not only flexible in that area, but we have a "not-for-profit" division of our local schools that uses Government Grant money to help pay for the cost of tuition, uniforms, sparring gear, and test fees for underprivilaged children and families. That way, instructors still get paid, and the school does not have to lose money while helping the less fortunate.

If your school has over 500 students, it sounds as though they are doing something right, and are a successful Dojang (at least business wise). The instructor might set the prices high to meet the supply and demand so that those who can afford this particular instructor's time and talents will pay the higher price. Some highly qualified instructors cater specifically to the wealthy clients who want a higher quality school, better training equipment, and top notch instructors. Personally, I would hope that such an instructor would create a special program for the less wealthy, even if it is run separately by assistant instructors at a local YMCA, or other community center.

Perhaps someone simply needs to suggest this to the Sabeomnim.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
tkdgirl, Thanks for clearing up your perspective on the "hobby" point of view. Sometimes, quick comments in these threads can be misleading, but it is good food for thought for others who do view Martial Art as a hobby.

I agree with your concern for those less financially capable, missing out on Taekwondo because of the cost. Our program is not only flexible in that area, but we have a "not-for-profit" division of our local schools that uses Government Grant money to help pay for the cost of tuition, uniforms, sparring gear, and test fees for underprivilaged children and families. That way, instructors still get paid, and the school does not have to lose money while helping the less fortunate.

If your school has over 500 students, it sounds as though they are doing something right, and are a successful Dojang (at least business wise). The instructor might set the prices high to meet the supply and demand so that those who can afford this particular instructor's time and talents will pay the higher price. Some highly qualified instructors cater specifically to the wealthy clients who want a higher quality school, better training equipment, and top notch instructors. Personally, I would hope that such an instructor would create a special program for the less wealthy, even if it is run separately by assistant instructors at a local YMCA, or other community center.

Perhaps someone simply needs to suggest this to the Sabeomnim.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

I am happy to hear that you are doing your part to help those that are less fortunate. I think you are right about my instructor keeping his rates as they are in order to run a higher end school with top notch equipment. That is for sure, the school is not lacking in any way. If one of the targets becomes worn it is immediately replaced. His instructors are really good also.

I do have an additional question though, how much training is normal? We are offered 3 classes per week (for my belt rank) that are 45 mins each. It seems like it would be more productive if it were 1 hour long classes. How is it at your school?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
I do have an additional question though, how much training is normal? We are offered 3 classes per week (for my belt rank) that are 45 mins each. It seems like it would be more productive if it were 1 hour long classes. How is it at your school?

My classes are all a minimum of one hour. Advanced classes (Red belt and above) are usually 90 minutes. I currently have classes 3 nights per week, but that will expand soon. In the past, when I ran two Dojang with several assistant instructors, I had classes five nights per week. Students came as often as they wanted, however beginners are often restricted to 3 nights. Unless my classes are overflowing, I will generally allow students to attend more than one class per evening, especially when they participate as a senior rank, class leader, or assistant instructor. When I was a teenager, I arrived at my instructor's Dojang at noon, and left around 10, or 11 pm every day.

I know many instructors with busy schedules will reduce the class time to 45 minutes so they can get the students out of the door in time to start another class every hour, on the hour. This allows for more classes per evening, and the classes are often run with a greater intensity. Students are expected to learn quickly in class, then spend the majority of time refining their skills when they practice at home, or in free time at the Dojang. I find 45 minute classes are too short for my taste.

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been said enough up top about the rates being reflected by where you live, so I'll leave it alone. I have to comment on 2 things though. One, your BB test is out of control IMO. Two. Though my entire family is involved in MA's, I spend a great deal more on the other activities they're involved in, such a s hockey. Now THAT'S expensive.

Our classes are about 50 minutes for children's classes and about 1 hour 10-15 for adults. Minimum suggested is 2 classes a week, so you're about the same in time.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:

We aren't a TKD school, but we run two hour classes two days a week at one location and the same on alternate days at another location.

Oh, and that will run you $50 a month with no testing fees, sort of the other end of the spectrum from your school.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
It's been said enough up top about the rates being reflected by where you live, so I'll leave it alone. I have to comment on 2 things though. One, your BB test is out of control IMO. Two. Though my entire family is involved in MA's, I spend a great deal more on the other activities they're involved in, such a s hockey. Now THAT'S expensive.

Our classes are about 50 minutes for children's classes and about 1 hour 10-15 for adults. Minimum suggested is 2 classes a week, so you're about the same in time.

Hockey! You beat me too it...:)

How much does the average skier pay to hit the slopes twelve-to-sixteen times a year?

Or how much does a boat in the water cost for the summer season?

Martial arts training is a year long activity... the monthly costs will vary from region - just like your income earning potential does.

However $1,000 for a black belt fee!?
Sorry - that sounds too much like MA cult scam to me...

OP
A

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify..it isn't $1000 for your test. It is a one time fee of $1000 to move into the Black Belt training. That happens at Blue Belt.

Latest Discussions