What is your favorite area of Kenpo......

What is your favorite area of American Kenpo?

• Self Defense Techniques

• Forms

• Sets

• Basics

• Freestyle

• Conditioning

• History and Traditions

• Social

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

Gary Crawford

DEFINATLY techniques! I have children doing teakwondo these days and I love to attend their tournaments and outclass any "demonstration" by TKD folks by demonstrating BASIC kenpo self defense techniques!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring is a goodly part of it..Specially now that the weather is warmer.. *Shrugs* oh yeah.. and the tecs.. Forms are Ok.. the Memorization of mental stuff.... *twitches*
:D

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
you'd be surprised as to how many people we have that are self-conscious or completely terrified. we get some people that just want to stand there and some that wanna try and take our heads off, and each have to be dealt with accordingly.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like sparring and SDT most, but not with beginners. Although most educating in their ability to slip through otherwise distinguished guards and break my nose with limited control, I'm ugly enough with out the help. Ill leave it to the senior students to enculturate them to predictable paths of movement in sparring, then roll with them.:)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I voted for Self-Defense techniques (which was my primary reason for taking Kenpo in the first place), I enjoy the other aspects as well & realize that all of the things listed are important to becoming a well-rounded Kenpo student.

My personal preferences of the aspects I enjoy at this stage (from most enjoyable to least) are:

1) Self Defense techniques - Yes, you wouldn't have them without Basics, but they become so much more fun & tell us so much more after we've learned our Basics, IMHO. ("many answers lie in a single move, but many moves do not necessarily give a single answer")

2) Social - I've met so many great people through Kenpo and made so many friends that I love my "Kenpo family" and am grateful for all that you have taught me & continue to teach me. :asian:

3) History & Traditions - We have such a rich texture of Kenpo history (as well as controversies, but doesn't all history have some controversy in it?). I am proud of my dual lineages, and although too much of anything isn't good for you, I think that some of our traditions are good for developing character traits for students of the Art (humility, respect, an open mind, etc). The philosophy of Kenpo appeals to me.

4) Forms - A good way to practice Basics and a good workout in themselves, they can be useful in many ways, including environmental awareness. I like to practice them in different ways, especially with my eyes closed.

5) Sets - A good way to practice a specific basic (since they are the "appendices" of the Art) & the same reasons listed above for Forms.

6) Basics - The foundation of the Art; even though they may be ingrained, it's always a good idea to review them. Like someone else posted earlier, they are what will "save your butt."

7) Freestyle - For personal reasons (I was in an abusive relationship in college), it was very difficult for me to get used to someone punching & kicking at me - even while wearing sparring gear. Now, a few years later, I look upon it as a training exercise & am trying to improve my sparring ability. With help from my instructor & fellow students, hopefully it will get better.

8) Conditioning - To me it's the most difficult aspect to enjoy, but it's important nonetheless (plus having Asthma doesn't help). I used to have a negative attitude about exercising for many years, but I've come to accept it as part of my Kenpo training & just "part of class." I know it's good for my body, & vital to developing endurance, so I "just do it"! :)

Ok, that's my two-cents. Everybody have a Kenpo Day! :D

Oss,
Gin-Gin :asian:

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't vote for two, so I voted for self defense techniques. I love it all but if I could have voted for two, my other choice would have been history and traditions.:asian:

K

Kenpohermit

I picked conditioning because all the self-defense techniques, sparring techniques, sets, forms, basics etc. all are part of conditioning me to be effective...

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, my tongue was firmly in my cheek.
Keep an eye on the negative of this thread "What is your least favorite area of Kenpo" to see what it turns up
Richy.

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally enjoy doing the forms. The movements really improved my stance and strength.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Froms and sparring are very good. But the fluidity that comes from the hammering in of self-defense techniques and basic, thats where its at. Nothing like being able to flow from one technique to the next in a continuous motion.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No surprise to see that the Techniques and Forms are the most popular. It is interesting however, that the BASICS which make up all the movements are not so well liked.

Is that due to the way the art is taught to the students by the instructors or for some other reason? ..... hmmmmmm

:idunno:

Latest Discussions