What is your favorite area of Kenpo......

What is your favorite area of American Kenpo?

• Self Defense Techniques

• Forms

• Sets

• Basics

• Freestyle

• Conditioning

• History and Traditions

• Social

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Kenpomachine

I voted for self defense techs because I find them the most useful and I enjoy them a lot, even though I find them harder to acomplish proficiency at than forms.

They comprise basics and concepts and principles, and have no restraints in what you can do besides body mechanics. And they make you be aware of your environment, opponent included.

But still, I almost voted forms, which is what I do when there's no other one around to beat :D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the self defense techniques. It is satisfying to see immediately how they can truly work when executed properly. I find them highly useful.

However, the other stuff (forms/sets/basics) are definitely important and are a necessary part of my training in helping to coordinate moves.

- Ceicei

H

Hrrikane

Without the basics there would be no self defense techniques/forms/sets. You are only as good as your basics.

K

kenpofanatic

Oops, started a new thread.

Love doing forms, I feel peaceful after a couple of forms before going to class. :)

S

Shiatsu

Self defense, I don't care for forms at all. Yes I know they are needed, and they give a good base, I just don't like them.

K

kenpo12

I said basics because as fun is all of the other stuff may be, basics are what's going to save my butt.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
I said basics because as fun is all of the other stuff may be, basics are what's going to save my butt.

I think the poll asked which part of kenpo do you *enjoy* the most. Just curious if you feel the basics is what you enjoyed the most. I realize everyone's viewpoint will be different as to what they like.

- Ceicei

R

Rainman

sets, forms, freestyle, basics, techniques (offensive and defensive) and conditioning= samething- and they are all my favorites.

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for forms but the poll didn't include banging on bodies which is my favorite.:D

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted for 'social', overall it's the most important thing to me now that I think about it - pretty much all the friends I have are at the kenpo club now most of my school friends have moved away or lost contact.

If i had a second choice it'd be techniques though :)

Ian.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by satans.barber
I voted for 'social', overall it's the most important thing to me now that I think about it - pretty much all the friends I have are at the kenpo club now most of my school friends have moved away or lost contact.

If i had a second choice it'd be techniques though :)

Ian.

Social? You mean in a kind of bludgening way right? Or are you refering to the handshake at the end of class? :D Is there something else you are supposed to do with these people?:confused:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd not be without any speck of it! But if we are talking of sheer pleasure...
Self-Defense techs can't be beat, in my eyes.

Your Brother
John

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman
Social? You mean in a kind of bludgening way right? Or are you refering to the handshake at the end of class? :D Is there something else you are supposed to do with these people?:confused:

Noooo, i don't bludgeon them much :)

I live on my own, I've got no job, no girlfriend, no pets and I hardly ever see most of my family so I mean it - I really look forward to getting up to training and actually taking to people!

Ian.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of freestyle sparring and banging techniques, but as I turn 41 my body does not agree. Time to work on some forms.

Jeff

G

gman

Learning the techs is the best. But I have been working on the basics more as of late.

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite parts os Kenpo is filling in the dead space, re-arranging the technique and finding the reverse in the motions to counter the technique.

Bill Smith

T

TheRustyOne

Forms and techs...but forms most of all, so I voted for that.

Freestyle falls into third, and sparring is down there somewhere.

Latest Discussions