What is the purpose of a Taekwondo form?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by skribs, Nov 26, 2018.

1. pdg

pdg Senior Master

That's why I said "to help you find your own answers".

As above - plant a seed, if it sprouts help it grow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

Is it? Some consider it a "Block" for a linear attack directed to the same side lower abdomen. Some may say it's only used against a kick. Some my say it could also be used if an opponent dropped down and was trying to punch, and I have seen other camps claim it was to release from a same side wrist grab.

3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

"Even a thirsty man can't drink from a Firehose."

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

Yes, but how it grows depends on, if, how much, and what type of fertilizer you use. Some manure is better than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Too much too soon can burn a seedling though.

And some is just manure ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Yes, to all your examples. In the beginning it is enough to understand it is a block against, whatever, of the lower region. As a person learns and expands so can the block. General to specific.

7. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Disagree. We have to be on a different page. It is the teacher's most principal job to teach what the chamber and lead in/out is and how to do them. Yin Yang and all that is associated with it. It is much more elemental than you describe. For most people, we are slow to digest information in way we can process it. Finding what triggers the process people is difficult but as a teacher we have to try. I can come at the same person with the same information from different angles/perspectives and see the light come on. It takes time.

Agree. But if the student is never taught the fundamental elements correctly how can you ever expect them to understand the takedown, how to do it and when to apply it? You are jumping several steps forward in your example.

8. DaveB

DaveB Master Black Belt

- My explanation of a karate technique.
    - Skribs' response.

9. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    So the prediction was way wrong. Welcome to science.

10. skribs

skribs Senior Master

This is kind of what I was going for. I get that it's a personal journey and I can find my own meanings. But...what is the point of teaching me the moves in the form? As a teacher, what is it that the organization as a whole would want my students to get out of the forms?

When we're looking at it at this level, it's not about what my Master wants, so much as it is what the person who made the policy that every school will learn the forms that have these moves. And whether it's Taegeuks or not at my school, we follow the KKW curriculum for the black belt forms.

What I get from the forms is partially on me, partially on my Master, partially on the person that created the forms, and partially on the person telling my Master we have to teach the forms at my school. When I teach the forms to other students at my school, we've now added a 5th person in the mix. I can figure out what I get, I can ask my Master what he wants us to get, but the other pieces are what I'm asking for.

11. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Folks, I'm going to suggest that the debate on climate change has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. If it's going to continue it needs it's own thread.

12. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

As a teacher of a system part of my job is to teach the system so the student understands the system according to what the system is intended to convey and if they go anywhere in the wold to a school that teaches the same system they will fit right in. This is not to say I cannot also teach what I disagree with and why. However, I take care not to confuse students wit too much information, particularly at the lower ranks.

13. skribs

skribs Senior Master

Hence: this thread.

14. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Is your interpretation of what the system is intended to convey able to be defined within the confines of this particular medium (i.e. a thread on a forum)?

15. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Would it be possible to have the relevant posts split into a new thread, so we don’t lose the train of the discussion?

16. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Agree. I tapped out yesterday.

17. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I'll posit a valid question relevant to this thread. What is your definition of a "system"?

18. skribs

skribs Senior Master

In this case, the system is whatever organization is in charge of determining the forms that are used in a large number of Taekwondo dojangs.

19. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

First and foremost in my case it should not be my interpretation. I teach General Choi's system.He left us 15 Volumes for reference and video reference. So, if I teach something the student should never have to ask "Sir, you teach this and the materials show that." (This was often the case with instructors had less reference materials in the 1970'). Further, having been thru 7 instructor courses with the system founder I was able to fix close to 200 items I had misinterpreted or been taught differently. There are a few occasions where the materials may have gaps, errors and are subject to interpretations and having officiated and participated in several international events I can tell the student those infrequent occasions where different instructors do things differently. Being near O'Hare airport I get frequent visitors and transfers. Over the years these people are from more than 10 countries and numerous states, and they fit right in I asked a visitor once to watch 6 people perform a pattern and then say where they learned it - different countries / states. The visitor commented that he thought they were all my students from white belt because their technique was so similar. (Does this answer your question?)

20. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Good catch. Very interesting and potentially terrifying.