Is there a benefit to learning MORE forms?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by skribs, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Man, this needs to be reiterated...Often!

2. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    sure, but if you ever get the itch, let me know.

3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

This is the 1st form that you can learn from the long fist system. Many basic have been addressed such as:

- 1 step 1 punch,
    - 1 step 3 punches,
    - 3 steps 1 punch,
    - downward curve front kick,
    - use kick to set up punch,
    - kick and punch at the same time,
    - your punching arm, body, back shoulder make a straight line.
    - block and punch at the same time,
    - use jump kick to cover the distance,

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    It's not hidden.
    Sure, there's lots of self defense in those forms. But it's not hidden. Hence, it's not bunkai.

I don't know what you mean by MDK forms. Our MDK branch uses the Palgwae as the mandatory colored belt forms, with the Taegeuks optional for those who want KKW certification. We use the KKW Yudanja forms for Dan ranks. I also teach the Chang Hon forms if anyone is interested. None of those systems have any bunkai, although they all have a great deal of self defense.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Senior Master

I can only speak to the Chang Hon forms. First if "Bunkai" only refers to "Hidden" as opposed to application, than how do we define "Hidden" . If it is not explicitly stated in the materials is it "Hidden" .
    No where in General Choi;s materials does it state the textbook applications are meant to be exclusive or all encompassing. . In fact what he taught was to the contrary and the scenario went something like this. GC to the group"What is the application of this technique?" Student A : It is XXX sir (Non Text answer) GC to Student B : "Do you agree?" B: "No Sir, it is YYY." GC to student B "But he (A) says it is XXX so what do you say?" B "Sir I have your book and it states the purpose is YYY. " GC "He (A) says he does not care what the book says. How do we solve this problem? " The issue is resolved by having A show how / if XXX works and GC would say "If it works it is a good application. " His text states the patterns teach you Distance and direction. Then how you use the technique is limited only by how you might adapt it and practical considerations. This is basically a school of thought that patterns teach you how to move. How the movement is applied is limited only by practical considerations. Think back to "Wax On Wax off" . First Daniel was taught how to move. Then he was taught the application. (If you don't know what that refers to...) Stated applications are but a training tool to help you understand how the movement is supposed to be performed.
    So, if it i not specified - is it hidden?

• Like Like x 2
  6. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

no of course there isnt, not if the intended outcome is being able to fight efficiently, one is more than enough if it contains what you need,

you can practise balancing by balancing with out an additional form

yes learning new movement patterns is beneficial, but there lots you can do other than forms, learn to use tools, play pool, learning dancing or play an instrument, these give you additional skills on top of an ability to prance round the room, in sequence

7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Sometime we may give more credit to the form creator than the form creator truly deserved.

A: Dear master! In that old video of yours, when you did that form toward the end, you moved your hip in a small circle, is there any hidden application for that?
    B: When I did that form, a wasp landed on my hip and I tried to get ride of it.
    A: ...:D

If the "intention" is not there, the application is not there. When a traffic cop directs traffic, he is not training any MA.

[​IMG]123

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2