What is Shin Nagare Karate?

Discussion in 'Japanese Martial Arts - General' started by AlwaysTraining, Jan 13, 2006.

1. I've heard that it is a shotokan derivative. Outside of that, I don't know anything about it. Anybody out there familiar with it? What are it's differences from "shotokan", etc?

2. jujutsu_indonesia

jujutsu_indonesia Black Belt

Maybe the founder of this style wants to emphasis that this is a new style, because shin = new, nagare = stream.

3. gtmazzeo

gtmazzeo Guest

well i have been studing it for a month now . what i understand that its traditional shotokan with nontradtional . we do both . first we learn the traditional way and then the mixed martial arts way and put it together . its jujitsu, akido, kempo, some kunfu , gunfu , and freestyle kickboxing . we learn the grappeling and breaks for self defense , traditional for kata and techniques , and everything else for fighting and competing . it is great and my teachers are awesome . they give me one on one instruction as well as class time . alexanders martial arts in huntsville , al has been the best thing to ever happen to me besides my wife and family .. hope this can help you ...

Garth Mazzeo

4. Yama_Ryu

Yama_Ryu White Belt

Link to full page

5. ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod Senior Master

The only place I recognize the name from is http://www.brooksmartialarts.com/pcma/arts_001.htm
    That is the site for the Professional Combined Martial Arts Assoc.
    They will promote you in that style if you join their group and follow their requirements.

AoG

6. rnewquist

rnewquist White Belt

Shin Nagare Karate was founded in the 1980s by Leo Wilson Shihan, who was also the founder of Midori Yama Budokai (as linked above by Yama_Ryu). The style is an outgrowth of Shotokan, but it's been heavily influenced by American kickboxing (specifically the kicking style of Bill "Superfoot" Wallace) and by Tang Soo Do. Many SNK schools also work jujitsu into the program, although the degree to which that is done varies wildly from dojo to dojo.

You can find out more here.