Transitioning from Tang Soo Do to Shotokan

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm really interested in a lot of the arts that they have in Hawaii, however, most of the ones I want to train in are very expensive...especially if I want to get my family involved...which I do.

I have a chance to train in Shotokan, the SKIF variety, however. It'll cost $25 per month. I have prior experience in Shotokan (brown belt) and I've been training in Tang Soo Do for 12 years.

Does anyone else train in SKIF? How do you think the transition will go? What are the major differences? I know that Shotokan and TSD are very similar, but not completely.

maunakumu

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SKIF is Kanazawa Shihan's organization, and they're 2 million members strong throughout the world.

The material is pretty much similar to that taught by the JKA, although Kanazawa is more flexible in his teachings, and infuses things from other systems. For example, I've noticed that a good number of their schools teach kata Seipai (a Goju Ryu kata), along with Seienchin (Shito Ryu), neither of which are in the "original" JKA syllabus.

You'll find Shotokan Karate to be similar to Tang Soo Do, in terms of techniques, as well as methods. The kata taught follow a similar pattern as what you learned in TSD, starting out with Taikyoku series, Heian series, Naihanchi, Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai, Gankaku, etc. Each of those above mentioned kata are also taught in TSD, if I'm not mistaken (Pyung Ahn, Pal Che, Kong Sang Koon, Jindo, etc.).

CTope

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm really interested in a lot of the arts that they have in Hawaii, however, most of the ones I want to train in are very expensive...especially if I want to get my family involved...which I do.

I have a chance to train in Shotokan, the SKIF variety, however. It'll cost $25 per month. I have prior experience in Shotokan (brown belt) and I've been training in Tang Soo Do for 12 years.

Does anyone else train in SKIF? How do you think the transition will go? What are the major differences? I know that Shotokan and TSD are very similar, but not completely.

maunakumu

Shotokan focuses on kata the first day which helps create your own fighting style as you learn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shotokan focuses on kata the first day which helps create your own fighting style as you learn.

Perhaps some instructors do it that way but it's not universal. Besides the thread is from 2008 and it's more than likely the OP which hasn't been seen here for many a year now has already chosen his style.

Latest Discussions