Master Oyama endurance

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was asking myself, how could a guy like Mas Oyama endure freezing point situations by walking half naked. I also saw him sitting under a river fall which is amazing. does anyone have any idea about these kinds of training?. In my opinion, I think that Mas Oyama was a real gifted human in such trainings.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it all depends on how hard you want to push yourself to condition your body.
some people teach this way still.......but you would have a hard time finding a teacher like this in a commercial dojo.
being a student of a teacher like this requires a different kind of commitment to both yourself and your teacher as well.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what about his bull fights, does that need training, I don't think so. I think that Oyama is a natural borned fighter.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
what about his bull fights, does that need training, I don't think so. I think that Oyama is a natural borned fighter.

Oyama trained very hard every day. i think in addition to his natural abilities it helps a lot.
as far as the conditioning goes.......you have to "do" in order for it to have an effect on strengthening not only your body, but your resolve as well.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:

I doubt you go to a class and learn how to fight bulls bear handed. I think he exceled so much, he sought unique ways to challenge himself. you don't teach that.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
In my opinion, I think that Mas Oyama was a real gifted human in such trainings.

There's no doubt that Oyama Sosai was a naturally gifted fellow. He wasn't by any means, a lightweight, and had a larger frame on which he could build that the "typical" Asian.

Natural talents can take you a certain distance, but in Oyama's case, he would put himself through a gruelling workout routine that kept him in tip-top shape. If you look at some of the pictures of him, he is a rather impressive physical specimen.

I suspect that his pain receptors were rather dull compared to a normal human being's. Given all of the full contact hits he took throughout his life, it wouldn't have been surprising to see the condition of such nerves, if they even existed anymore. That might explain why he was able to tolerate extremes that ordinary folks couldn't.

Combine all of the above with a strong mental discipline, and that could very well give you an answer.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
There's no doubt that Oyama Sosai was a naturally gifted fellow. He wasn't by any means, a lightweight, and had a larger frame on which he could build that the "typical" Asian.

Natural talents can take you a certain distance, but in Oyama's case, he would put himself through a gruelling workout routine that kept him in tip-top shape. If you look at some of the pictures of him, he is a rather impressive physical specimen.

I suspect that his pain receptors were rather dull compared to a normal human being's. Given all of the full contact hits he took throughout his life, it wouldn't have been surprising to see the condition of such nerves, if they even existed anymore. That might explain why he was able to tolerate extremes that ordinary folks couldn't.

Combine all of the above with a strong mental discipline, and that could very well give you an answer.

Well I agree on everything you said, except that lightweight issue. I don't think that this factor helped him. If you watched an instructional video called "This is Kungfu", you will see a part where a young girl is exposed to almost a pyramid of dumbells over her body, each dumbell weighs 20KG, and it looks that more than half a ton were put on her body!. I think that endurance issues for any person does not depend on the human size or muscles. It is more concerned about internal energy aspects.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
No offense, but the bull fight was a sham.

Well it may be a Sham, but expect everything from such a master. I mean saying the truth about such a master must be said: Mas Oyama is an excellent fighter, but may not be the best in skill and technique, but when it comes to endurance and power, sorry my friend, there is no sham, it is true 100%, because that what made him different from Legends like Bruce Lee, Morihei Ueshiba, Funakoshi, Yipman, and Toshitsugu Takamatsu.

Also if these endurance stuff he did was a sham, he would not be that popular, because those masters I mentioned were more faster and skilled when it comes to fighting.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I honestly do not know if Oyama's Bull fight was a sham or
not. It does look like he was highly conditioned. Simply look at
his Kyokushinkai students and you will see some very conditioned
martial artists. My experience with Kyokushinkai people is that
they were in top notch shape and not afraid of contact in the
least.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
which one?
or all of them?

According to Jon Bluming, who studied under Oyama and was there at the time, there was only one fight and it was with an ox, not a bull. The story just continued to get more distorted and exaggerated from there.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
According to Jon Bluming, who studied under Oyama and was there at the time, there was only one fight and it was with an ox, not a bull. The story just continued to get more distorted and exaggerated from there.
i read that article. he basically trashes all the breaking tricks as b.s.- as much as he tries to throw in the "respect"- Oyama was just another showman doing what showman do (he learned alot during his wrestling days...)

frankly- the current crop of MMA fighters probably train just as hard as any of the old karate masters .

if anyone would bother to look at Oyama (who was korean not japanese) in his later years- he got bulky like the rest of us old dudes.

Oyama created his own myth like many others in the arts.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
i read that article. he basically trashes all the breaking tricks as b.s.- as much as he tries to throw in the "respect"- Oyama was just another showman doing what showman do (he learned alot during his wrestling days...)

frankly- the current crop of MMA fighters probably train just as hard as any of the old karate masters .

if anyone would bother to look at Oyama (who was korean not japanese) in his later years- he got bulky like the rest of us old dudes.

Oyama created his own myth like many others in the arts.

Well, you have a point.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
With Oyama when? What time frame?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, we shouldn't doubt that Oyama was one of the great masters. Exactly how many bulls he fought and how fit they were is another matter. John Bluming is often compared to Gene LeBell, but he has a bit of a personality cult in his own right that brings out some rather hard to believe stories about his own greatness in Japan - still, he trained lots of top kickboxers, so his talent there is real.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rook said:
Well, we shouldn't doubt that Oyama was one of the great masters. Exactly how many bulls he fought and how fit they were is another matter. John Bluming is often compared to Gene LeBell, but he has a bit of a personality cult in his own right that brings out some rather hard to believe stories about his own greatness in Japan - still, he trained lots of top kickboxers, so his talent there is real.

I couldn't agree more. Believe me, this wasn't meant to be a 'bash Oyama campaign' on my part. I'd heard there'd been a little exaggeration and storytelling going on when it came to some of the amazing feats attributed to Oyama. It raises some questions and I really don't know what to believe but I honestly don't care either. I think he's an amazing martial arts icon regardless. :asian:

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
I couldn't agree more. Believe me, this wasn't meant to be a 'bash Oyama campaign' on my part. I'd heard there'd been a little exaggeration and storytelling going on when it came to some of the amazing feats attributed to Oyama. It raises some questions and I really don't know what to believe but I honestly don't care either. I think he's an amazing martial arts icon regardless. :asian:

Definately. Oyama clearly had some very real skill and ability on his own part. Exactly how many bulls he fought or in what condition they were in is open to debate. Same deal with his Judo credentials - he may have been anywhere from 1- to 5- dan with 4-dan most often cited. In any case, he was an extraordinary fighter and a truly talented coach, as well as a skilled salesman.

Latest Discussions