What fiction book are you currently reading?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reading a lot of science fiction as usual. I finished Cobra guardian by Timothy Zahn a few days go, a great book. Just got started on The Green and the Gray, also by Zahn. Plan to pick up a book by Isaac Asimov next, maybe The Gods themselves.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Naval Institute Press
Love the Repairman Jack books, has the revamped Nightworld been released?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
In an effort to keep this topic alive.

I picked up the Dark Knight Rises novelization by Greg Cox last night. There is a lot in the movie I want cleared up and in more detail, which is where novelizations shine. It's written in an omnipotent first person perspective which I like. Cox is a good writer so this far it's not been bad. It's also over 400 pages which I like.

It's the workweek so I can't get through the whole thing in one day. I'm up to the first batcave scene. So far there are some nice details.

-Gordon is now 56.
-Blake has been on the force for a year and only made 12 arrests.
-The scene where Alfred told Bruce to make his bed and get back at it, the scene that follows with the made bed that in the movie implied Bruce making the bed in the novel is interpreted as Alfred as Bruce not having slept.
-Bruce was working on the batcave in the intervening years, only having abandoned it in the past 3 months.
-The batcomputer is built upon 7 Cray Supercomputers that rivals the NSA in computing power

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, really, my tastes are eclectic or weird, whatever...
Now reading:When Libby met the Fairies and her whole life went fae
by Kirsten Mortensen
It is different, I like it. Red Shirts is on deck

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My tablet came with a Kobo Books app, so I decided to check it out. Being the cheap...I mean frugal person that I am, I checked on the availability of free titles. Sure enough, there are a few, including Mark Twain's Roughing It, which I'm reading now.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading W.E.B.Griffin's latest in the Men at War series, The Spymasters. It is really pissing me off. From FDR claiming to have spoken to Teddy Roosevelt about the dangerous man Hitler was, when Teddy DIED in 1919 before Hitler came to prominence... To FDR and others complaining about the UN, which wasn't created until 1945, btw, after FDR was DEAD, the errors annoy me, the tempo sucks. Sadly, I think at 83, Griffin's best days are far behind him.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry if there were spoilers, but, the errors have kinda spoiled the experience for me...
I'm reading W.E.B.Griffin's latest in the Men at War series, The Spymasters. It is really pissing me off. From FDR claiming to have spoken to Teddy Roosevelt about the dangerous man Hitler was, when Teddy DIED in 1919 before Hitler came to prominence... To FDR and others complaining about the UN, which wasn't created until 1945, btw, after FDR was DEAD, the errors annoy me, the tempo sucks. Sadly, I think at 83, Griffin's best days are far behind him.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kill Shot, by Vince Flynn. It is the second book in the early career of Mitch Rapp, the assassin tasked with killing Islamic terrorists and their supporters. The first book, American Assassin, wasn't as good, it might have to do with Vince Flynn's fight with cancer at the time, but this one is better. I like Rapp's character because he enjoys his work. In one part of the book he thinks to himself that "Killing these a******s is all the therapy I need." I think the closest you could come to an actor for Mitch Rapp would be Karl Urban in the movie Red. Although he wasn't playing Mitch Rapp, he might as well have been. The controlled rage and the intensity was really close to the Rapp character and is one reason why I hope Urban was chosen over Eric Bana and some others, to play Rapp in the upcoming movie.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bristlecone, by Steve Perry. E-book only, I believe. Interesting spy/action piece, kind of along the line of the movie RED. Old, "retired" agent/operators are forced back into action...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Big Don. I signed up at Baen and picked up Monster Hunter Legion for $6.00. I miss going to bookstores, it was a nice quiet place to go to clear the mind, but I have to say, clicking a few buttons and getting a book is kinda neat, especially when more than a few books are at the prices close to what I paid when I was in junior high.

Latest Discussions