What fiction book are you currently reading?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm reading Woman of Stones a novella by Meredith Allard. It's a free Kindle download from amazon, but quite well written - it's about the adulterous woman who Jesus saves from a stoning, telling the events that led up to that point along with a short epilogue. I supposed it qualifies as feminist fiction on some level but I don't feel hit over the head with the message. Recommended.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally read Ender's Game yesterday. Holy crap did that suck. I don't wanna give too much away but the end was a cop out and we are never treated to a real battle (in space, on the ground or anywhere else) in a book about war. It was the friggin game the whole time, and I'm mad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally read Ender's Game yesterday. Holy crap did that suck. I don't wanna give too much away but the end was a cop out and we are never treated to a real battle (in space, on the ground or anywhere else) in a book about war. It was the friggin game the whole time, and I'm mad.

You didn't get that from the very first????

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I read that last year, I think. Yeah. suck.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lol. Enders game was great, but its juvenile fiction. It's in the same category as Harry potter or the like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished King of Thorns, the sequel to Prince of Thorns. Wow, it outdoes the first book and I thought Prince of Thorns was very entertaining, though quite dark.

Recommended if you don't mind the protagonist being half-evil himself.
I've been wanting to read this but I have a bad habit of getting engrossed in trilogies before they're finshed and get left hanging. Emperor of Thrones isn't supposed to be released until Aug. 2013.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been wanting to read this but I have a bad habit of getting engrossed in trilogies before they're finshed and get left hanging. Emperor of Thrones isn't supposed to be released until Aug. 2013.

I guess I'm not so bothered by incomplete series. I'm eagerly holding on for George R. R. Martin to finish his series. I did go back and scan Prince of Thorns prior to reading King of Thorns just for a refresher.

One of my favorite fantasy series will apparently never be finished by the author, who got writer's block along with some secretive personal problems after she wrote book #2. She is publishing books in a totally unrelated world now, but I don't think she has any intention of going back and trying to complete volume 3. That one does chap me some.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just start reading the GRRM books. There's no magic to reading them all at once. Truth be told, old fat-*** like him, he's gonna be dead before he's done likely or not.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just start reading the GRRM books. There's no magic to reading them all at once. Truth be told, old fat-*** like him, he's gonna be dead before he's done likely or not.
You may well be right. That's another one of my unfinished readings and at his rate..hmm.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never got the "I'm gonna wait till the series is done to read it" thing. It just makes you that much further behind, that many more people know what happens before you (and will spoil it). Imagine if some dude said he's gonna wait for the series to end to see how it plays out with Mack Bolan or Superman, some crazy wait huh?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't wait for a series to be done, but, I cannot bring myself to read one book of a series and not the rest. Which is why I just reread all of the Dresden Files, since the new book was coming out.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's only because I forget everything leading up to the new book and have to reread most of it. One serjes is okay, but 3 series makes it all just confusing. You'll see when you get to be an old fart like me.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Re-reading as many of Robert Rankin's books as I can get through over the holidays.
Currently up to The Brentford Triangle.
Hilarious sequel to his Antipope.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last Read - Tom Clancy's Splintery Cell - Operation Barracuda, by David Michaels (Raymond Benson). I'm no video gamer so don't ask, I got the book because it's Tom Clancy and Raymond Benson (who wrote 6 James Bond novels). As always, Clancy's plotting, pace, etc is great. As always Benson's characterization is garbage. A good action novel, not great.

Current Read - James Bond - Icebreaker by John Gardner. Palette cleanser with one of the best Bond novels from the second best author in the series (after Ian of course). Haven't read it in a few years so it's almost new again.