What fiction book are you currently reading?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Windrider's Oath by Weber, it is OK so far, I don't seem to be enjoying it as much as I did the previous books in the series.

Old Man's War by Scalzi, very very good so far.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raven's Shadow.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravens-Shadow...r=8-1&keywords=raven's+shadow+by+anthony+ryan

I couldn't believe this book had so many 5 star reviews, but it is a quality book. Also, you can get it for kindle for 1.50. The writing is really good and the story is interesting so far. I have just started it and I would have to say that the beginning is 5 stars. I hope the rest of the book keeps that rating. This is about a swordman trained in a Hogwarts school, if hogwarts trained warriors and was interesting. I never understood the interest in Harry Potter, so this book will fill that gap.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Way of the Wolf by E.E. Knight. Book one from the Vampire Earth series.
I didn't expect much. Actually I thought it was going to be just another Vampire book for teens with sweetly romance and love drama. The book was a gift and I decided that the least thing I could do was to try read it because it would be disrespectfull otherwise. And I was surprised. The book is actually quite good, there is no charming vampires and the author has really created something new and original. I am looking forward to reading the second book :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Go Tell the Spartans by Jerry Pournelle and S.M. Stirling
The Mote into God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
both books are Sci Fi and they are genious

The Falkenberg's Legion series is very good military sci-fi, they are like the infantry version of Drake's Hammer's Slammers and the two could quite easily co-exist in the same universe. As I recall even the planet names are very similar.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rereading the Dresden files in no particular order. On Grave Peril at the moment. I am enjoying it more the second time around.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
With this post I will probably confirm that I am a bibliophile but here it goes :D
I’ve just finished reading: Kingmaker, Kingbreaker : The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller aaand its not good. I kept on hoping that it will turn for the better in the last pages but it never did. There are some strong points but the whole book is static, almost uneventful, the characters don’t have depth, don’t change and the paste is so slow it is a pure torture reading it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. An amusing meta-Star Trek romp seen through the eyes of the guys who always get killed during the away missions.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. An amusing meta-Star Trek romp seen through the eyes of the guys who always get killed during the away missions.

So it's good. I saw it and wanted to pick it up. On a side note, picked a whole load of books at the used book store. At 4 for a dollar I now have every Clancy, Ludlum, Trevanian, LeCarre, Hamilton (Matt Helm series) and a couple other random ones.

Read The Hunt For Red October in the past few evenings.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My dad picked up a first edition copy of Hunt for Red October in a thrift store for $2 a few years ago.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad picked up a first edition copy of Hunt for Red October in a thrift store for $2 a few years ago.

Too bad that wasn't signed. The Naval Isititute one, or the Penguin Putnam one?

I haven't had much time for pleasure reading over the last 15 years or so, but that's changing now, and I'm loving it....

Right now, I'm finishing up the last of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack novels, Nightworld. I've been looking forward to it, and I'll be sorry to see Jack go, but I think some of the direction he took it in was a bit thin.....

What I'm really looking forward to, though, is revisiting an old friend. I've picked up all Patricia Highsmith's novels, so Tom Ripley and I wll be reaqcuainted....before there was Dexter (who I really love) there was The Talented Mr. Ripley....

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished "Ghost Brigades" by Scalzi, not as good as "Old Man's War" but readable.

Just started Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, fun so far.

Just starting reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for my son.

We use audiobooks for when we are driving, we just finished the audiobook of Swiss Family Robinson yesterday, so today we started on Treasure Island. I have to give thanks to librevox.org for providing free audiobooks, the reader of Swiss Family Robinson was so-so, but the one for Treasure Island is very good. Get (free!) resource.

And for me, I started Torch of Freedom by Weber on audiobook as well, I suspect it will fill in alot of the backstory on A Rising Thunder that I was clearly missing.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me my favorite has always been Rainbow 6. Great book, great action scenes. It's the first book of his I have multiple editions of.

But I must point out I'm a big fan of the huge airport novel styled technothriller. Big f-ing books.

Latest Discussions