What do you think of a stick(kali) and nunchaku at the same time?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree. The ability to switch hands (especially when setting up strikes) is a huge strength of the nunchaku as you move it around your body.
I'm not an expert with nunchaku, but I'd tend to agree with this from my experience. If they stay in one hand, you are lmited at each moment as to which targets are available. If, at the end of a movement/attack, you have the option of changing hands, you have some new targets and directions of striking available. It seems to me that the nature of the nunchaku make switching hands advantageous, assuming there's no kali stick in the other.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an expert with nunchaku, but I'd tend to agree with this from my experience. If they stay in one hand, you are lmited at each moment as to which targets are available. If, at the end of a movement/attack, you have the option of changing hands, you have some new targets and directions of striking available. It seems to me that the nature of the nunchaku make switching hands advantageous, assuming there's no kali stick in the other.

I'm not either, by a long shot, but it's the weapon I'm actively studying in kobudo, and I'm finding this to be true as I practice.

In Arnis, I strongly prefer one stick and the ability to grasp it with both hands - aka "dos manos" - and switch hands, over two sticks as well.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not either, by a long shot, but it's the weapon I'm actively studying in kobudo, and I'm finding this to be true as I practice.

In Arnis, I strongly prefer one stick and the ability to grasp it with both hands - aka "dos manos" - and switch hands, over two sticks as well.

You prefer it because you are more comfortable with it or you prefer it because you win fights against double stick fighters with a single stick?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You prefer it because you are more comfortable with it or you prefer it because you win fights against double stick fighters with a single stick?
I'd hesitate to use a double-stick opponent as the only measure for single- vs. double-stick technique. Each has advantages. With double-stick, there's no access to empty hand technique, which may have advantages in some contexts (though probably not against a skilled double-stick fighter).

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score

Both, actually. It's much, much harder to fight with two weapons in hand than one, in my experience.

Not that double-stick (or double weapon) isn't useful - it absolutely is. But brass tacks, I'd rather have the live hand available.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd hesitate to use a double-stick opponent as the only measure for single- vs. double-stick technique. Each has advantages. With double-stick, there's no access to empty hand technique, which may have advantages in some contexts (though probably not against a skilled double-stick fighter).

Well, double stick guy can always drop a stick if needed. A single stick fighter Can generate a bit more power than the double stick guy, but against a decently skilled double stick guy I have been able to defensively stalemate a match, but it will be hard to win.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Both, actually. It's much, much harder to fight with two weapons in hand than one, in my experience.

Not that double-stick (or double weapon) isn't useful - it absolutely is. But brass tacks, I'd rather have the live hand available.

I was a single stick fighter for many years so I completely agree that it is an easier method and would say that it is more functional as a practical application of FMA. But against a decent double stickfighter you have a long row to hoe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, double stick guy can always drop a stick if needed. A single stick fighter Can generate a bit more power than the double stick guy, but against a decently skilled double stick guy I have been able to defensively stalemate a match, but it will be hard to win.
The dropping of a stick is a move to single-stick, which is why I didn't mention it. Yes, someone doing double-stick can switch to single-stick pretty quickly, but that negates the whole comparison.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was a single stick fighter for many years so I completely agree that it is an easier method and would say that it is more functional as a practical application of FMA. But against a decent double stickfighter you have a long row to hoe.

Yes, but having the live hand to grab, trap, etc. is a huge advantage if you know what you're doing (especially if you start using dos manos techniques, very helpful in terms of blocking, IMO). There is a reason why most peoples who went to war typically did so with a weapon in one hand, and a shield on the other (versus double weapons).

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see, yeah, maybe it should be used in a sabre like way, when you are using both at the same time, use the stick to create distance then strike. I'm also thinking you can use them interchangably, use only one side, then switch weapons when you see an opportunity. That's what I imagine would look cool about this combination.
So, limiting the effectiveness of both weapons, by removing the ability to switch hands, limiting the majority of your strikes to same side only so as to not jam the other weapon, and fighting essentially with one weapon at a time would look cool? As I've already stated, it is not a combination you see in Japanese arts or FMA, they've both had the weapons for hundreds of years. You don't see it in Dog Brother fights, and almost anything goes there.

Grab yourself a pair of nunchaku and a stick and try it out for yourself. Experienced people are saying it is a bad mix, someone else has tried it and said it's a bad mix. Go make it work!

Latest Discussions