What do you think of a stick(kali) and nunchaku at the same time?

Robato

White Belt
Reaction score
I think it would look cool to see the stick deflect attacks and the nunchacku will strike.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stick is more effective and more adaptable IMO than the nunchaku, so I'd rather have two of them if I had to have a weapon in both hands.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never actually known a good chucka man. Known some really good stick men, though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When did Catholic nuns enter this discussion? And why are they carrying shields?

because KUNG FU. Thats why.

you know when people say that if it doesnt exist on you tube. Then it doesn't exist.

There are Kung fu nuns on youtube.

Just sayin.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Must rather have two sticks than a stick and nunchucku, or a stick and shield, stick and empty hand, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must rather have two sticks than a stick and nunchucku, or a stick and shield, stick and empty hand, etc.
I have far more techniques for empty hand than for stick, so I'd rather keep one hand empty. If I were well-trained in Kali, that would likely change.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would see having trouble using both at the same time, anytime time either weapon crosses center line, too much potential for getting your weapons jammed up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would see having trouble using both at the same time, anytime time either weapon crosses center line, too much potential for getting your weapons jammed up.
When I first pictured this, I imagined the stick being held back-handed against the forearm, to keep it out of the way. It would largely by only useful as a blocking device. Personally, I'd feel better-armed holding it fore-handed and throwing the nunchuku at the other guy really hard. If I'm lucky enought that the catches it and tries to use it, he's more likely to hit himself than me.:D

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got up and tested this a bit ago.

The nunchaku's striking angles are limited and awkward, coupled with the fact that you only have one hand to maneuvre it in the first place. I like to flip sticks from hand to hand on single stick, so it's even more awkward for the stick, and I need to treat it like a sabre/other pointy stabby weapon.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got up and tested this a bit ago.

The nunchaku's striking angles are limited and awkward, coupled with the fact that you only have one hand to maneuvre it in the first place. I like to flip sticks from hand to hand on single stick, so it's even more awkward for the stick, and I need to treat it like a sabre/other pointy stabby weapon.
While I agree entirely with the premise that a stick and a nunchuck would not work as well, I think we should leave experimenting with it to someone who is an expert with both weapons. AFAIK, none of the active members on this forum would claim to be an expert with both weapons.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree entirely with the premise that a stick and a nunchuck would not work as well, I think we should leave experimenting with it to someone who is an expert with both weapons. AFAIK, none of the active members on this forum would claim to be an expert with both weapons.
I'm an expert at hitting myself with one of them. Does that count?

Latest Discussions