What do you think of a stick(kali) and nunchaku at the same time?

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nunchaku need room to really be effective, and a stick would get in the way.

Plus, why handicap yourself to only being able to use the nunchaku in one hand? Being able to switch hands as needed is one of the advantages of the weapon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plus, why handicap yourself to only being able to use the nunchaku in one hand? Being able to switch hands as needed is one of the advantages of the weapon.
Now you want me to be able to hit myself from BOTH sides??

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I agree entirely with the premise that a stick and a nunchuck would not work as well, I think we should leave experimenting with it to someone who is an expert with both weapons. AFAIK, none of the active members on this forum would claim to be an expert with both weapons.
I figure if it isn't a combination you would see in Japanese arts (nunchaku and hanbo) or FMA or Dog Brothers, there is probably a reason.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I imagine that combination would make for a great film! For practical self-defense I fail to see any practicality of using both.

OP
R

Robato

White Belt
Reaction score

My idea of it would be a dual weilding kind of thing. You parry with the stick and simultaneously strike with the nunchuck. Then you follow up, hitting with the stick.

OP
R

Robato

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm also thinking you can use the stick to create distance and enter with the nunchuk at an unexpected angle.

OP
R

Robato

White Belt
Reaction score
I got up and tested this a bit ago.

The nunchaku's striking angles are limited and awkward, coupled with the fact that you only have one hand to maneuvre it in the first place. I like to flip sticks from hand to hand on single stick, so it's even more awkward for the stick, and I need to treat it like a sabre/other pointy stabby weapon.
I see, yeah, maybe it should be used in a sabre like way, when you are using both at the same time, use the stick to create distance then strike. I'm also thinking you can use them interchangably, use only one side, then switch weapons when you see an opportunity. That's what I imagine would look cool about this combination.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, yeah, maybe it should be used in a sabre like way, when you are using both at the same time, use the stick to create distance then strike. I'm also thinking you can use them interchangably, use only one side, then switch weapons when you see an opportunity. That's what I imagine would look cool about this combination.
Switch weapons with both hands full? That's a recipe for disaster.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sort of. There is this thing with weapons where guys come up with this really clever methods of using them but are just generally never as good a move as holding one end and hitting them with the other. (karabits anybody? )

Nun chucks fall well in to this category. Or switching hands with a set of Chucks do not give you that much of an advantage.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Put the 'chucks in your back pocket, and then hit him with the stick. That's the only way I would recommend it.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it would look cool to see the stick deflect attacks and the nunchacku will strike.
Hey :) would you say it was your primary aim with these two weapons mostly to look cool?

I think mixing tools from two different methodologies may work in that regard (and if you know a choreographer who can help add extra prettiness I think that could be useful too)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I choose nunchucks
Nun+Chucks.jpg

you cant lose. But you probably wont win either

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
My idea of it would be a dual weilding kind of thing. You parry with the stick and simultaneously strike with the nunchuck. Then you follow up, hitting with the stick.

Nunchaku. Not nunchuck.

I think you'd look super-cool when it rebounds and hits you in the face, as would probably happen.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sort of. There is this thing with weapons where guys come up with this really clever methods of using them but are just generally never as good a move as holding one end and hitting them with the other. (karabits anybody? )

Nun chucks fall well in to this category. Or switching hands with a set of Chucks do not give you that much of an advantage.

I'm going to disagree. The ability to switch hands (especially when setting up strikes) is a huge strength of the nunchaku as you move it around your body.

Latest Discussions