What do you thing about......

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you thing about the dobok? Personaly I think and feel that the dobok is more confortable to wear then the traditional gi (the cross over one or traditional karate-gi). When we do busy classes almost all the times my dobok stays in one piece and minimal arrengment has to be made, at teh end of the class before doing meditation we have to straighten up our doboks but is all. One the other had the regular gi I have to straighten up several times during class. Yes the traditional gi is prettier then the dobok for me but sometimes I don't like to expose my hairy and sweaty chest. I think for women the dobok is better.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to think I have no chest hair.....

And to avoid 'exposure, i wear a T shirt underneath (cross over style uniform)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still prefer the traditional cross over gi myself, although I will agree that having to straighten it out through out class can sometimes get annoying, it still looks better in my opinion. I just cover my hairy, sweaty chest with an undershirt and the rest of the students thank me for it on a regular basis. :)

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I liked the cross over, then switched to V neck. Now that I'm in my 40's. I wish I hadn't changed. It seems the Love handles show more in a V neck.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If hairy, sweaty chests grossed me out, I'd have to get divorced. My husband is basically an orangutan, hairwise. :wink2:

I've never worn a dobok (we are required to all wear the same uniform until we reach black belt, and it's a crossover), but a lot of our black belts switch to them as soon as they reach that rank, and they generally like them better. I probably won't; I just much prefer the look of the traditional crossover gi.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have only trained a couple of times in the cross over type gi. Keeping it closed and in place drove me nuts. I like the dobok it stays in place better and to me is more comfortable.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the v-neck dobak is next to useless for the type of training I do.

If you have a vigorous long workout, you will saturate the v-neck with your sweat, even if you are using one of the better uniforms with wicking material. It's just a fact of life because the fabric used in v-necks is so light.

The v-neck is also useless for training throws. It's just not sturdy enough to stand up to a grab and throw which happens inadvertently all the time when you train grappling.

It is a nice uniform for hot days when you might be planning a light workout. I believe in function over form, and it seems to me that the v-neck uniform is unsubstantial at best.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
true, you do any type of close proximity with a 'TKD' uniform material failure is just a matter of time, they are just not made for that. That's why we got real BJJ uniforms to replace our spiffy Minor Study black V necks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
true, you do any type of close proximity with a 'TKD' uniform material failure is just a matter of time, they are just not made for that. That's why we got real BJJ uniforms to replace our spiffy Minor Study black V necks.

Yeah, but I wonder how anyone can even train in them unless they don't perspire at all. I'm a heavy sweater and these v-necks to me no matter the 'quality' hold as much sweat as a cheap $10 student uniform does. From a previous discussion on MT, I gather a lot of people wear t-shirts or UnderArmour underneath them and it helps some.

Yuck.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One point of correction here - BOTH are Doboks. The v-neck and cross over. A dobok is a training uniform. The word "gi" is a japanese term for uniform. While the cross over dobok looks just like the japanese gi, the cross over dobok was the one originally worn by all of the kwan founders, the v-neck is a more recent innovation in uniforms.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One point of correction here - BOTH are Doboks. The v-neck and cross over. A dobok is a training uniform. The word "gi" is a japanese term for uniform. While the cross over dobok looks just like the japanese gi, the cross over dobok was the one originally worn by all of the kwan founders, the v-neck is a more recent innovation in uniforms.

Thanks for making that clear I mean people really believe the two words mean something different?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for making that clear I mean people really believe the two words mean something different?

It is no problem. Many TKD schools use only English now and are subject to the same conceptions about words related to the martial arts that any one has. Gi is a Japanese word, Dobok is a Korean word, they mean the same thing. I'm just into the heritage of our styles - we should pay respect to the Korean heritage, by at the minimum knowing the meanings of the words that we do use.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
we must wear only the cross over style dobok at our club as our GM absolutely hates the v-neck style. I hate having to adjust my uniform every 5 minutes and would love to try the v-neck style but I cant see it ever happening unfortunately.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we must wear only the cross over style dobok at our club as our GM absolutely hates the v-neck style. I hate having to adjust my uniform every 5 minutes and would love to try the v-neck style but I cant see it ever happening unfortunately.

LOL

adjust it once, maybe twice:

Before bowing in, before bowing out. Unless you are female and forgot your T shirt, NO problem! :)

(and what's the deal with turning your back to whomever when tugging on the uniform? and doing so in right turns only?)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't mind the crossover as long as it doesn't have that system of waist ties. (The cotton's impossible for me to untie once it gets wet.) If the pants have a more futuristic setup with elastic and a drawstring, I don't much care either way.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find that the crossover uniform (with inside ties to keep it closed) requires much less adjustment than the V-Neck version. And the V-Neck feels drenched by the end of class... :( I can't speak for the crossover though, as I haven't worn it during a full class.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, yes I have a hary chest and my wife like it a lot. Yes I use a tshirt under my dobok or gi (I have both) for a few reasons, the first is for higine and looks (I have to realice not every female has the tastes of my wife) and this shirts help to absorb most my sweat, however there are some times that I forgot the shirt and then I have to train only with the dobok or gi uniform and in those cases the dobok is better then the gi.

For my it's more confortable to use a dobok in a very intense tkd class then the gi, and yes I like the most the gi for looks.

Manny

Latest Discussions