What do you look for in a training hall?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

How would you choose your dojo, studio, training hall? What criteria would you use for yourself? Would this be different for your mother, child, love one?

I personally look for the following:

Focus pads and shields
Live training against an opponent that will resist (amount is variable to level)
Sparring
Scenario training
Friendly atmosphere before and after training
Serious training during training
offers private classes
no contracts or short contracts

***bonus***
Clean
Matted
Air conditioned
small class

I personally avoid the following:
Rude behavior that is considered appropriate
King of the mountain attitude
Senior students display poor basic techniques
Air Karate (nothing to hit but air)
Play with me Karate (play act the techniques without any resistance)
Dangerous moves people believe will work (kick the gun/knife away)
Long term contracts

What do you look for in a dojo? What advice would you give a friend or loved one?

Hope the responses will be helpful for others.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "ultimate"???

I agree with what you say, except for private classes. I do not prefer private classes, and so would not miss them if they are not offered.

I would prefer that the building is big, with high enough ceilings that you would never touch them. One should be able to perform a hyung (tul, poomse) side by side with a second (or third) student with no limitations on roominess.

Also, there should be a good makiwara there, to strike. A heavy bag is good, but the kicking sheild is even better.

I prefer carpeted flooring, but any is okay. A slightly dark light is better than bright light. -- Dark walls. Hopefully with some dents in the wall where people have been kicked into the wall from time to time, to be evidence of good practice.

A "barre" (is that the word? -- a rail on the wall to hold onto is useful).

The students' mindset is very important. If I see the class working HARD and focusing, then YES, yes, this is a VERY good sign to me. This, to me, is probably most important.

EDIT -- no bonus points for air conditioning. Heat in the winter is nice, but air conditioning, no, no bonus points for that from me. Also, big classes are preferable to me than smaller classes. I like the "rowdy" feeling of the big class -- BIG LOUD. And if you guys think I am just an "aerobics guy", then that's okay, I have nothing to prove -- big classes mean a bigger variety of sparring partners!

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I look for a dojo that has:
friendly, honest sensi/teacher/instructor (no contracts or high pressure sales tactics).

A school that teaches an established style, and lets it's linegage be known. I think it's good to know who teaches your instructors.

The dojo must be clean and well lit.

They must include regular sparring and weapons training.

I like schools that teach karate for self defense and not purely for sport.

The school should have good training equiptment (ie speed bag, BOB/Heavy bag) available for student use.

The instructors(and every one else too) should be trained in first aid and Adult/Child CPR and AED.

While it's not a requirement, I'd like a school to have air conditioning, or at least a couple of good fans. I live in Florida and it's get's very hot in the summer!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First thing I look at is the Teacher.
Does the Teacher have the knowledge of what he is teaching, Does he have legit rank in the art, is he easy to talk to or ask questions.
Does he go over the material and make sure everyone has the general concept before going on to another concept. Does he show general interest in his students.

Next thing I look at is the Students.
Do they enjoy the class, Do they display a general understanding of technique or concept, Are they kind to each other and respectful.

I then look at the place itself.
Is the place clean and santized, is there any broken mats or training equipment being used, anything that would result in injury due to training hall.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer my place but I have built it up over the years. I agree with everything you have said, clean family setting pads, kicking bags enough equipment to fully train. A teacher that cares whether you come or not, the one's that say they have paid and are not comming who cares I avoid like the plague.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume you mean the physical area of practice.

I like a wide open area, big enough for everyone to have a fair amount of distance from each other if they wish. About 200ft by 200 ft is ideal.

Best if the floor was cushioned or on the second floor so that students are not practicing on joint-destroying cement.

The room should be situated away from heavy traffic so that passersby are not disturbing class.

Couple of mirrors so that lower students can observe their technique.

Sandbag, kwon-go, and some air shields available. Really, students should be responsible for their own gear.

Everyone wears the same uniform. In this case, white v-neck or black v-neck. No black uniforms, black pants, or colored uniforms thank you.

No illustrations or pictures on the walls either.

And the room should be climate controlled so that students are not roasting or freezing.

I really am a minimalist.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In 24 years, I have worked out in a LOT of places

I have worked out in state of the art studios, that had all the tricks, heavy bags, air shields, seperate changing rooms, etc and someone's garage where we had to move the car out before class and we had to change in the instructors bathroom in his house one at a time.

You know what i look for now?

a good instructor. Nothing else matters.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As the years go bye? ....It would be nice to have a training hall that is "air condition" ....flat screen 60 inch TV...refrig with cold drinks...a lounge chair....cushion floors...at least two bathrooms...showers...and hot water...

A training hall that has pick-you up service...close to home...views of the beach...swimming pool..janitor...lockers ROOMS..parking if you choose to drive..right next to the front doors...NO stairs to climb or elevators...

Modern and very new building...alarms, camera, video productions, lots of mirrors..weight room, suna's....a FOOD BAR!

AND no charges! ..maybe even laundry service too!

OK....wake up and get REAL!

Aloha..still dreaming!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most important thing to me is the instructor--is s/he good, experienced, relate well to students, AND is the instructor still a student him or herself.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The instructor is the primary factor here. Does the instructor teach well? Can he do it without belittling the students (other than a rare joking jab)? Can he make it so that the bulk of the class can understand what he is trying to convey?

The system itself is the second most important factor. I'm not about to go to a school that stresses full contact, no pads, all of the time, every day. Yes, that's an exaggeration, but there are simply some things that aren't my cup of coffee, and I don't want to train at a place where I know I'll be miserable.

As for contracts, I don't mind them at all, even if they're long term contracts, as long as they provide you with a reasonable "out clause."

Injuries, moving away, sickness, economic hardship, etc., can happen to anyone.