What do you look for in an instuctor?

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings All,

If you could start your training over again what would you look for in an instructor?

If your loved one wanted to train in the martial art what advice would you give them about instructors?

I personally look for the following:
Patience (I'm the guy with the what ifs...and the bruises)
Sense of Humor
Demonstrates a clear understanding of the art being taught
Easy to understand
Knows how much to push
Approachable
Gives clear constructive criticism and refinements for improvement
Has a good reputation among the community
Loves to teach and share

I personally avoid the following:
Strong alcohol on breath
Looks stoned
Has difficulty communicating ideas or concepts
Salesman
Demonstrates poor technique
Criticism without giving any adjustments for improvements
Has no clue what the technique is for
Has a huge ego
Has a horrible reputation among the community
Flirts with students (inappropriate touching)

What is your list? Thought this may help others when they go dojo shopping to look for the real thing in an instructor.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I had to go away to another city and find some Dojang to go to, I would agree with what you posted, but I would also add this:

1) The Instructor should have a good kihap yell. This is not negotiable to me. Consider the martial arts movie "The Karate Kid". I of course like the Okinawan Teacher who teaches in private, but I would prefer to be in the other school, with the Teacher who is loud and instills some kind of aggression into the students. This is no joke. This is the martial arts. When the Teacher yells, the student can feel that power, and make that power their own!

2) The Master Instructor should be in control at all times, no back talk!

3) If I was in the position to go to an American Kenpo School (not private lessons), I would prefer that the Teacher speak about theory from time to time, not just demonstrate the motions.

4) For the Aikido -- I consider the Students. If the motions have a "flowing feeling", then that is what I prefer. If they are OVERLY forced, that is not my preference.

5) If I were to engage in some training for the knife, I would prefer the Teacher to have the mindset that "I am now going to kill my opponent with the knife", NOT "I am now going to duel with my opponent using the knife."

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if i want to find another taiji instructor, i'd like to push hands with him or his student.
because i have push-hands training experience, it's more easier for me to judg instructor's work, i don't mean i can defeat the instructor.
for other chinese martial art, i just know never attend any public class!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone who is passionate about their art and would never use it as a way to make money.

Someone who's reputation among others in his style is impeccable.

Someone who teaches one art. I'm not interested in learning four different styles from you, most of them sub par. I would rather learn under someone who excells in one style.

Someone who has legitimate ranking in his style or a recognized governing body from that organization.
What I don't want: someone who creates his own organization then issues himself high rank from that body. Or someone who pals around with people from other styles and gets them to issue him certificates, then claims 8th Dan in seven different arts.

Someone who has taught and promoted his art around the world.

Someone who just exudes intensity and concentration.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skill at teaching

nothing else matters.

I dont care WHAT certificate mill they belong too, as I dont trust or value any of them. paper is just paper.

I dont care if he can do a jump spinning hook kick, age, injuries, etc can limit what someone can do, as long as they can teach me how to do it.

I dont care if they are a 2nd dan or a 10th dan, I care about how well they can teach.

nothing else matters

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Experience, excellent technique, patience, humility.

But to me the most important thing is that the instructor must also be a student. I don't care how good you are, if you're not training, not trying to improve, then I'm unimpressed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has the fire withen and can teach other to do, then I will differently be student of there.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are passionate about your art, everything else will fall into place. If you are not passionate about, or just use it to make money, nothing you do will cover that up.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some things I look for:

The personality of the instructor. How do they conduct themselves during class, after class, etc?

How well do they know the material?

Can they perform said material?

Can they teach the material?

Can they teach a class effectively?

Are they willing to work with your schedule?

I say the last part because my work schedule is crazy. Between working the 2nd shift and having rotating days off, it really cuts into my training time. I'm very thankful that my teachers are willing to work with me, by making the time out of their schedule for me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skill at teaching

nothing else matters.

I dont care WHAT certificate mill they belong too, as I dont trust or value any of them. paper is just paper.

I dont care if he can do a jump spinning hook kick, age, injuries, etc can limit what someone can do, as long as they can teach me how to do it.

I dont care if they are a 2nd dan or a 10th dan, I care about how well they can teach.

nothing else matters

I second this. Likewise, I'm more interested in what they have to offer, not the number of stripes on their belt or the number of certificates plastered on their wall.

Some of my best training sessions have been the unofficial ones in the back yard. No politics, no crap, no belts, uniforms...just some good old fashion hard training. :)

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer instructors that are able to disseminate his or her own experience with the martial art style, and coach that kind of technique not only through muscle memory, but as a way of thinking.

Kind of like how untrained folk learn how to "put their dukes up" from TV, only to leave a wide opening for an opponent. I was one of those people myself. A good instructor is able to coax undesirable body mechanics out of a pupil and replace it with the mindset of confidence in physical ability and adaptable form.

lol... A little vague and wordy. My first post (outside of the meet 'n greet).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Very good points above...just wanted to add...someone is humble,kinds,honest,lots of wisedom...some humor...easy to talk to!

Practices what they preach....Aloha

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
when i look for an instructor i look for

age- i don't want a 8 year old black belt as an instructor i want someone with some exsperience.

temper- i want an instructor that is not a loose cannon

respect- they must show a level of respect towards me the dojo and the students.

efficiency- can they effectivly teach a student what he or she needs to learn.

there are some others that i may have forgot but those are the main ones.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was to start all over again? Assuming I'd be in the same boat, without any knowledge of MA or how to judge skill, I'd look for the same thing.

Honor. A decent, honest person just willing to share what they know with no strings attached.

Surprising how difficult it is to find a teacher like this.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, I'd want him/her to be honest with me. I'd want them to tell me that they won't make me the next Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee, what they will do is give me the tools I need and from there I can do what they what I will.

I want them to tell me they will push me, they will teach me, they will instruct me, they will do what they can to ensure that I know what they know and once that is done, that they will send me on to the next level (whatever that may be for they have taught me all they can) instead of wasting my time).

Honesty above all else.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Aside from being passionate abouth their art, I also look for an instructor who is close to or has a good relationship with their instructor, regardless of rank.
I don't want someone who left their instructor or got cut by him and started his own organization. Nothing good ever comes out of that.

Latest Discussions