What book are you currently reading?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
Living The Martial Way, by Forrest E. Morgan:asian:

I loved this book. My Ex Wife bought it for me one chirstmas I think I had it finished by the day after. LOL!

I am currently reading "The Tao of Meow" By Waldo Jappussy

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished The White Knife by Steve Perry, The California Voodoo Game (Barnes, Niven), and Between the Rivers by Turtledove. I started the Children of Dune, but then left it in the seat pocket on the plane. :(

I am reading Admiral Hornblower in the Carribean by CS Forester.

For martial arts, I am rereading Infinite Insights 5 (Ed Parker), rereading The Gift of Fear (Gavin de Becker) and a book I just got; The Art of Throwing by Marc Tedeschi.

Lamont

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was a great book, I've read it a few times. You should try reading the book I mentioned earlier "Living The Martial Way" If you liked "zen" I think you will enjoy this as well.:asian:

Kroy
I'm getting that one next. Right now I'm reading a book my teacher reccommended called "The way and the power(secrets of Japanese strategy). I really like it so far. He says it's a very good book.The author is Fredrick J. Lovret if anyone wants to pick it up.

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by rachel
I'm getting that one next. Right now I'm reading a book my teacher reccommended called "The way and the power(secrets of Japanese strategy). I really like it so far. He says it's a very good book.The author is Fredrick J. Lovret if anyone wants to pick it up.

Think I might have to check that one out. Thanks:D Let me know what you think of "Living The Martial Way" when you get to read it.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Think I might have to check that one out. Thanks:D Let me know what you think of "Living The Martial Way" when you get to read it.
will do and thanks.

OP
E

Elfan

Roots of Strategy: The 5 Greatest Military Classics of All Time by Wilhelm Defense Leeb (Editor), Thomas R.,Brig.Gen. Phillips (Editor)

Includes:

- The Art of War - Sun Tzu

- Military Institutions of the Romans - Vegetius

- My Reveries upon the Art of War - Marshal Murice de Saxe

- The Instructions of Frederick the Great to His Generals

- Military Maxims of Napoleon

Working thru the art of war now. Sun Tzu's insistance on finding unasalable positions reminds me a lot of the cycle of considerations from Kenpo. Which is very cool.

OP
L

lost_tortoise

How have I missed this thread?!?

Don't have much time to read anymore, but I am currently reading:

PACS (Picture Archiving and Communications Systems): A Guide to the Digital Revolution edited by Keith Dreyer ....give me a break, it's what I do for a living!:D

A History of God by Karen Armstrong (incredible thealogian!)

A translation of the Tao Te Ching (everyday for 18 years)

The Holy Bible (NIV version) ----bible study at my wife's church

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by Elfan
Roots of Strategy: The 5 Greatest Military Classics of All Time by Wilhelm Defense Leeb (Editor), Thomas R.,Brig.Gen. Phillips (Editor)

Includes:

- The Art of War - Sun Tzu

- Military Institutions of the Romans - Vegetius

- My Reveries upon the Art of War - Marshal Murice de Saxe

- The Instructions of Frederick the Great to His Generals

- Military Maxims of Napoleon

Working thru the art of war now. Sun Tzu's insistance on finding unasalable positions reminds me a lot of the cycle of considerations from Kenpo. Which is very cool.

Which reminds me, I keep meaning to pick up Von Clausewicz's "On War", but never get to it. Anyone read this?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]Which reminds me, I keep meaning to pick up Von Clausewicz's "On War", but never get to it.[/QUOTE]

Tough read, dense, and I probably need to read it at least once more to understand most of his points. But the value in it lies that it is written as a much more understandable approach to war than its eastern counterparts. Certainly, I would feel more comfortable rereading this again than trying to decipher what Sun Tzu was actually referring to.

A tough but valuable read.

Lamont

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Currently reading Gavin De Becker's The Gift of Fear.

Waiting in the wings, I have Bernard Cornwell's Vagabond, and Makers of Modern Strategy: from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age edited by Peter Paret.

Gotta love the public library system.

Cthulhu

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just devoured Pavel Tsatsouline's POWER TO THE PEOPLE: Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American, and Charles I. Staley's THE SCIENCE OF MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING.

Good stuff folks. I highly recommend both books.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand - Peikoff
The Sin Killer - McMurtry
The Secrets of Okinawan Karate - Arakaki
Liber Aleph vel CXI - Crowley
Quantum Kenpo - Bachman
Light on Pranayama - Iyengar
Man's Search for Meaning - Frankl
Awaken Healing Light of the Tao - Chia

Depending on what mood I'm in. :D

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand - Peikoff

I'm watching The Fountainhead now.

I'm reading H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds, and just finished Jules Verne, The Underground City.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

I've not seen the movie, but the book is excellent.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by arnisador

I haven't seen the movie- is that an old film with Gary Cooper or someone like that? I remember thinking he would be way too polished to play Roark, and thought I'd hate the movie, so I didn't see it.

Brilliant book though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read Anthem and Atlas Shrugged but nothing else of hers. The movie was, as one might expect, a bit heavy-handed and preachy.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I am still trying to get through "on Killing" by lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It has good info, but very boring. At work I am reading "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. That will be about it until I can find a good Sci-Fi (Preferably Star Wars) book this summer.

Latest Discussions