What book are you currently reading?

OP
E

Elfan

Terrorism and War - Howard Zinn

I have always enjoyed the works of Howard Zinn and this book is no exception. It is in an interview format (the text of the book is based on several edited interviews since September 11th) which is both good and bad. Its nice to get Zinn in a somewhat different format then his other writings but the interviewer doesn't ask very hard questions, which isn't so good. For those of you who have read a lot of Zinn this book should be a welcome edition, its short and will only take a few hours to brease through. However, if you have never read anything by him before I suggest you start elsewhere, such as his excelent People's History of the United States

OP
E

Elfan

Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers by Daniel Ellsberg.

Hmm it seems a lot of the amazon reviewers are actaully good for once so I wont go into too much detail. Basically, if you are interested in what could make the ultimate insider, Marine, RAND analysit, DoD employee, State Department employee, publically opose a war and do everything he could to stop it then you will enjoy this book. If you don't find history or politics even remotely interesting this is probably a book to shy away from.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just finished Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon.

Currently rereading the first three Dune books.

Cthulhu

OP
J

Jill666

Wake Up Screaming- HP Lovecraft stories :D

and on tap-

Choke by Chuck Palaniuk. I can hardly wait to read it, I'm drooling!
He's the author of Fight Club BTW.

Red rum! Red rum!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
Wake Up Screaming- HP Lovecraft stories :D

Red rum! Red rum!

Exccccellent! Another willing pawn for my evil schemes!

MWAH HA HA Ha haaaaaaaa!!!

:D

Have you read any Lovecraft before?

Cthulhu

OP
J

Jill666

Nope. But his name came up in a couple of conversations recently, then my training partner was reading some of his stuff, then I picked up a book that looked good and the blurb read "Lovecraft- inspired".

You know how you hear a new word then suddenly everyone is using it?

So I decided to go to the source. I can see where so much of modern horror came from. Also having loved the "Re-animator" as a teen... had no idea he wrote the story.

Bwahahahah..

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem I find with reading a lot of Lovecraft's stuff, is that a lot of the collections of stories contain the same stories. Pain in the neck when you're trying to find a different work from him to read.

It also took me a while to get used to his style of writing, but not too long.

Cthulhu

OP
Q

Quick Sand

I just bought Karate-Do: My Way of Life by Funikoshi.

I started it on Saturday. It's interesting so far. I've heard the name many times and I've heard it's really good. Can't wait to actually have real time to read again.

Only 3 more days of class, only 3 more days of class, only 3 more days of class . . . . . .

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Just finished Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon.

Currently rereading the first three Dune books.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu,

I read Enders Game, I like it, I thought the author though ended the book fast, after a lot of build up.

How is this book?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon are very good. This time, the central character is Bean, and the first book takes place in the same time frame as Ender's Game, only from Bean's perspective. I think you'll like 'em.

Cthulhu

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon are very good. This time, the central character is Bean, and the first book takes place in the same time frame as Ender's Game, only from Bean's perspective. I think you'll like 'em.

Cthulhu

Very Good I will lok them up :)

BTW I am reading House Corrino from the Dune Saga.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
And There Was Light: Autobiography of Jacques Lusseyran, Blind Hero of the French Resistance
This is the story of a boy that wsa blinded at the age of 8 and became the leader of the French underground movement.

Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe by Gavin DeBecker.
A great book about protecting your family from harm. We all believe that our martial arts training will protect us, but what about the ones you love? This is a good book on that topic.

Traditional Bowyer's Bible Vol One I like archery and archery related books and stuff.
I have an Archery website at http://www.WoodlandArchery.com

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's what I'm working on:

 A Pirate looks at 50 - Jimmy Buffett
 Fire in the Valley - Paul Freiberger, Michael Swaine
 Days of Obligation - Richard Rodriquez
 Taekwondo Kyorugi: Olympic Style Sparring - Sang H. Kim, et al.

:asian:

OP
K

Kroy

Living The Martial Way, by Forrest E. Morgan:asian:

Tigerkrim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Noticed some Ender's posts a way back, too tired to backtrack...way past the ole bedtime. I like the first installment. I reckon I'm a bit more physical... But to shoot that out of the water. What about the Illuminatus Triology? Good stuff, conspiracy, a bit raunchy in spaces, references to the Cthuluh (SP?) mythos I noticed earlier.
Anyway, sleepy... soothing glow from the CRT.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got done with The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell. About to start Peter David's Knight Life.

Cthulhu

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by rachel
I just finished reading "zen in the martial arts" by Joe Hyams. Great book!

That was a great book, I've read it a few times. You should try reading the book I mentioned earlier "Living The Martial Way" If you liked "zen" I think you will enjoy this as well.:asian:

Kroy