What book are you currently reading?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
This is a question I have asked before elsewhere. Always neat to hear the answers.

Currently I am reading "Whoever Fights Monsters" by Ressler.
:D

"The Ten Things You Can't Say In America" - Larry Elder

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by D_Brady
Elfan, Please give us a reveiw of the book when your finished.

I'll be sure to, I have enjoyed it greatly so far.

So what are the 10 things you can't say in America?

OP
T

Tony Starks

i listen to his radio program everyday and i have read his book at least 3 times. He is very well educated and knows what he is talking about, although i do not agree with some of his libretarian P.O.V. they are well argued.

I highly recommend his book and btw i think he has another book out if not i think its coming out

-T.S.

OP
J

Jill666

Currently going thru

"The Shambhala Guide to Kendo" as an introdution hopefully
"Expert ECG Interpretation" for my patients, and
"Pagan Babies" by Elmore Leonard for pleasure- very enjoyable

OP
J

Jill666

My husband is a Learning Channel and Discovery Channel addict. He also reads biographies. Recently he finished Cicero's "On The Good Life" and Franklin's Autobio. He really got into both, telling me anecdotes etc.

OP
J

Jill666

Was it Nietche (spelling error) who said whoever fights monsters must take care not to become one, or words to that effect? Does this title reflect that & what is it about? Curious.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm currently reading his "Twilight of the Idols" and "The Anti-Christ" (single ed., trans. by R.J. Hollingdale).

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Jill666
Was it Nietche (spelling error) who said whoever fights monsters must take care not to become one, or words to that effect? Does this title reflect that & what is it about? Curious.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Count of Monte Cristo, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Around the World in 80 Days, Jules Verne

(Because it's free in e-Reader form! I have it on my PocketPC.)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, it has been a couple of months, so I can answer again:

I am currently reading To Sail Beyond the Sunset - Robert A Heinlein
I am perusing a translation of Hans Talhoffer’s Medieval Combat and a web-copy of George Silver’s Paradoxes of Defense.

Finished an immediately forgettable Lieutenant Colonel by Rick Shelley
Bought A Game of Thrones (George RR Martin) in hardback, so it was an excuse to read it again. J
Finished two of the old Wild Card shared universe books, pretty much just candy sci-fi.
Finished There Are No Secrets by Lowenthal, the biography of Cheng Man Ch’ing.
Finished Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan, I regretted paying the 14 bucks for the book, and that was at a huge discount. NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.

If it sounds like I read a lot, well, I do. J Hey, you try living in Wyoming in the winter with no TV (the high tomorrow is supposed to be 0 degree F). It is all kenpo and reading…. What a life!

Lamont

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Mirror Mirror on the wall, am I the most value of them all" by Posoteri (I know, gay title)

"Pathways to success" by ???

"product manuals" (not really a book, per say, but you should see how thick these things are)

"Life and Health Insurance" (Dearborn manual, I have to get my health and ins. license for my job)

"The Bible" by "God":)p )

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church" by "The Pope"......:)rofl: )

"Handbook of Christian Apoligetics" (Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli)

"How the Bond Market Works" by Robert Zipf

"When Genius fails" by ??????

"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

Sorry, I am at my office, so I don't have all of the authors names handy (and I was only kidding about the author of the Bible and the Catechism). I mostly read stuff involving the markets or philosephy/religion. Some of the stuff I listed I've read already (like the Bible, cover to cover). It depends on whats going on, too. Like right now I've been re-reading parts of the Catechism because my girlfriend is getting baptised and confirmed in the spring. I read on a below average day, about 5,000 words. Keep in mind that I read very fast, so I don't spend as much time as you think.

:cool:

Arnisador: Got any good book suggestions on "Chaos Theory?" I'd like to touch up on the subject. Thx...:D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Arnisador: Got any good book suggestions on "Chaos Theory?" I'd like to touch up on the subject.

At the popular level, James Gleick's Chaos: The Making of a New Science, while slightly dated, is still the book--in fact I am teaching Fractals and Chaos next quarter and I am requiring that they read this book!

Were you think of something more technical though?

I am recommending that people look into Complex Adaptive Systems these days, which I think has even more potential than Chaos Theory...

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
"Golden Compass"
"Subtle Knife"
and I am currently reading the third one, "Amber Spyglass"

Great series if you like fantasy, a little sci-fi too.

Made me cry twice, and get really angry a few times too!

OP
E

Elfan

The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan

Interesting book on Chinese Imigrants to America, mainly during the later half of the 20th century. The structure (sort of like a bunch of connecting short stories) can be very confusing at times but it is nice for a change.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just re-read Carl Hiaasen's Basket Case. His books should be required reading for all Floridians, or anyone interested in satirical writing about corruption. Unfortunately, most people are only familiar with the movie Striptease, which was based off one of his not-so-stellar works (in my opinion).

Come on...what's not to love about a book where a villian is a tall, pale, plastic surgery accident with a weedwhacker for a hand?! :D

Cthulhu

OP
M

Master of Blades

Currently between The Last Harry Potter book (AGAIN!) and The Filipino Fighting Arts by Mark Wiley......interesting read.

By the way this qoute is wicked,

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you"

Latest Discussions