What are good Independent Organization/Association?

TKD1996

White Belt
Reaction score
What are good reputable independent organizations of TKD? Anything close to North MS, South TN or West AL? Looking for a group that meets at the very least once a year.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kukkiwon. Recognized and accredited worldwide. You should be able to find affiliated schools in that area.

He specifies 'independent' which to me would preclude both KKW and ITF. If I am incorrect, perhaps the OP can clarify his question further.

What are good reputable independent organizations of TKD? Anything close to North MS, South TN or West AL? Looking for a group that meets at the very least once a year.
As for the original question, I have a family enrolled at my dojang that moved from the Memphis area. They were formerly training with the Choong Sil TKD group there and were happy with the instruction they received. http://www.choongsil.com/index.html

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd say a school or club isn't independent anymore once they join an Organization/Association.

In my opinion Independent Kukkiwon Instructors are the way to go if you wanna go with a school that's not part of any organizaton/association.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't think the questions can be answered without the poster explaining what he means by "Good", "Reputeable" and what is supposed to happen at the annual meetings.

Without that it seems like trying to help a man find a black cat in a dark room.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
American Karate Association. It was started by the GM Ernest Lieb who was Jidokwan the first American to win the lightweight division at the World Taesoodo Championships. The AKA is an independent organization which is opened to all styles. It has been around since 1964. If you want more information please feel free to contact me offline at [email protected]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not independent, but......

http://www.memphiskimsmartialarts.com/index.html

I met Mr. Kim quite some time ago on a business trip to the Memphis area. I do not train in TKD, but Was personally impressed with Mr. Kim's school and hospitality.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll toss in the International Kong Soo Do Association as we now accept independent TKD, HKD and TSD schools, both in the U.S. and Australia. We meet annually, usually in the central part of the country and have discussions underway to make it semi-annual. More information is available in my sig line below or simply PM me.