What American accent do you have?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Hmm...thats only because they didn't ask me where I pahked the Hondar.
[/FONT]

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Midland. I don't think it is very accurate. I know I have a Southern Accent. Bob and Brian could certainly back me up on that, I am sure.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure why it came up with this ... LOL ... I'm West Coast, California and always have been.

My Results:

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Midland ("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

I guess that works. I've heard that us Northwesterners talk with a very generic accent.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I came out Midland as well - which doesn't really surprise me; I've lived all over the country, and it kind of all balances out.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OMG - the quiz totally nailed it, of course, you could just listen to this and figure out where I'm from...

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
North Eastern accent for me apparently. I actually have quite a well spoken English accent, so close enough for me. :) A Midlands accent in the UK, is quite different. You have to hear it to believe it. Instantly makes someone sound as though they have an IQ on a par with Dubya.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Midland [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
full_428371978.jpg
[/FONT]

Interesting - I'm a So. Cal girl who lives in the Pac NW! :lol2:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Midland. Inaccurate. I've been told I don't have a Southern accent, and people have a hard time believing me when I tell them I grew up here!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

:idunno: I guess I don't sound "Canadian"

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Hokey doke, not exactly what I would gues for someone growing up in Seattle, but it looks like alot of PNWers are getting this result.

Lamont

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strange people have always said I was from New England when they head me but this says

Midland ("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
It called me "midland", which is odd. Raised as a rugrat in rural Hawaii, then moved to So. Cal., where (aside from a stint learning travellers versions of a couple Euro languages) I've been ever since. Pops is from Indiana, and still says, "WaRsh" and "Eye-talian", which we make fun of. But Ma is a California girl from birth, with some southern hicks for parents (Oklahoma & Texas).

I'd be curious to see how I sounded to REAL midlanders, and perhaps those further east and north.

I think Californians don't enunciate; bite their words, cuz someone decided it wasn't cool to open your mouth when you speak. It's be interesting to see if midlanders share that perception.

Be good,

Dave