What have you got from MT?

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What have.... ok read the subject it's self explanatory.

I've got more respect and knowledge of people in other arts, and other styles of my art, increased knowledge of my art, a broader outlook of many things to do with MA and some really great friends.

How about you, What have you got from MT?

Has anyone had thier classes increase in size as a direct or indirect result of MT?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great topic..What I got is the feeling that I am not alone..There are others out there that feel the same way about training as I do..How do I feel?? I cannot get enough..

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've found a source of information about other arts, and found a lot of people to talk to who share my obsession... I mean hobby... oh, hell, it's an obsession, who am I trying to fool? :lol:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and found a lot of people to talk to who share my obsession... I mean hobby... oh, hell, it's an obsession, who am I trying to fool? :lol:

That says it best

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed - GREAT topic!!

I got exactly what I came here for and much much more. I came here to get some English speaking perspectives on the things that I was learning here. I was basically in one on one classes for the first 6 months of my training here, so I had no one other than Sa Bom Nim to practice with or bounce ideas off of. His English is not exactly perfect either and the people here have done an outstanding job of helping me to better understand things that the language barrier prevented me from getting.

I've also found a lot of great people who I respect and like. The library of information here is incredible.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me? New friends, new perspectives, new means to express & share myself and to be heard, new things to learn about the Martial Arts. New understanding of things. A place to go when I'm bored and need a laugh or a smile.
MT's my home page man... what else is there to be said?

Love (most of) you guys!... and gals :rolleyes:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh...migosh. MartialTalk has changed my life for the better. Seriously.

I joined up a year and a half ago because I was looking for some info on American Kenpo. I hoped to make an online friend or two that also did Kenpo so I'd have someone to share ideas with. I found exactly that, but that was just the beginning.

I've made some terrific new friends online and in RL, I met my training partner and firearms instructor, learned about arts that I had no clue even existed and found my current school.

Thats why I support the site the way I do...I've gotten so much from here so I want to give back too. This is such a great place. :)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A headache...indigestion and a rather large welt on my forehead from banging my head against my desk....:uhyeah:

;)

Seriously, I love the people and the knowledge. I love the fact that if I have a question about the arts I can find the answer.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found a place here, where disagreements can take place without deteriorating into name calling and flame wars. People who's opinions I respect and who give me a different perspective to view things from, who challenge, enlighten and entertain. A wealth of knowledge about a variety of subjects. A place to share what I know and learn from great people.

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A headache...indigestion and a rather large welt on my forehead from banging my head against my desk....:uhyeah:

;)

Seriously, I love the people and the knowledge. I love the fact that if I have a question about the arts I can find the answer.

:lfao:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
:lfao:

You guys kill me....

I found a place here, where disagreements can take place without deteriorating into name calling and flame wars.

Morphiekins.... :uhyeah::shooter:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have got to get to know alot of great folks and animals like chewy, in all serieness this is the best damm site on the internet and the quality of people we have out does every other site. I have come to love each and everyone of you like family.:asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've learned more about managing people, managing my words and how I express myself, have met thousands of people all over the globe via this medium ...

I gained a new great friend ...

I've learned about ... ah ... all kinds of people, other styles. I've been exposed to a great library of information, have had the opportunity to exchange thoughts on topic of various subjects with many others.

I've been prodded to think, re-think and ponder.

I like it here and want to thank everyone for being part of this experience.

:asian:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some new perspectives and some new friends.
Some reminders of things I knew but had forgotten!
A good place to hang out when I get a spare minute!

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a great topic! It's hard to describe, but I tend to sum it up in my mind as this is the place I really want to go, at least once a day. A place to check in, look around, every now and then get involved with a matter being discussed, and all in the very unreal world of the internet. Drac and a few others who have been in law enforcement can attest that it is often a very closed group, and that tends to rub off on many of us to the point where you don't venture out to meet new friends, in particular those you can't see, etc. This board has been an oasis for my mind, especially since I retired last year and am not "checking in at the shop" every day. In fact there are several regulars here with whom I'm sure I could become fast friends, even challenged by geography. You're a great bunch of people and I'm glad you're here!

-GARRY :cheers::cheers:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see: I have made acquaintances with many new people and shared ideas and thoughts on many subjects (not just the martial arts) with them. I have made a few friends ( yes I make a difference between friends and acquaintances). I have traveled to seminars and clinics I would not have know about with being here. I have expanded my knowledge of the martial arts.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Good laughs, solid information and the random "what you talking about willis?" moment.

Still waiting on fresh pretzels in the bar though.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
15 threats of legal action.
Several hundred venom filled emails.
About 100 crank calls.
At least 6 threats of physical violence.
Roasted on 3 different occasions.
Big hosting bills
Lots of sleepless nights when baby burbs up all her data.
This terrible pain in all the diodes on my left side.
An upset tummy due to the above.

So....why do I do it?

Read the 17 comments above mine. Read the ones to come. Read the comments from the people who have met friends, teachers, students, and significant others scattered around the site.

That warm feeling that I've launched something great here, and it's appreciation from alot of great folks.

The selfless sharing of information

The friendships

The pretzels. ;)

That is what I get from MT. :)

I've talked to people from all over the world, some of them I've met in person. I owe that to MT.

This place drives me nuts at times, but I love it so. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good friends, great information and more!
icon6.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There really is not a lot for to me to add what others have already said ...

very many thanks for posting the thread up tho', Shads :rei:.

I think that the best thing I can say that gives the most concise precis of what benefits I get from Martial Talk (is it only me that sees the redundant irony of using "concise precis" in a long sentence ... and then self-referentially reusing it :lol:?) ... I'll start again ... :eek:.

What I get from MT is an excellent group of people to converse with about martial arts (and other 'life issues') without any of the usualy malarkey that tends to surround 'style wars'.

I've had my views/prejudices challenged in some cases and re-educated in others and all without a single lick of flame :tup:.

Also, what I was going to say above, before I 'humoured' myself into incoherence, is that the best compliment I can pay this site is that some of the people here, like Moose said, I would be glad and honoured to call friends (I won't embarass individuals by naming names but I'm hoping you know who you are).

Latest Discussions