Wearing a Taekwondo gi and belt outside appropriate or inappropriate

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never thought about it before, but if I ever end up as an instructor again, im going to make the rule that you can't smoke wearing the school uniform. The last thing I want is to be working with someone and having to smell the cigarette smokeanating from their clothing.
Now that's something I don't mind an instructor saying because that affects training

D

Deleted member 34973

Well at the end of the day it's still none of his business. Even if he had the best interest at heart he can't tell people what they can and can't do outside a training session. When they start doing that it starts getting controlling and abusive.

Now if we could just get employers to understand it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at the end of the day it's still none of his business. Even if he had the best interest at heart he can't tell people what they can and can't do outside a training session. When they start doing that it starts getting controlling and abusive.
While I don't see much reason for actually making that a hard-and-fast rule, I also don't see it as entirely out of line. Some instructors use part of their rules just for reinforcing the concept of following a rule and paying attention. I don't see it as valuable for full adults, but it seems to help some folks in their adolescence. If I liked a school, and they had the rule I couldn't wear the uniform outside the school, I wouldn't wear it outside the school. Seems a pretty insignificant matter, so it wouldn't bother me. It's about as intrusive as telling me what color the uniform should be (I learned to pick my own clothes years ago) or which shoulder the patch goes on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now if we could just get employers to understand it
Dress codes can be useful in a number of ways. I've never had a problem with them, in principle. (I mind some of them, because they restrict something I'd prefer to wear, but that's more about me.)

D

Deleted member 34973

Dress codes can be useful in a number of ways. I've never had a problem with them, in principle. (I mind some of them, because they restrict something I'd prefer to wear, but that's more about me.)
They do not bother me either. I was speaking in terms of the issue with some employers, wishing to control your personal life.

Really though, I stay clear of those type of employers.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I don't see much reason for actually making that a hard-and-fast rule, I also don't see it as entirely out of line. Some instructors use part of their rules just for reinforcing the concept of following a rule and paying attention. I don't see it as valuable for full adults, but it seems to help some folks in their adolescence. If I liked a school, and they had the rule I couldn't wear the uniform outside the school, I wouldn't wear it outside the school. Seems a pretty insignificant matter, so it wouldn't bother me. It's about as intrusive as telling me what color the uniform should be (I learned to pick my own clothes years ago) or which shoulder the patch goes on.
The issue is when the person is "demoted" as a result of it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's small or not. I'm not letting a martial arts instructor control me outside of training. I'm a grown man I'm not being told what I can wear and what I can't just because some guy has an ego complex and a few pieces of tape on his belt

D

Deleted member 34973

I guess I didn't care to much about it, I don't think I have ever wore my gi, outside of the school.

No real reason, I just never cared to I guess.

My students asked me about it once, I told them I could care less, what they wore in public. Then they asked if I ever have and I told them, I never needed to.

D

Deleted member 39746

Legit, only wear it if you are going to or from somewhere, if you need to go into somewhere to eat or get something then fine. Or official function within the group.

thats more to avoid the inevitable "wanna fight" which probably originates from that a lot.

Edit: this applies to all uniforms of a martial art purpose.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About two months ago, I saw a girl approximately eleven years old, board a plane wearing a black gi, an orange belt and sneakers. I happened to be by the boarding gates and watched for the reactions of other passengers. Nobody cared in the least little bit, neither did I.

But the opposite side of that coin is I wouldn't allow a student of mine to do that. Fortunately, I believe they all know better, even the kids.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Legit, only wear it if you are going to or from somewhere, if you need to go into somewhere to eat or get something then fine. Or official function within the group.

thats more to avoid the inevitable "wanna fight" which probably originates from that a lot.

Yeah that very very very rarely happens most people don't give a damm. It's not innevitable at all

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never thought about it before, but if I ever end up as an instructor again, im going to make the rule that you can't smoke wearing the school uniform. The last thing I want is to be working with someone and having to smell the cigarette smokeanating from their clothing.

When I smoked I never viewed it as a big deal, I mean, it's not like you can really smell it anyway right?

When we (the wife and I) stopped smoking last year, we had to put every item of clothing we owned through the wash a couple of times...

(Not the kid's clothes, we never smoked around them or in the house at all.)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Like I said, I used to wear mine walking to/from the dojo, and also to the supermarket if i needed to get something. Sometimes to the pizza place next door if i was picking up pizza for home, or eating between classes. Take 10 years of doing so, 2-5 times a week depending on the year, thats a lot of trips outside in a gi. Not once did anyone ever want to fight me for it, at most someone would ask me where I train, because they also train and/or are looking to train, but it was always cordial.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Inevitable?

Has that happened to you a lot when you've been wearing your kit going to and from classes?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said, I used to wear mine walking to/from the dojo, and also to the supermarket if i needed to get something. Sometimes to the pizza place next door if i was picking up pizza for home, or eating between classes. Take 10 years of doing so, 2-5 times a week depending on the year, thats a lot of trips outside in a gi. Not once did anyone ever want to fight me for it, at most someone would ask me where I train, because they also train and/or are looking to train, but it was always cordial.
Yeah sorry I keep meaning to but I keep getting stuck in traffic before I can get to you to challenge you to fight..maybe one day I'll get there in time lol :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is when the person is "demoted" as a result of it.
Agreed. I wouldn't sign up for someplace that took that strict a view. Of course, if the demotion is because the person repeatedly ignored the rule they agreed to, that'd be another matter (though brown to yellow still seems a bit much).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's small or not. I'm not letting a martial arts instructor control me outside of training. I'm a grown man I'm not being told what I can wear and what I can't just because some guy has an ego complex and a few pieces of tape on his belt
You're assuming it's an ego thing. In fairness I think it sometimes is. But I also know some folks who simply like the tradition of the uniform being part of the school, so to speak, and that's where it belongs.

Clearly, a school with such a rule would be a poor fit for you, but wouldn't bother me (at least not because of the rule).

D

Deleted member 34973

I think it has become the norm, seeing people in workout clothes. I have seen a few adults, at stores, wearing their gi's.

The brown belt incident, was about 35 yrs ago and a lot has changed in that time. People are more accepting of things and different styles in this day and age.

In my own personal opinion, whatever an instructor decides to do inside his school, is entirely up to them. If someone doesn't like it, they already know where the door is.

Latest Discussions