isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wear whatever I want, where ever I want to. Wouldn't want to wear a gi and belt anywhere outside the dojo, though. Besides, they would be soaking wet. And that sucks. And if they ain't wet - what the hell kind of training are you doing?

My car is the same way. :)

GotYourBack.JPG

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go ahead and take it all the way to the top of the cheezy chart. Forget wearing a gi (in public) I've been looking at traditional Chinese clothing online. I think im just to go around all "kung fuee" full time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wear whatever I want, where ever I want to. Wouldn't want to wear a gi and belt anywhere outside the dojo, though. Besides, they would be soaking wet. And that sucks. And if they ain't wet - what the hell kind of training are you doing?

View attachment 21085

The gay pride rainbow really changes the message you have there.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A karate/judo is not much different to the samue I wear a lot but its white. Easy just to take off the belt and wear as it is.

Attachments

• 81MixHukCOL._UY445_.jpg
    81MixHukCOL._UY445_.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 128

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go ahead and take it all the way to the top of the cheezy chart. Forget wearing a gi (in public) I've been looking at traditional Chinese clothing online. I think im just to go around all "kung fuee" full time.

Bruce LeRoy Green style.

54426477-A13F-4DE1-B35F-0E55D7D9D13D.jpeg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’d rather stick to my karate roots and go all Sho ‘Nuff
1CA07C94-EC6F-4F25-BA2B-0C7EB0E748AE.jpeg

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny enough actually today I was at training and was doing an open mat Jiu Jitsu class in the main hall and then I had to walk across the sports centre where the club is to another place as they were doing the main class in a different place to where we were rolling. So I wasn't going to change just to walk for 2 minutes so I just picked up my bag I had my belt in my hand and my blue Gi was open and had my gracie barra rash guard on so that was seen and walked past loads of people and guess what.....no one looked twice at me not a single person cared

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny enough actually today I was at training and was doing an open mat Jiu Jitsu class in the main hall and then I had to walk across the sports centre where the club is to another place as they were doing the main class in a different place to where we were rolling. So I wasn't going to change just to walk for 2 minutes so I just picked up my bag I had my belt in my hand and my blue Gi was open and had my gracie barra rash guard on so that was seen and walked past loads of people and guess what.....no one looked twice at me not a single person cared

As I often do, I wore my dobak pants and a TKD tank top to the dojang this morning. On the way home, we stopped at the Quicky Mart for gas and a soda.
I have to admit, someone DID approach me while I was at the pump. But it was to ask about my car, not my clothing.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
As I often do, I wore my dobak pants and a TKD tank top to the dojang this morning. On the way home, we stopped at the Quicky Mart for gas and a soda.
I have to admit, someone DID approach me while I was at the pump. But it was to ask about my car, not my clothing.
It's so silly I mean martial arts isn't exactly an uncommon thing these days. Everyone knows what martial arts is and someone wearing a gi is no different to someone wearing running gear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's so silly I mean martial arts isn't exactly an uncommon thing these days. Everyone knows what martial arts is and someone wearing a gi is no different to someone wearing running gear

Well I do judge people in active wear as well.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its common now for kids went back from school wearing gi after martial arts extra curricular activity.
For adult, most of the time i only seen the pants combined with t-shirt, almost none wearing full attire outside training ground or events.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is tacky but it isn't my place to tell people outside of my downline not to do so.

I tend to wear my gi pants and tee shirt to and from class but that is the extent.

Mark

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like steve said I mean i wear my GI at the gas station when we stop to get gas on are way to the dojo no different

I had to do that, today! I left late for class so I just wore my gi on the drive there. On the way home, I figured - no biggy, I can just pay at the pump and jump back in the car BUT while pumping the gas, I realized how bad I had to pee. So.... I got to be the tacky dork walking through the convenience store in my gi. Nobody seemed to notice/care. As far as I know, the earth is still rotating :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
ive never worn my karate gi or tai chi uniform outside the dojo. for starters its definitely going to draw some attention. especially if your wearing a belt. more so depending on what rank belt your wearing. i dont want that attention so i just go to the changing room and immediately change after class. it shouldn't take long to change clothes. if you wanna leave class wearing your uniform that is fine. to me it seems weird but i wont judge. now wearing your gi in the store seems weird. i know im probably wrong on this one but if i saw someone wearing their uniform in the store i wouldn't help but think... this guy/girl is trying to get attention or something.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

View attachment 21085
you haven't done enough training until your clothes are drenched in so much sweat that people think you've been playing in the sprinklers

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ive never worn my karate gi or tai chi uniform outside the dojo. for starters its definitely going to draw some attention. especially if your wearing a belt. more so depending on what rank belt your wearing. i dont want that attention so i just go to the changing room and immediately change after class. it shouldn't take long to change clothes. if you wanna leave class wearing your uniform that is fine. to me it seems weird but i wont judge. now wearing your gi in the store seems weird. i know im probably wrong on this one but if i saw someone wearing their uniform in the store i wouldn't help but think... this guy/girl is trying to get attention or something.
Not every dojo has a changing room. Or not everyone has the time to go change. Or sometimes you have to stop unexpectedly at a store

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not every dojo has a changing room. Or not everyone has the time to go change. Or sometimes you have to stop unexpectedly at a store

Same in Japan. You just take your belt off. Lol some of you guys should try driving in monsuki/hakama. I used to have to do that a lot going to temples/shrines. You get blinded by the sleeves as you turn a corner.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I have to head to the store right after practice to pick up some things for dinner. You don't like it tough mierda I ain't going home to change just to please you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never worn my karate gi or tai chi uniform outside the dojo. for starters its definitely going to draw some attention. especially if your wearing a belt. more so depending on what rank belt your wearing.

What do you base this assertion on, since you've never done it? It certainly contradicts the personal experience of others...

Latest Discussions