Wearing a Taekwondo gi and belt outside appropriate or inappropriate

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Question what you guys think of kids or adult wearing their karate or their taekwondo gi and belt outside of the dojo like store or anywhere is it appropriate or not appropriate? because they might think he or she is a show off ?

Is it appropriate for a 15 year old to wear a 4th degree black belt or is it a mcdojo

I ask this question because my cousin and i we was in cosco at the food court line and i saw this kid or teenanger wearing his Taekwondo gi and his black belt and get this his a 4th degree black at that age maybe his 14 or 15 i think its inappropriate to wear you gi or your belt outside the Dojo they might think his showing off and i think his Taekwondo school is a mcdojo because at age 15 or 14 he shouldn't be a 4th degree black belt

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see little kids in their gis all the time. See them in their baseball uniforms too. Or dressed like a cowboy. More power to them.

I only ever cared what my students did. And only if they were of age. And if they dressed like a cowboy, they show should at least wear spurs.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question what you guys think of kids or adult wearing their karate or their taekwondo gi and belt outside of the dojo like store or anywhere is it appropriate or not appropriate? because they might think he or she is a show off ?

Is it appropriate for a 15 year old to wear a 4th degree black belt or is it a mcdojo

I ask this question because my cousin and i we was in cosco at the food court line and i saw this kid or teenanger wearing his Taekwondo gi and his black belt and get this his a 4th degree black at that age maybe his 14 or 15 i think its inappropriate to wear you gi or your belt outside the Dojo they might think his showing off and i think his Taekwondo school is a mcdojo because at age 15 or 14 he shouldn't be a 4th degree black belt

I think what other people wear isn't my business.

I personally do not wear my gi outside of my dojo, but there's no rule one way or another in our dojo. The kids come to class already wearing their gi all the time. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not TKD, but I used to wear my gi outside my dojo...I could walk to my dojo, so I would change, wear it and walk to the dojo rather than having to change there. When I was in elementary/middle/high school, I took the back roads so I didn't see many people, but sometimes would if my mom wanted me to stop by a supermarket or something. In college, I would normally wear a jacket or something out of self-consciousness (didn't want to be the weirder walking around campus in a gi), but if it was too hot, I'd just say F-it.

That said, I would always wear my belt around my neck, rather than on my waist...but that may have more to do with putting on/taking off the belt at the beginning/end of class than anything intentional.

Honestly, I don't see any issue with it. It's not disrespectful in any way I can think of, and it was for convenience rather than pride. Plus, if it is pride-what's wrong with that? Why can't I be proud that I train?

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not TKD, but I used to wear my gi outside my dojo...I could walk to my dojo, so I would change, wear it and walk to the dojo rather than having to change there. When I was in elementary/middle/high school, I took the back roads so I didn't see many people, but sometimes would if my mom wanted me to stop by a supermarket or something. In college, I would normally wear a jacket or something out of self-consciousness (didn't want to be the weirder walking around campus in a gi), but if it was too hot, I'd just say F-it.

That said, I would always wear my belt around my neck, rather than on my waist...but that may have more to do with putting on/taking off the belt at the beginning/end of class than anything intentional.

Honestly, I don't see any issue with it. It's not disrespectful in any way I can think of, and it was for convenience rather than pride. Plus, if it is pride-what's wrong with that? Why can't I be proud that I train?

OP
KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

True

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've already asked this isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

I'll give you my same answer. It's none of your business what someone wears. Why do you care so much what a teenager wears. Whatever their reason for wearing is that's no concern of yours. Go about your day and mind your own business.

Are they a show off? Maybe or maybe they just haven't got time or a convinent place to change. I sometimes have to turn up in my Gi otherwise I know I'd be late. My instructor does the same thing.

As for the rank again mind your own business. What's it to you what rank some kid is. Just focus on your training and stop being a busybody and thinking about strangers business

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my take: "appropriate" is cultural. In the organization I came up in (and still at my instructor's school), it was not appropriate, even for kids. Why? Because that was part of the rules. One of the instructors I know completely removed that rule. I don't think I've put it in my rules, but I might have (I should probably know my own rules better). At other locations where I taught, I didn't really care if they wore it in/out - in part because folks wandering around the building and parking lot in their dogi was a good way to raise awareness of the program.

I know places where it's pretty common to wear the dogi outside the school. Some have rules about whether the belt is worn, some don't. I always feel weird wearing mine outside the training space (even for demo's, to/from changing rooms in non-dedicated buildings, etc.), but that's just because I'm entirely unaccustomed to it. When I see an adult wearing one in public - especially the belt - it looks funny to me, but doesn't really bother me.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firstly, a 14 year old grand master - who cares? If their organisation issues/sells those ranks it's no concern of mine. Mine doesn't, but again, who cares?

Then.

There's no such thing as a TKD gi or dojo.

You wear a dobok and attend a dojang...

Our club dojang are church halls, community centres, school sports halls or the sports field - or anywhere you practice, it's not necessarily a building.

But anyway, I wear my dobok to/from classes - in common with the majority of the other students and the instructors. Sometimes with the belt, sometimes without. The only 'rules' (that I've never known enforced) are to remove your belt to eat and not to smoke while wearing your dobok.

Fairly regularly, I'll stop at a shop to pick up a few groceries - nobody bats an eye at my (and my kid's) attire. It's not showing off, it's because it's what I'm wearing. Been the same since my belt was white.

Personally, I wouldn't wear it under other circumstances - I have much sillier clothing to wear day to day - and white trousers and jackets mark easily. Who needs the extra washing?

Plus, our club dobok protects you from elephant attack - none of out members have ever been attacked by an elephant while wearing their dobok.

So it must work, right?

I can video it. One or more of us not being attacked by an elephant on multiple occasions - that must be proof.

D

Deleted member 34973

I think it is up to the school. I do remember a brown belt adult, walking from the school to a mini-mart and the my Instructor demoted him to a yellow belt.

He stayed and eventually got his black belt.

The pants were allowed to be worn in public, but not the top or the belt.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is up to the school. I do remember a brown belt adult, walking from the school to a mini-mart and the my Instructor demoted him to a yellow belt.

That comment belongs in the "what's ridiculous in martial arts" thread imo...

D

Deleted member 34973

That comment belongs in the "what's ridiculous in martial arts" thread imo...
There are a lot of comments here on martialtalk, that belong in "what's ridiculous in martial Arts" thread. Although I agree that it was ridiculous, the OP did not post in that thread.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well I'd have told him right where to shove it, I'm not getting what I can and can't wear in my own time by anyone

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly, a 14 year old grand master - who cares? If their organisation issues/sells those ranks it's no concern of mine. Mine doesn't, but again, who cares?

Then.

There's no such thing as a TKD gi or dojo.

You wear a dobok and attend a dojang...

Our club dojang are church halls, community centres, school sports halls or the sports field - or anywhere you practice, it's not necessarily a building.

But anyway, I wear my dobok to/from classes - in common with the majority of the other students and the instructors. Sometimes with the belt, sometimes without. The only 'rules' (that I've never known enforced) are to remove your belt to eat and not to smoke while wearing your dobok.

Fairly regularly, I'll stop at a shop to pick up a few groceries - nobody bats an eye at my (and my kid's) attire. It's not showing off, it's because it's what I'm wearing. Been the same since my belt was white.

Personally, I wouldn't wear it under other circumstances - I have much sillier clothing to wear day to day - and white trousers and jackets mark easily. Who needs the extra washing?

Plus, our club dobok protects you from elephant attack - none of out members have ever been attacked by an elephant while wearing their dobok.

So it must work, right?

I can video it. One or more of us not being attacked by an elephant on multiple occasions - that must be proof.
I never thought about it before, but if I ever end up as an instructor again, im going to make the rule that you can't smoke wearing the school uniform. The last thing I want is to be working with someone and having to smell the cigarette smokeanating from their clothing.

D

Deleted member 34973

Well I'd have told him right where to shove it, I'm not getting what I can and can't wear in my own time by anyone
I think the issue was that it was a gang infested area and he thought it would cause trouble.

I myself left the school, due to the change of focus in training, it was switched to tournament sparring and I had no interest in that.

It's funny, as time went on, he relaxed on a lot of things.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the issue was that it was a gang infested area and he thought it would cause trouble.

I myself left the school, due to the change of focus in training, it was switched to tournament sparring and I had no interest in that.

It's funny, as time went on, he relaxed on a lot of things.
Well at the end of the day it's still none of his business. Even if he had the best interest at heart he can't tell people what they can and can't do outside a training session. When they start doing that it starts getting controlling and abusive.

Latest Discussions