WC Footwork and Mobility

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun pivots on the heels not on the toes. We want to spin the guy away, not move away from him." In my Wing Chun we pivot on the K1 point near the balls of the feet.
I've heard this from some Wing Chun lineages so it's not completely wrong. It's just one of those statements that needs to use the word "Some..." From an outsider looking in. Wing Chun tends to get caught into "THIS IS HOW REAL WING CHUN IS DONE." By not saying "Some Wing Chun schools" he stuck to an absolute. In my school we are taught to do things from the heels but it's not expected for us to do everything from the heel. Sometimes it's from the ball of the foot, sometimes it's from the heel. Fighting is fluid and reactions to fighting must be similar.

My rule for stances/weight distribution is the higher the stance, the more I should be on my toes. The lower the stance the more I should be on my heels or preferable an even weight distribution one the foot if possible. It's just body mechanics and some things in terms of weight distribution on the feet works better within different stance ranges.

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions