Bey Logan on WC

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night I watched the HKL (Hong Kong Legends) version of The Prodigal Son. This version to me is the best since it has interviews with Sammo, Yuen Viao, Frankie Chan and others.

Bey makes a interesting comment about the WC footwork in this movie. He states that the footwork used in the movie shows more of the shaolin background that was first a part of WC but was later transitioned out as a result of it being passed down over time from teacher to student as well as it being moved throught different parts of china.

Do any of you agree with this?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. If you look at a lot of the older videos of wing chun and compare them with shaolin styles, you can see traces of it within the wing chun. Nowadays, you can barely see the shaolin within most wing chun schools

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. If you look at a lot of the older videos of wing chun and compare them with shaolin styles, you can see traces of it within the wing chun. Nowadays, you can barely see the shaolin within most wing chun schools

Why is it then that is was cut out of most WC. Logan said that you don't see it anymore especially in the Yip Man lineage of WC.
Is it b/c it is seen as not being useful or needed anymore?

It also makes me wonder how different WC really looks in different parts of China. For example differences between WC in Foshan and Hong Kong?

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off, I really can't stand Bey Logan - he's such a hanger on and brown noser - to me, he's about as bad as listening to Tarantino at the beginning of my favorite HK movies - like he had anything to do with it.....

Wing Chun is different as it's practiced from one school to the other and one region to another. It's not anything major but you'll see it in the footwork and even the forms. Not enough to really matter though....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The most logical explanation I've heard, which was backed up by my Si-fu's research on trips back to the mainland, is that Wing Chun has comon roots with other southern styles of Kung-fu, but represents a reaction against what was percieved as inefficient in those systems. Hence the elimination of "poetic" names for techniques, cutting out elaborate, showy moves, and the endless, complex forms. The older relics of Wing Chun on the mainland are said to be more complex and "kung-fu" like, while the Wing Chun/Tsun of Yip Man's lineage stresses economy and efficiency to the max. What I've seen seams to support this.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes,wide stances,and committing or over extending the limbs..etc...etc...next time I'm in here I will try and hook you guys up with some cool you tube flicks..old school Wing Tsun Chun vids.You gotta love it!Popcorn,peanuts,beer,and a cheesy Kung fu Video,my favorite!

Latest Discussions