Watching street fight/attack videos ?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not putting down UFC. I'm saying that there are no rules in street fights and sometimes people will get into street fights thinking that there are going to be some set of rules as to what can be done or can't be done. I worked with teens who thought just like that.
I'm referring to the concept that "there are no rules on 'the street'." There definitely are. Just because you don't know what they are doesn't mean that there aren't any. The rules might be (probably are) different from what you're used to, few, less restrictive, and may change based on what street you're standing on, but there usually are "rules."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So yeah, grappling versus striking is a cool debate.
No it's not. It's as ancient as fighting and wearisome in its predictability. Even in the Modern context it's still decades old. Does no one but me remember LeBell vs Savage?

On another note, whatcha all think about the helpfulness of watching youtube videos of (adopt intense, booming, intimidating voice) STREET fights?
It has its uses.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, the reason you brought that up, (one last time: as I recall) was to counter JowGaWolf's assertion that he is qualified to teach, in his planned self-defense course, some basic defensive tactics against someone, statistically speaking someone probably largely untrained in grappling arts, trying to grab you and throw you on the ground,
Actually, then gent specified an MMA or BJJ trained fighter. They are not "largely untrained in grappling arts." And, to be perfectly honest, the only way to stymie a grappler is either with grappling or with weapons that prevent grappling range. I have one friend, a skilled Silat player, who's answer for a BJJ takedown attempt is, "I'll stab you." When confronted with the fact that stabbing a takedown grapple isn't really "anti-grappling" per se, his response was, "I'm too old to take a beating." OK. Fair enough.

So while I agree with you, I'm fast losing track of why any of this is at all relevant.
In one respect, it never was. "Grappling vs. Striking" fighting is a silly and artificial distinction. The real answer is "Grappling AND Striking." Which is what MMA (and sometimes BJJ) does. In another respect, the <ahem> "debate" is relevant because an instructor is saying he is/will offer self defense seminars teaching techniques to effectively prevent attacks by trained MMA/BJJ attackers and is using examples of these defenses that people with experience in grappling seem to believe indicates a lack of understanding and which would likely be ineffective for the specified purpose.

On a side note, I am really, really not a fan of one day, two week, whatever self-defense courses.
Sure. They suck, generally.

Although I've gotta say it again, we have a million threads about the efficacy of striking arts, grappling arts, ground-fighting, whatever, I think it would be really interesting to keep this one thread focused on the efficacy of analyzing recorded real-world violent interactions...
Too late. A thread participant already offered that he teaches self defense seminars and in them teaches techniques (to people who would take a one-day seminar) on how to stymie a MMA/BJJ trained fighter. Thread's done, man. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you are suggesting a street fight will be just one random encounter after another with no rhyme or reason to it?

You couldn't prepare for that.
No I'm not suggesting that we can't be prepared for certain situations I'm just saying that we don't know what will or may happen in a situation and because of this we cannot be 100% prepared for the numerous ways a situation can get worse.
You tell me this? How do you prepare for this when you don't think it will happen, or that the probability of it happening is low?
I won't put the video but there's. Search youtube for Girl runs over 5 of her rivals with her car
One way she could prepared for this is if she actively decided not to be in the street because she thinks someone will hit her with a car. If she doesn't think someone will hit you with a car then guess where she'll be... In the street.

Another way she could have prepared for it, is to simply walk away from the confrontation instead of standing in the street yelling. But hey.. what are the chances that some is going to use their car in a fight? so it's a waste of time to prepare for that possibility. Besides who think like that, to use a car in a fight. Check out the
Street Fight Turns Into Grand Theft Auto Real Quick video on youtube.

Sometimes street fights don't go the way we think they will. If possible it's better to use your energy not to be in one right up to the point where you have no choice but to defend yourself. Never assume that people will follow laws in a confrontation. Never assume that you only have to be concerned about the person you are directly fighting. Never assume that humans won't do something, Never assume that you are 100% prepared for everything that can happen.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually, then gent specified an MMA or BJJ trained fighter. They are not "largely untrained in grappling arts." And, to be perfectly honest, the only way to stymie a grappler is either with grappling or with weapons that prevent grappling range.

Oh. I stand corrected. I had mis-remembered what I read, and thought he was attempting to teach defense against a variety of sloppy, untrained attacks. (Which I am still very opposed to, but that's a different story...) But yeah, if you want to avoid takedowns and grappling, learn grappling. Although your stabby-stabby friend's approach sounds reasonably effective too...

In one respect, it never was. "Grappling vs. Striking" fighting is a silly and artificial distinction. The real answer is "Grappling AND Striking."

100% in agreement with you. Of course, that doesn't seem to stop Grappling versus Striking cropping up in about every other thread I encounter. Strangely enough, it's not a debate I tend to ever see or hear in real life. It seems all the people I actually meet tend to have a grappling or striking or kicking or weapons focus, but to realize that you need some facility at all possible ranges and approaches, and that striking and grappling both work best in support of the other.

Strike to get your grapple-game going, grapple to get your really devastating strikes off, that sort of thing...

Too late. A thread participant already offered that he teaches self defense seminars and in them teaches techniques (to people who would take a one-day seminar) on how to stymie a MMA/BJJ trained fighter. Thread's done, man.

Yeaaaah, I guess you're right. So many interesting threads seem to end in tatters like this, rather than reaching any sort of maturity and depth, sadly...

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends what frame of reference you are using.

Conformation bias.
Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm relatively aware of the basic mechanism of confirmation bias, but I don't really follow how that relates to my post.

I just meant, "Hey guys, let's talk about the original subject at hand: watching fight videos to learn stuff!"

EDIT: Ooooh, wait, you mean that watching said videos is only helpful if you can avoid your won biases towards confirmation. Nooooow, I gotcha...

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the "No Rules in a Street Fight" concept:

Most "street" fights are, at least in my experience, basically just anger-fueled sparring matches. People don't smash bottles on each other, gouge eyes, fish-hook, bite, groin grab, stomp insteps, or anything like that. They punch each other in the general head region a few times, until one or the other falls over, and then the basically do the same thing on the ground. (Also, any of you guys ever actually tried to get a handful of genitals through jeans? It's not exactly easy. Neither is fish-hooking, eye-poking, etc in many cases...)

If you get in a little fist-fight scrappy-poo and you pull a knife, stab the other guy, and then run him over with a car as he's passed out on the ground, you've broken some rules, and you're going to be in trouble for doing so.

It does however, make sense to be aware that the rules and limitations you might expect from an encounter may not be the rules the other guy expects.

For example, I've seen and been in "play" fights at parties in which one or more members of the "friendly-sparring" forget just how friendly its supposed to be and get, well, we'll be charitable and say "overly-enthusiastic."

So in that respect, I agree that there are no codified and unbreakable rules which are equally known and abided by by all present. Of course, watch any sport match and you'll find that the rules aren't always adhered to there, either...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you specified "MMA and BJJ." While a BJJ trained person may or may not be trained to kick the legs (or kick at all), a person training in MMA most assuredly has been from the first class.
being trained in a fighting system doesn't mean that the person is good at it. Being trained in a fighting system doesn't mean you are an expert.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
being trained in a fighting system doesn't mean that the person is good at it. Being trained in a fighting system doesn't mean you are an expert.
Sure. But anybody can succeed against poorly trained idiots. No special classes required.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are always rules.

The difference between the rules in a sporting competition and the rules in "real-world" violence is that in a sporting event typically you know exactly what the rules are, you know the penalties for breaking them, and the same rules apply to both sides.

In the real world, the applicable rules and penalties may not be spelled out, enforcement of said penalties may be very erratic, the participants may or may not know what they are, and the rules may be different for the different participants.

Local laws always apply, but consequences for violations will vary considerably depending on whether violators get caught, the perceptions of witnesses, the social status of the violators, and the discretion of local law enforcement and prosecutors. Participants may be more or less willing to risk those consequences based on their own circumstances.

Besides the officially laws on the books, there are plenty of unwritten rules that you may or may not be aware of.

Maybe you are surrounded by a crowd that will cheer on a fight, but will jump in to pummel a fighter who uses techniques considered "dirty" by local custom.

Maybe if you have the wrong color skin or are not a local you need to make absolutely sure all witnesses see you trying to avoid the fight or else you will be charged with assault even when you are just defending yourself.

Maybe you need to finish the fight and leave the scene in less than 90 seconds or your opponent's crazy brother will show up with a pistol and start shooting.

Maybe if you do leave the scene before police show up, witnesses will identify you and you will be hauled in for questioning.

Maybe you are confronting a gang member who lives by a rule that he must save face in front of his comrades - even if he doesn't particularly want to fight.

The possibilities are endless.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are always rules.

The difference between the rules in a sporting competition and the rules in "real-world" violence is that in a sporting event typically you know exactly what the rules are, you know the penalties for breaking them, and the same rules apply to both sides.

In the real world, the applicable rules and penalties may not be spelled out, enforcement of said penalties may be very erratic, the participants may or may not know what they are, and the rules may be different for the different participants.

Local laws always apply, but consequences for violations will vary considerably depending on whether violators get caught, the perceptions of witnesses, the social status of the violators, and the discretion of local law enforcement and prosecutors. Participants may be more or less willing to risk those consequences based on their own circumstances.

Besides the officially laws on the books, there are plenty of unwritten rules that you may or may not be aware of.

Maybe you are surrounded by a crowd that will cheer on a fight, but will jump in to pummel a fighter who uses techniques considered "dirty" by local custom.

Maybe if you have the wrong color skin or are not a local you need to make absolutely sure all witnesses see you trying to avoid the fight or else you will be charged with assault even when you are just defending yourself.

Maybe you need to finish the fight and leave the scene in less than 90 seconds or your opponent's crazy brother will show up with a pistol and start shooting.

Maybe if you do leave the scene before police show up, witnesses will identify you and you will be hauled in for questioning.

Maybe you are confronting a gang member who lives by a rule that he must save face in front of his comrades - even if he doesn't particularly want to fight.

Don't punch a girl in the throat for example.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Local laws always apply,
Laws do not always prevent an attack we have tons of criminals in jail that prove that. Some understand the consequence and will still do the action.

To me these are possibilities and not rules of a street fight or fighting off an attacker.

This is how I see the definition of rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really, it's not. If I feel that you pose an imminent threat, I can certainly kick you out into traffic and justify it. Let's see you put a RNC on a Buick...

You are paying for the repair to my buick though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, then gent specified an MMA or BJJ trained fighter. They are not "largely untrained in grappling arts." And, to be perfectly honest, the only way to stymie a grappler is either with grappling or with weapons that prevent grappling range. I have one friend, a skilled Silat player, who's answer for a BJJ takedown attempt is, "I'll stab you." When confronted with the fact that stabbing a takedown grapple isn't really "anti-grappling" per se, his response was, "I'm too old to take a beating." OK. Fair enough.

Here people have to realise that the are turning every fight it. Life or death encounter. Which is increadably high risk.

Not following the rules of society also prevents you from their benifits.

You cant call the cops after you have knifed a guy for tackling you. They can. Or come after you with numbers and weapons.
Seen both happen.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Laws do not always prevent an attack we have tons of criminals in jail that prove that. Some understand the consequence and will still do the action.

Having rules in a sporting event doesn't mean that people won't break them. It just means that if they get caught they pay the consequences.

To me these are possibilities and not rules of a street fight or fighting off an attacker.

This is how I see the definition of rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere

Sounds reasonable. That covers both laws (explicit) and cultural norms (understood) that affect conduct and provide potential consequences for said conduct. That would cover most of my examples and a whole lot more. As I said, the main difference between sport and "street" is that in sport the rules are more likely to be known to all parties, symmetric, and consistently enforced.

For anyone who insists that "there are no rules in a real fight," I offer this scenario:

You're an umpire for a Little League game. One day you make a call that a player's parent disagrees with and the guy comes up to you, screaming, insulting you, maybe even shoving you. He's clearly looking for a fight, so you grab his neck, pull him into a few hard knee strikes, throw him as hard as you can, then mount him and start raining down punches until you are pulled off.

When you are hauled into court for criminal charges (and the inevitable civil case - did I mention that this guy was a successful businessman before you inflicted permanent disability on him) you proudly tell the judge "It was a fight. There are no rules in a real fight."

Exactly how well do you think that will go over? Think you'll avoid going to jail and having your saving account emptied?

Bear in mind that everything you did would have been perfectly acceptable in the UFC. Surely it can't be the case that "real life" could have rules more restrictive than sport competition? :cool:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the US it depends on the laws of the state and how they define self defense.
Self-Defense Overview - FindLaw
Stand your ground laws of some states pretty much make it legal for me to do whatever I need to do to protect myself at that moment.
The shove alone is grounds for being charged with assault. If it had stopped there then I couldn't throw my knees. However, charging at the ref, after pushing him changes things and the ref would be in the right under "self defense" laws of Georgia, especially with the student being 6ft 5. and black. People in U.S. have been shot for less with the person who attacked shot them claiming self defense and winning.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having rules in a sporting event doesn't mean that people won't break them. It just means that if they get caught they pay the consequences.

Sounds reasonable. That covers both laws (explicit) and cultural norms (understood) that affect conduct and provide potential consequences for said conduct. That would cover most of my examples and a whole lot more. As I said, the main difference between sport and "street" is that in sport the rules are more likely to be known to all parties, symmetric, and consistently enforced.

For anyone who insists that "there are no rules in a real fight," I offer this scenario:

You're an umpire for a Little League game. One day you make a call that a player's parent disagrees with and the guy comes up to you, screaming, insulting you, maybe even shoving you. He's clearly looking for a fight, so you grab his neck, pull him into a few hard knee strikes, throw him as hard as you can, then mount him and start raining down punches until you are pulled off.

When you are hauled into court for criminal charges (and the inevitable civil case - did I mention that this guy was a successful businessman before you inflicted permanent disability on him) you proudly tell the judge "It was a fight. There are no rules in a real fight."

Exactly how well do you think that will go over? Think you'll avoid going to jail and having your saving account emptied?

Bear in mind that everything you did would have been perfectly acceptable in the UFC. Surely it can't be the case that "real life" could have rules more restrictive than sport competition? :cool:

I understand and appreciate what you're pointing out, really, bro. But.

My attorney is one of my old school Black Belts. He is a Criminal Defense Attorney and also a civil litigator. (hey, you can't save them all) He is also a fine Martial Artist who grew up hard. He wouldn't let you state to the judge "It was a fight. There are no rules in a real fight." He wouldn't do that anymore than you would close your eyes and walk backwards into a fight while whistling Dixie and shooting a beer.

And, as far as this goes "He's clearly looking for a fight, so you grab his neck, pull him into a few hard knee strikes, throw him as hard as you can, then mount him and start raining down punches until you are pulled off."
You wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. Nobody you teach or train with would do that and nobody I teach or train with would either. So, who would? Nobody we know, that's for God damn sure. So, who are we talking about? Nobody that we are even remotely associated with. (nice try, though, bro) :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate what you're pointing out, really, bro. But.

My attorney is one of my old school Black Belts. He is a Criminal Defense Attorney and also a civil litigator. (hey, you can't save them all) He is also a fine Martial Artist who grew up hard. He wouldn't let you state to the judge "It was a fight. There are no rules in a real fight." He wouldn't do that anymore than you would close your eyes and walk backwards into a fight while whistling Dixie and shooting a beer.

And, as far as this goes "He's clearly looking for a fight, so you grab his neck, pull him into a few hard knee strikes, throw him as hard as you can, then mount him and start raining down punches until you are pulled off."
You wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. Nobody you teach or train with would do that and nobody I teach or train with would either. So, who would? Nobody we know, that's for God damn sure. So, who are we talking about? Nobody that we are even remotely associated with. (nice try, though, bro) :)
Hey, I was being restrained. Some of the guys who are most insistent about "no rules in a street fight" and "better tried by 12 than carried by 6" are the same ones who like to demonstrate 16-move combinations that start with a chop to the trachea and end with a stomp to the head of a downed opponent. There may be an eye gouge or a neck break somewhere in the middle. ;)

Heck, JowGaWolf just stated that my theoretical hyper violent umpire would be legally in the clear in many jurisdictions.

Now, you and I wouldn't behave like that. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't tell the judge "it's okay, no rules in a real fight." Probably it's because we're just a couple of namby pamby softies who aren't prepared for harsh reality.:D

Latest Discussions