Using Nails in a Fight, Effective of Ineffective?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Also, without being paranoid, keep in mind that contact with someone else's blood may also get you in contact with some pretty nasty diseases.

Our instructor recommends not punching to the mouth because of the risk of cutting your own hand and all the nastiness in the human mouth at the same time
Not the mouth per dentures, but the upper most or lowest, part of the lips,

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want to create pain and draw blood hit the guy with a palm-strike to the nose. Most of you are probably familiar with the common effects of a blow to the nose, for example, your eyes tear, it hurts like a sonofaB****, and you bleed like a stuck pig. Another benefit is that palm strikes to the face or chin tend to "off-balance" someone (where the head goes, the body follows).

Not a "high pay-off" strike in the sense that it's going to disable someone, I really see this type of thing as a response to an aggressive idiot as opposed to a real criminal-assault, but it's not pleasant and may buy you time to get gone.

Dead Angel

White Belt
Reaction score
I use my nails in streetfights, mixed with my WW2 close combat moves.
I keep my nails in a medium to long dagger shape, they look nice & deadly, My nails are naturally solid so They dont break easily... I'll usually send claws or jabbing their Vitals, like throat or solar plexus with my nails

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many describe using nails in a street fight the woman's way of fighting. However, does that mean it won't work? Would you use your nails in a street fight? Usually if you use your nails to strike, you might be able to cut your attacker. However you might break a nail in the process which can be somewhat painful as well.

I think I would use mine in grappling. Every grip I make I would use my nails and sink it into whatever move (armbar, choke, ect.) I am doing. I don't think I would use it strike, because breaking a nail might not be the wisest (well that is if your life is not at stake, then it is maybe okay).

Also does anyone in hear sharpen their nails just for self-defense? Sound strange to me, but it might no be a bad idea.

I once saw a man ram another man's head in to a wall with a nail sticking out of it......seemed pretty darned effective to me.......oh you mean 'finger' nails......I guess as long as you're using it to punch through his eye it might be effective.

Elodia

White Belt
Reaction score
I saw this online and I wanted to say something (just made an account to say this)

When I used to be in kajekembo(forgot how to spell it lmao sorry) I had to fight this guy to move on with my belts. I punched to giy so hard my nail ripped off and ripped of half of my nail. I was either so in the moment or so I don't give a **** I just kept go fighting, kicking him off of me (he was on top) and using my other hand to win. I was later publicly congratulated for still going after that. I cried, to be honest and so did the other girl, but we were both given a round of applause.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read the title and assumed this was about metal nails, like the screwlike stuff, not the cuticle stuff. Was disappointed by the actual topic

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I read the title and assumed this was about metal nails, like the screwlike stuff, not the cuticle stuff. Was disappointed by the actual topic

A screw-like nail?

This is an ancient thread, but since it is back up, in the Hapkido I learned, we did have some (one or two that I can recall) defenses where we raked an attackers eyes. Not ones to try to set up, but just if an opportunity presented itself by an attacker.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A screw-like nail?

This is an ancient thread, but since it is back up, in the Hapkido I learned, we did have some (one or two that I can recall) defenses where we raked an attackers eyes. Not ones to try to set up, but just if an opportunity presented itself by an attacker.
Easiest way in my sleep-deprived mind to differentiate what type of nail i meant.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can cut a guys face to ribbons with elbows. I mean if I really wanted to disfigure a guy in a fight I would probably choose a better method than nails.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can cut a guys face to ribbons with elbows. I mean if I really wanted to disfigure a guy in a fight I would probably choose a better method than nails.
Very true. Back when I would condition my elbows, I could literally cut a curtain with them. Pretty sure if I ever tried that with a nail, it would not work, might break my nail though. You choose your target for each weapon and all that, but I can't think of a situation where a nail is my best choice of defense.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true. Back when I would condition my elbows, I could literally cut a curtain with them. Pretty sure if I ever tried that with a nail, it would not work, might break my nail though. You choose your target for each weapon and all that, but I can't think of a situation where a nail is my best choice of defense.

A bear hug from the front without your arms pinned. One arm behind the attacker's back for control of the attacker, the other striking up under the chin, depending on the situation you might not wish to try to break the neck, but when applying the strike (or strong push up and back) with an open hand, the heel of the palm under the chin, and the fingers will just naturally reach up and over the eyes, allowing a rake. Fight should be over.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A bear hug from the front without your arms pinned. One arm behind the attacker's back for control of the attacker, the other striking up under the chin, depending on the situation you might not wish to try to break the neck, but when applying the strike (or strong push up and back) with an open hand, the heel of the palm under the chin, and the fingers will just naturally reach up and over the eyes, allowing a rake. Fight should be over.
do you think a bear hug from the front is a common mode of attack? I've never seen such in all my years ! and I don't see how your going to do an upward strike from that position ?

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
do you think a bear hug from the front is a common mode of attack? I've never seen such in all my years ! and I don't see how your going to do an upward strike from that position ?
As an immediate first attack I agree however, grappling happens. Double underhooks, body locks happen and are variations of the bear hug.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that the masters of Sinanju train and condition their fingernails so that they can pierce the skull with them. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As an immediate first attack I agree however, grappling happens. Double underhooks, body locks happen and are variations of the bear hug.

Yes that attack happens.

No those suggested defenses probably won't work.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If im not wanting to put in the force to tisk breaking the neck, im probably not trying to blind the person either. I'd rather try to use my hands to control the person in a mpre effectice manner than hoping i reach into the eyes that i cant see without missing and him realizing what im doing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Restomp the groin.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I look at this from the other side. I have been cut by people's nails while rolling and sparring. A few have been pretty deep. But, every time it happens it goes like: Hey, where is all this blood coming from??? Crap, someone cut my with his nail.... It has never happened like an inadvertent eye poke, were I suddenly jump, cover up and move away, knowing exactly when it happened. Even the cuts that are deep, bleed a ton and sting like the dickens for days... I never knew exactly when the cut happened, always we saw the blood and had to look for the source. I can only imagine that on the street, it would be even harder to feel when you were cut by a nail.

What have I learned? CUT YOUR NAILS before rolling or sparring!!! But, I wouldn't bet on those nails stopping an attacker. I would rather not lose the sparring / rolling time due to cuts, as what you learn sparring and rolling will help you much more than your nails.

Latest Discussions