USAT is a mess and lacking leadership!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thoughts on what is going to happen over the next year! I would like to know what people think!

I am hoping that things change so that we can start participating again but until they do. AAU is really the only option!

If you participate in USAT you are giving money to the people who are raping our sport.

Do the US Open... stay registered so you can vote... but stay away from Nationals.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are many problems with the usat that can not be fixed easily. There would be a lot of feelings hurt, several dismissals and a few legal actions before all could be accomplished. Here are my thoughts :
1. All past and present members/bod/officers/coaches of the usat should be held accountable for past and present actions. Those who broke rules and laws should be dismissed and prosecuted by the law where necessary. Those who exploited for personal gain should be banned and/or fined. Those who have continued to persevere and shine should be rewarded.
2. No more regional qualifiers. Qualify at state championship or another states championship event.
3. Rotate coaching staff and find a way to reinstate resident athlete program At otc for tkd athletes.

To be honest i dont like many things about the usat but they are the NGB for wtf tkd in this country. If you support any other tkd sporting group you are taking away from our true national teams and the programs that support them.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The National teams are controlled by the people who are the problem.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you support the USAT as it is currently constructed you are supporting the people who are the problem and helping them stay in power. As far as athletes they allow a few to make the national teams in divisions they don't care about. Like heavy and batam for example. If you attempt to get into a division that Juan and Jean care about then you had better pack your bags and move or it will never happen. TJ has had the talent for years moved to Miami and look what happened going to the Olympics. I have a great deal of respect for him and I am happy that he is going but the facts are the facts he had to go to Juan to get his shot. If you are supporting USAT you are supporting Peak and Lopez and that's it. Your athletes are just sparring partners these guys at Nationals.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've just tucked my head into my shell and focused on my own students who aren't national team material anyway. I appreciate everyone who stays registered to vote in USAT elections and tries to improve the organization. I really did used to love it.
If we could just take all of the politics out of enjoying kicking each other, wouldn't that be great?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There should be changes to the coaching staff after the games. Hopefully juan and jean get the boot

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you support the USAT as it is currently constructed you are supporting the people who are the problem and helping them stay in power. As far as athletes they allow a few to make the national teams in divisions they don't care about. Like heavy and batam for example. If you attempt to get into a division that Juan and Jean care about then you had better pack your bags and move or it will never happen. TJ has had the talent for years moved to Miami and look what happened going to the Olympics. I have a great deal of respect for him and I am happy that he is going but the facts are the facts he had to go to Juan to get his shot. If you are supporting USAT you are supporting Peak and Lopez and that's it. Your athletes are just sparring partners these guys at Nationals.
So then what are we supposed to do? U talk a lot but suggest no optoins to fix the problems. The usat is the NGB!

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So then what are we supposed to do? U talk a lot but suggest no optoins to fix the problems. The usat is the NGB!

I gave my suggestion on the BOD thread. Get as many club owners together as possible and recall Herb and Marty. That would send a message.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Starve them don't give them money! Stay registered and vote. Let them know why you don't participate at nationals. Never suggested that you don't stay involved. Support the only organization in TKD that is even remotely fair AAU.

If you are able run for office! Don't give money to those who waste it (USAT) Some of the most respected martial artists in the world have given their opinion to EP and he refuses to listen.

And Vote for Brandon Meek and Anne Chase!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I have a great deal of respect for him and I am happy that he is going but the facts are the facts he had to go to Juan to get his shot. If you are supporting USAT you are supporting Peak and Lopez and that's it. Your athletes are just sparring partners these guys at Nationals.
This is so true. And if you win at National they just take you and you look like you represent Juan or Peak. We had a guy who just won at Nationals and went through a couple of Peak fighters to do so. Did not matter in the end as once he made team the same coach that we just beat twice, our guy now fights for. It was sickning to see this Peak coach laughing and joking with our student at the end when filling out the paperwork to be on the team. And there was nothing we could do about it. Very frustration indeed. We got him there. We beat there best, but in the end we are tossed to the side and have to watch someone else take what we produced. Something just did not feel right.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score

Poomsae is exploding. 2012 USAT National has 892 Male registered & 636 Female registered. These numbers derived from Grass Roots and World Class in all events (Individual, Pairs, & Team)

USAT offers Poomsae Team Trials for the World Poomsae Championship.

The trends so far looking like USAT will not just be a fighting organization but also Poomsae organization.

AAU does not have this type of quality programs.

I will stick with USAT because it is the NGB recognized by WTF.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And you will fund your own way in poomse because NGB has no money and no interest in poomse. You will have to fund yourself in poomse if you go to worlds. All the $ they take in at nationals is lost in the rat whole that is the USAT.

BTW the WTF has no respect for the USAT.

Taekwondodo....Juan and Jean Thank You,

Last edited:
OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
THE SAD TRUTH!!! Your son is this type of talent! You will have to move to Florida. If you want him to go to the Olympics under the current system.

This is so true. And if you win at National they just take you and you look like you represent Juan or Peak. We had a guy who just won at Nationals and went through a couple of Peak fighters to do so. Did not matter in the end as once he made team the same coach that we just beat twice, our guy now fights for. It was sickning to see this Peak coach laughing and joking with our student at the end when filling out the paperwork to be on the team. And there was nothing we could do about it. Very frustration indeed. We got him there. We beat there best, but in the end we are tossed to the side and have to watch someone else take what we produced. Something just did not feel right.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
THE SAD TRUTH!!! Your son is this type of talent! You will have to move to Florida. If you want him to go to the Olympics under the current system.
Well let's hope Brandon can at least make a wave or two if he wins. Herb is really pushing for Angle though. You can read some of Herb's post on Facebook here. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/USAT.Coaches/

I hope what Rhonda stated in her post is true and he can be voted out.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Arthur, it's sad to see an athlete that you've developed go sign up for PEAK right after he made team. That's messed up!!! But remember that the ATC developed 100% of what he is now and maybe 95% of what he'll be later. I've personally known TKD athletes that went to PEAK and get burned out or discouraged!!! They find out that they're not the focus or get roughed up. Tony, Paige, Terrence, James, Nicole, and few others are the exception, but at least they had the blessing from their instructors. As far as this topic, Jean has developed Steven, Mark, and Diana to great world and Olympic success. Once they retire from competition, he will move on the consult other nations. Until then, I feel that he deserves to be the Olympic and National coach. As far as Juan, he has constructed PEAK to be a collector of other people's athletes. I've heard him say before that he'd stop being a National Team Coach in 2012 or 2016 (can't remember exactly). But I honestly don't think that's gonna happen!!! Coaches Jason Poos & Sherman Nelson are examples of great leaders who give back to our sport. I'd like to see them take over the US Junior Team coaching.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
And you will fund your own way in poomse because NGB has no money and no interest in poomse. You will have to fund yourself in poomse if you go to worlds. All the $ they take in at nationals is lost in the rat whole that is the USAT.

BTW the WTF has no respect for the USAT.

Taekwondodo....Juan and Jean Thank You,
I happened to be blessed to be in the USA Poomsae Team last year and traveled to Russia and competed with the other top Poomsae players.

I had to pay $5K to do this. It was my pleasure and it was an priceless experience. At the World Championship, I realized I can hang with this ladies easily.

I am the Alternate for 2 divisions, and if I am blessed again to be able to go to the 7th World Poomsae Champsionship this December, I will gladly pay my way to hang with those ladies again.

Us die hard Poomsae players do not wait for any CEO or organization to lead us to the World or compete in different countries. There are many of us do it because we want to. Some has gone to Canada Open, Spanish Open, the Korean Open, etc.

Currently few of the other Team members is going to the World Hamnadang in Korea in couple of weeks.

Who is sponsoring? None one, not USAT nor AAU. All of the money is coming out of the athletes themselves.

We need a NGB that is recognized by the WTF for us to compete at the World Championship and Pan Am.

Also, another point, the director of Poomsae program stated that the USAT CEO is looking into funding the Team in future international events. It is a long road, but the CEO is recognizing that Poomsae is exploding and he will be working on it.

Poomsae players just do, and we don't wait for anyone.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taekwondodo....I admire you for your dedication...the USAT As currently constructed will never fund Poomsae....they have a hard enough time funding the National Team for sparring. This is a tragedy a well run NGB should be able to fund poomsae also!!!

The great money pit that is the USAT!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taekwondodo I applaud you as I know you and I would hope that Eric will deeply look into funding a team. The problem I see and believe me this is my own opinion here the USAT financial are behind two years and for them to do anything at this point of the year is impossible. I also find it bad that the US poomsae team has to pay there way what happens when a player does not have the funds they are left behind? That does not seem right to me, believe me I am working on getting sponsors to start my org up once again to help athletes with funding. Look me up if you need help down the line.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taekwondodo....go on ladytkd and see what Herb is posting about Poomsae....this is your newly elected BOD member!

They smile in your face and laugh behind your back! Very Sad!

Poomsae players are very dedicated and are the spirit of our Martial Art!

USAT SHOULD FUND POOMSAE!!!!!

Latest Discussions