A bit unhappy right now

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night I get a phone call from an employee at the Y where my class is held asking "What would you call Tai Chi?" I'm like "umm... it's an eastern martial art?" And the other person says "Right... now why would the Y be bringing in another martial arts class? Even better, why is the Y paying this guy $10/hour to teach and you've never made a dime?"

In 28 years no instructor of my school has ever been paid. When the last head instructor asked for mileage for the 2 hour drive each way, he was told 'The Y doesn't pay martial arts instructors'. Now, $10/hour isn't a lot of money. I'd get $30 a week. It's the principle. I've had one instructor quit already, and I haven't told any of the others. I know the guy teaching the class, he's related to a friend. Nice guy, used to have his own Kung Fu school before he moved here. I don't think he is out to get anything. The fitness coordinator is trying to bring him in to offer this class. The fitness coordinator is currently pissed at me for taking back an hour for a white belt class, because her pilates class in that time slot was failing. I am the only class instructor that does not report to her, so she can't push around my program. I report straight to the executive director. She knows that I'm now gunning for her OTHER failing pilates class time slot, so that I am back to 2 beginner/2 advanced classes every week. I would put money that if this Tai Chi class does start, after a while she might try to get him a Kung Fu class, a martial arts class that she can control.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
completely understandable.

perhaps its time to re-evaluate your position and re-negotiate your deal.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 'Y' doesn't pay martial arts instructors.

1) Does the 'Y' charge students for martial arts classes?
2) Does the 'Y' pay instructors for other types of classes (swimming, pilates, yoga, etc)?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Y is in shutdown this week. I'll know more next week.

This is a good thing as it allows you the opportunity to decide the right approach in dealing with this issue. Often times when we make a snap decision we later think of a better way we could have handled the situation.

I hope this all works out well for everyone involved.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not commenting on the Y policy, but maybe you need to use your connections and make friends with the Tai Chi guy.

While I see your frustration, I can also see that there is no real overlap in the clients either is attracting.

(but in all, when you get her second time slot, remember to smile at her very friendly like every time you see her.) :)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible that they are willing to pay the tai chi instructor because they want to attract more senior citizens? I used to be a member at the Y, and the older patrons were a good balance for the Y: they come in the middle of the day when it's not otherwise busy, they don't hog machines, and they are more apt to buy the more expensive memberships. If I were running the Y, I'd rather have more older people joining for these reasons.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The people that teach yoga, zumba, all that stuff, they get paid. We are the only instructors that don't. Up until 2010 the class did cost $45, now it's free for members. Every other class has always been free. So for about 26 years we were bringing in money, and didn't get paid a dime. Of course, we could also take our ball and go home. And take all those students AND their money with us.

As for senior citizens, they've pretty much got the market cornered already. If the Tai Chi class is offered early mornings, I won't be worried. If she slots it in the evenings, I'll be concerned. If she slots it in the last time slot I'm after, I'm going to be pissed, and I'll know it's on purpose. She had to give the hour for beginners to me because she forgot about the fact that every room is wired for video AND sound when she got rude with me a few weeks ago, and I had the director review the tape. :angel:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In North America, tai chi is generally considered to be a gentle exercise for old people. Logically I would think they would have the class in the morning for the old people. Let us know how it turns out!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, $10/hour isn't a lot of money. I'd get $30 a week. It's the principle.

If you didn't care if you got paid before, then why would you care now, even if the tai chi teacher was getting ten bucks an hour? Keep teaching a good class and nothing that lady does can or should bother you.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't get paid because 'The YMCA doesn't pay martial arts instructors' - that's straight from the head of the Y, to the last head of the school when he asked for something to help pay for gas since he was driving 2 hours each way. If you aren't going to pay any, fine.. If you are going to pay one, pay them all. I more care about the fact that I'm possibly going to lose a very good instructor over it.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We don't get paid because 'The YMCA doesn't pay martial arts instructors' - that's straight from the head of the Y, to the last head of the school when he asked for something to help pay for gas since he was driving 2 hours each way. If you aren't going to pay any, fine.. If you are going to pay one, pay them all. I more care about the fact that I'm possibly going to lose a very good instructor over it.

My cousin works at the Y and I believe the pay him like $15 to $20 an hour to teach. Heck, they charge his students like $60 a month or so. I never heard of the Y not paying. This is in cali.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm surprised the OP doesn't get paid even if it is only minimum wage. There are all sorts of reasons why they should put him on the books as an employee if only so they can have proper termination rights.