“Urban Boxing”

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. I've seen more than one person get so focused on "winning" that they forget the real object - getting away without getting hurt.
And if all your training is around the next progression "in" (more control, etc.), then you haven't trained any exits - following the training (which is what we hope will happen) actually makes it harder to run away. Some portion of training should actually include making that space, recognizing it, and using it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if all your training is around the next progression "in" (more control, etc.), then you haven't trained any exits - following the training (which is what we hope will happen) actually makes it harder to run away. Some portion of training should actually include making that space, recognizing it, and using it.
You marked my posts x with out any explanation, running away is only a valid option if you. An run faster that who ever it is who is chasing you other wise your just exposing you unprotected back to them ,also taking into account, that you can't leave your wife, buddy, or un cooperative dog behin any attempt fi r me to run would be fooled by my dog insisting on going the other way or a big a long sniff

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You marked my posts x with out any explanation, running away is only a valid option if you. An run faster that who ever it is who is chasing you other wise your just exposing you unprotected back to them ,also taking into account, that you can't leave your wife, buddy, or un cooperative dog behin any attempt fi r me to run would be fooled by my dog insisting on going the other way or a big a long sniff
Actually, I marked two of your posts that way. On one, I disagreed with the premise that how much someone annoys you somehow correlates to how much they should get hurt. In the other, I disagreed with the premise that everyone's first instinct is flight. Lots of untrained people (meaning they haven't had to work their way out of "flight" reaciton) jump first to "fight".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I marked two of your posts that way. On one, I disagreed with the premise that how much someone annoys you somehow correlates to how much they should get hurt. In the other, I disagreed with the premise that everyone's first instinct is flight. Lots of untrained people (meaning they haven't had to work their way out of "flight" reaciton) jump first to "fight".

I know it was two, that's why I used the plural " posts".
You may disagree with the premise, but it is the "law of the jungle", that the amount of annoyance you caused your opponent, is proportional to the amount of damage they will attempt to inflict on you.

A minor dispute that comes to blows is likely to be resolved when one gives in. Some one with a serious grudge be cause you've been sleeping with there wife or you've kicked their dog, will try and put you in intensive care, tapping out will get you no where. your getting a beAting. In the middle ground, if some one has punched me in the nose, the fights not over till they have sustained five times the damage.

That is It's self learnt behaviour young children and not a few adults are programmed to run from danger, if they have learnt to stand up for themselves, which is commonly what parents tell children that's Change from their natural stAte

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it was two, that's why I used the plural " posts".
You may disagree with the premise, but it is the "law of the jungle", that the amount of annoyance you caused your opponent, is proportional to the amount of damage they will attempt to inflict on you.
That's the reaction of those without self-control. If someone annoys me, I don't feel the need to hurt them. If I'm hurting someone, it's because I need to stop them from hurting me or someone else. It's the perceived threat, not the annoyance, that determines my response level.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the reaction of those without self-control. If someone annoys me, I don't feel the need to hurt them. If I'm hurting someone, it's because I need to stop them from hurting me or someone else. It's the perceived threat, not the annoyance, that determines my response level.
That maybe you, but it isn't a lot of people and it certainly isn't me, it's take a self control To only damage them 5 timess and even more to only Put then in intensive care.

Nb, I'm not talking about minor annoyances like someone knocking your pint over or banging into you, when I was 25 perhaps, but I'm more chilled now, rather significant annoyances like some one punching you or stealing your bacy

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That maybe you, but it isn't a lot of people and it certainly isn't me, it's take a self control To only damage them 5 timess and even more to only Put then in intensive care.

Nb, I'm not talking about minor annoyances like someone knocking your pint over or banging into you, when I was 25 perhaps, but I'm more chilled now, rather significant annoyances like some one punching you or stealing your bacy
I don't know what bacy is, but I don't want to have mine stolen. :eek:

And the issue with punching isn't the annoyance - it's the threat. That's the point I was making.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know what bacy is, but I don't want to have mine stolen. :eek:

And the issue with punching isn't the annoyance - it's the threat. That's the point I was making.
Tobacco, a serious misdemeanor that would have you beaten to a pulp. I know your point, but that not how most of the rest of humanity function, it's about retribution , so he has been punished commensurate with his actions

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tobacco, a serious misdemeanor that would have you beaten to a pulp. I know your point, but that not how most of the rest of humanity function, it's about retribution , so he has been punished commensurate with his actions
I don't use bacy much (we'd spell it "baccy" here in the Southern US), but yeah, stealing mine is worth a caning.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Half the time, you can't just run away. Like if you live in a bad neighborhood and are often targeted. Especially if you follow a pattern of taking the bus to work/school at a specific time. Sometimes you do need to throw down and make a statement.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Half the time, you can't just run away. Like if you live in a bad neighborhood and are often targeted. Especially if you follow a pattern of taking the bus to work/school at a specific time. Sometimes you do need to throw down and make a statement.
If they know me and my address, that’s a shitty situation. Easy to retaliate in many ways.

Otherwise, I agree it is a good idea. But after the statement, please avoid the same route for a while. I did. :) They could come in number... or worse... The (sort of) statement needed to be done (2 guys stalking and intimidating a young girl in the metro), but then I spent more 15 min each way, using another route, every day for awhile...

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If they know me and my address, that’s a shitty situation. Easy to retaliate in many ways.

Otherwise, I agree it is a good idea. But after the statement, please avoid the same route for a while. I did. :) They could come in number... or worse... The (sort of) statement needed to be done (2 guys stalking and intimidating a young girl in the metro), but then I spent more 15 min each way, using another route, every day for awhile...

Yeah, there's no clear answer to this either your way nor mine. Sometimes if you fight and win, you can invite retaliation in forms of more dudes jumping you + knives + guns, etc. While other times, if you don't fight, then you get the same beat down every time you run into them.

In general though, if it's someone from your 'hood and you see them around, then you're better off getting it over with and fight....but keep it honorable as that goes a long ways in terms of not inviting revenge later.

D

Deleted member 39746

Yeah, there's no clear answer to this either your way nor mine. Sometimes if you fight and win, you can invite retaliation in forms of more dudes jumping you + knives + guns, etc. While other times, if you don't fight, then you get the same beat down every time you run into them.

In general though, if it's someone from your 'hood and you see them around, then you're better off getting it over with and fight....but keep it honorable as that goes a long ways in terms of not inviting revenge later.

this is like when you get told there are some bullies which beating them up doesn't get rid of them, just incites them to keep coming to fight.

Restraining order attempt is a option though. Or other legal pathway if you can prove it happened to prevent retaliation or to convince the police you are a target so they watch you etc.

By the way, parkor is just good fitness as well.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could always turn the tables.

Mask up, follow the people of the problem group individually and get them when they're alone.

Leaving someone tied to a tree 100 miles from home might adjust their attitude, especially if they can't identify you...

(I do not condone this action in any way, legal recourse is obviously always the only and best way.)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could always turn the tables.

Mask up, follow the people of the problem group individually and get them when they're alone.

Leaving someone tied to a tree 100 miles from home might adjust their attitude, especially if they can't identify you...

(I do not condone this action in any way, legal recourse is obviously always the only and best way.)
If they can't identify you, it's pointless as they don't know to to adjust their attitude to ??????

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they can't identify you, it's pointless as they don't know to to adjust their attitude to ??????

If they don't know who you are, they'll have to be nice to everyone.

It's like a civic service.

Latest Discussions