“Urban Boxing”

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve watched a few of this guys videos. He’s very open minded. Towards the end he talks about mixing Parkour with MMA as a style. Sounds funny at first but Parkour is excellent for conditioning. Ever watch Beast Master? LOL

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If one has the time to put in anything that helps increase flexibility, strength, body awareness & control, environment awareness, and movement will enhance overall performance.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's the video I remember it's not a bad idea really.

Take fighting techniques and methods you know and have trained in, add 'extreme running away' and you've got a pretty good SD core.

Even so, it'll probably get you beaten or killed innit ;)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When running away is the best solution, parkour can only help. I had one instructor mixing both things as well, MMA and parkour.

Seriously, if we don’t train ‘running away’, under stress we may forget (or not be able to use) this option.

Once sparring with knifes, one guy against me was jumping back so far that I just turned back and went out of the door. He was puzzled at first, but I think (only) then he understood why he shouldn’t give that much space; and that going away can be the best option.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When running away is the best solution, parkour can only help. I had one instructor mixing both things as well, MMA and parkour.

Seriously, if we don’t train ‘running away’, under stress we may forget (or not be able to use) this option.

Once sparring with knifes, one guy against me was jumping back so far that I just turned back and went out of the door. He was puzzled at first, but I think (only) then he understood why he shouldn’t give that much space; and that going away can be the best option.
You might forget how to run( away) thats a seriously bad memory, that's lik e forgetting how to see

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^ Right! Nobody forgets how to run away. :D

Now, f you have injuries, disabilities, are seriously out of shape, or are protecting someone else... running away is a lot harder.

You might be forced to stand your ground. You know, "back against the wall" ...¨entre la espada y la pared¨ or what we call going defondo.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm too old to do Parkour seriously, but my son does it and I dabble a bit. Putting our sense of "martial arts" aside, escape is outstanding self defense and Parkour is good and fun training. I'm all for it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might forget how to run( away) thats a seriously bad memory, that's lik e forgetting how to see

Not really. I've seen more than one person get so focused on "winning" that they forget the real object - getting away without getting hurt.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
The almighty ego gets in the way....

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s not forget how to run, it is forgetting this is an option. Furthermore, parkour (training) gives more exit ways; and higher success rate running away...

PS: Not sure I should reply to you, jobo. But replied just in case I was not clear before.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Now, f you have injuries, disabilities, are seriously out of shape, or are protecting someone else... running away is a lot harder.

You might be forced to stand your ground. You know, "back against the wall" ...¨entre la espada y la pared¨ or what we call going defondo.
It is not THE solution. It is ONE option sometimes, for some of us.

Are you Spanish?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. I've seen more than one person get so focused on "winning" that they forget the real object - getting away without getting hurt.
That might be your objective, but it's not necessarily THE objective of a fight, if somone has annoyed you sufficiently ( by say attacking you in the street)it's quite reasonable to have the objective of hurting him_sufficiently that you feel the slight has been equalled, even I f that means taking some damage yourself,
Getting away with out being badly hurt, seems a reasonable objective,

Trying not to get hurt/ escape is a,sure fire way of getting hurt quite badly, unless you are really quick on your toes

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s not forget how to run, it is forgetting this is an option. Furthermore, parkour (training) gives more exit ways; and higher success rate running away...

PS: Not sure I should reply to you, jobo. But replied just in case I was not clear before.
It's still seriously bad memory if you forget it's an option.

Running away fRom danger Is us hard wired into us, people have to over come the running a Way instinct before they can actually fight

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve watched a few of this guys videos. He’s very open minded. Towards the end he talks about mixing Parkour with MMA as a style. Sounds funny at first but Parkour is excellent for conditioning. Ever watch Beast Master? LOL

Well yes, but the parkour thing masks the underlying message,parkour, is gymnastics, our door applied gymnastics, but definitely gymnastics,

Having a good gymnastic ability is a real advantage in a fight, it takes tremendous strengh and coordination for a,start, so long before you feel the need to scale a 10 foot fence or jump out of a window, it's of immense benefits for moving your body through space and applying power where needed

D

Deleted member 39746

For the record this isnt new. In some self defence styles the teacher has you do drills in which you get down on the floor and back up quickly and vault over things etc. Plus if you teach to a police market there is merit to teach how to traverse obstacles same with a military one and a civilian one.

If it is parkour, more to him as thats not officially taught in many places. Most people have to practice themselves and learn the breakfalls and rolls etc themselves. The more people who offer a structured environment to learn it the better.

Funnily enough, it didnt have a name until recently as it was just traversing obstacles. (and is)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For the record this isnt new. In some self defence styles the teacher has you do drills in which you get down on the floor and back up quickly and vault over things etc. Plus if you teach to a police market there is merit to teach how to traverse obstacles same with a military one and a civilian one.

If it is parkour, more to him as thats not officially taught in many places. Most people have to practice themselves and learn the breakfalls and rolls etc themselves. The more people who offer a structured environment to learn it the better.

Funnily enough, it didnt have a name until recently as it was just traversing obstacles. (and is)

it does have a name in the military ......................traversing obstacles was called doing the assault course

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Rat

Don't get anything civvy mixed up with anything military as they are trained for different things and very different purposes

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's still seriously bad memory if you forget it's an option.
‘Bad memory’ under stress, if you want. We do what we practice, or what we trust. Under stress, it is not time to ‘let’s see if it works’. So... if you don’t know if you can jump a wall (to run away), it is not an (smart) option.

If you only do parkour (not martial arts) I imagine you would see plenty of possible exit routes anywhere; and fighting would be a secondary option in most cases.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
If one has the time to put in anything that helps increase flexibility, strength, body awareness & control, environment awareness, and movement will enhance overall performance.

That's a Texas-sized 10-4!

I will fess up to doing so, actually! I was grappling in Hapkido (I wasn't a long-term student, it was all that was available on a temporary assignment), and I got so focused on using my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu background that I completely gave up several opportunities to just disengage and back away, which was the actual goal of the exercise. Now granted, that was practice, but the point is it can happen.

Latest Discussions