Unknown Knuckle Damage

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by NCRonin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

People say things like this a lot, and I don't understand it. Maybe it's because I started training young, but those "half a second responses" and "2 inch error" aren't things that have ever concerned me. When I'm in the moment, I throw a punch when I plan to throw it, and it generally works. If I throw a punch to an area, I'm going to hit that area, and if I'm not confident that I can, I make a "half second decision" to hit somewhere easier/larger. And I will do so with a proper fist, the same one I have thrown thousands of times in the past. The issues won't come from the timing or accuracy needed, or an issue with how I form a fist, the issues will come from my opponent doing something unexpected, resulting in a different body part/limb in the area I'm expecting to hit. The real issue is variability, not timing or accuracy.

Then again, maybe I just am lucky enough to avoid those two issues because of how early I started training, but I don't think that's the case.

2. NCRonin

NCRonin White Belt

Your quite right, in a perfect world training trumps most everything. I've been training since I was six, seriously since I was eleven, but a real fight isn't in an ideal world. You can throw a perfect punch at the perfect time and still fail, just like with ANY technique. The person your punching might trip at the last moment and double the power of your hit or cause you to hyperextend your elbow at the sudden lack of a rooted target. The only thing that makes other strikes/movements slighlty safer is it's harder to hurt yourself, with a punch a dozen things can suddenly and unexpectedly work against you and cause you a lot of pain.

Be cautious of being to sure in your skill, it can fail you at unexpected moments.

3. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Those issues would fall into the variability aspect though. If someone trips at the last second, it doesn't matter if the spot I was hitting was an eighth of an inch, two inches, or the entire midsection, I'm still going to miss.

4. NCRonin

NCRonin White Belt

Well if anyone reads this, I've had this happen to me a few more times. It ends up healing after about 1.5 weeks. To clear some things up the issue isn't loose skin, the sensation I'm talking about is that of inflamed soft tissue that swells up between the knuckle bone and skin causing the relationship between the two in a new and alien way. Seems to be just inflammation. It happened less and less over a year and a half, now I'm doing more damage to the steel dummy than to my knuckles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ironbear24

Ironbear24 Senior Master

That is because your body gets stronger the more you condition your body. Glad to hear you have gotten stronger.

6. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Hey, long time, no see, IB! How are you?

• Like Like x 1
  7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Iron bear returns

8. Ironbear24

Ironbear24 Senior Master

Long story short. I ended up in a mental institution and now, I'm not as niave about the world as I used to be. I am getting my life back step by step.

9. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

short story short. Glad to see you back

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Glad you came back.

11. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member