Knee pain suggestions.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I been working on my roundhouse kicks a lot lately, and other kicks as well. And my knees ache. I looked at the anatomy of the knee pinned thread for advice but the page it has linked there is no longer available.

I mean I could go to the doctor but they are just going order and x-ray and that takes awhile. I will still do it to be safe but I'm wondering if there is anything you guys do for knee pain and treatment.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ice and rest, if it doesn't get better see a doc. Is it in both knees?

Also make sure you stretch well after. Tight muscles can put pressure on your joint and make them hurt even if there's nothing wrong with the joint itself

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See a doctor. You don't know what they may do.

Consider that if roundhouse kicks make your knees hurt, you may have incorrect body mechanics.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is anything you guys do for knee pain and treatment.
I do a combination of what is advised by Flatfish and Bill
My choices are one of these two things depending on how bad my knee hurts. The worse the pain is the more likely I would need to see the doctor. Not every knee pain demands a trip to the doctor, but you are the only one that can tell if your pain is a result of over-training and wearing your knee out. Or if it's a more serious issue.

For me, my first step is to ice and Rest even if you are going to see a doctor. I follow the R.I.C.E method from when I took 3 years of sports medicine in high school. In reality I don't always use the compression because the injuries that I get don't always involve swelling. I treat all of my injuries regardless of how small. The bigger injuries usually require me to use compression. You should always take care of an injury regardless of how small. I give my knees a rest when I feel a small discomfort, I don't push like I used to do when I was younger. When I was younger it was always about pushing through, but I learned the hard way that sometimes, pushing through makes the problem worse. Had I slowed things down when I felt the discomfort then I could have completely healed within one or two days of rest.

Don't let injuries heal on their own. Always treat them. If the injuries are still bad then see a doctor. Some doctors will actually tell you that if a pain persist beyond a certain amount of time then you should see the doctor. But they usually follow that up with. "listen to your body." You known when something isn't right and might need more attention than what you can do.

I would also do what Bill suggested which is to pay attention to my body mechanics of how I do a round house kick. When my knee is better I would do a round house kick slow enough where I can pay attention to what's going on with my standing leg. I need to see if I'm twisting on my knee or not. If you kick too fast then you may not be able to detect the twisting. You don't need to kick in slow motion, but the kick has to be at a speed that will allow you to take note of your body mechanics. Keep in mind it may not be a big twist. It may be small twisting that you don't notice when you are kicking hard. Take a video of you doing a round house kick to help you analyze your kicking mechanics.

Also ask your teach to take a look at your round house. Let him know what trouble you are having. He may be able to see something you don't.

My guess is that you either over-trained and wore your body out or your kicking mechanics are off and you are twisting on the knee.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like this, and no it isn't a shot at you personally, Ironbear. People say "my knee (or whatever else) hurts; what's wrong with it?" all the time. I always say "how am I supposed to know when all you've said is it hurts?"

What are you supposed to do about knee pain? What you need to do could range from nothing at all to full knee replacement or amputation. It all depends on what is wrong with it.

Tell us more about your knee.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I been working on my roundhouse kicks a lot lately, and other kicks as well. And my knees ache. I looked at the anatomy of the knee pinned thread for advice but the page it has linked there is no longer available.

I mean I could go to the doctor but they are just going order and x-ray and that takes awhile. I will still do it to be safe but I'm wondering if there is anything you guys do for knee pain and treatment.
A good kick to the kneecap usually....oh, wait, you wanted to know....ah, right, then.

Do go to your doctor if it's sharp (doesn't sound like it, since you used the word "ache") or lasts more than a few days. He can tell you a lot about the pain without x-rays and MRI. The location of the pain, the type of pain, and when you feel it will all be indicators of what is injured and how badly. Some knee pain is insignificant. Some is significant, but just needs rest from aggravating activity for a few days. Some is an indicator of a weakness somewhere in the knee's support system. A small portion of knee pains indicate something that would require therapy or surgical intervention, and you want to rule those out before you make them worse.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Consider that if roundhouse kicks make your knees hurt, you may have incorrect body mechanics.
I've been wondering this about my own kicks lately. I've put more power practice in than I've done in a long time, and my knees (and one hip) have been griping about it. I need to find someone who's really good at teaching kicks to get a refresher, because I think I've let something creep into my kicks that's causing trouble.

That, or my knees are just being b*tchy. They do that sometimes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been wondering this about my own kicks lately. I've put more power practice in than I've done in a long time, and my knees (and one hip) have been griping about it. I need to find someone who's really good at teaching kicks to get a refresher, because I think I've let something creep into my kicks that's causing trouble.

That, or my knees are just being b*tchy. They do that sometimes.
What type of kick are you doing? Side?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of kick are you doing? Side?
Mostly round kicks. I've never favored side kicks, and my front kicks are rarely for power - more for controlling space or setting up the round kicks. My front kicks can't reliably reach the face, but my round kicks can reach the head.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I do mawashigeri or otoshigeri, I find I'm more apt to injure the knee on the planted leg than the kicking leg. Generally I'm not allowing my planted foot to reposition leading to twisting the knee. I try to watch that. Worse for us heavy guys.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
loose weight strengthen your legs.

Capoeira gave me knee pain for about 6 months getting used to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of knee pain are we talking about? And where on the knee, exactly? Is it the exact same thing in both knees? Is it constant, or just when you're kicking, when you're walking, when you're sitting? Did it come on suddenly, or have you been dealing with this for a bit?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard eating a tablespoon of cinnamon every morning helps with strengthen joint ligaments and tendons.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

But I don't wanna have bad body mechanics :(. People at the dojo say my low roundhouse has bad mechanics because I tend to not "drop my weight into it each time" but the higher it goes they say the better I am at doing them.

If it is bad from I guess I can post a video later to see what's going on.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kind of knee pain are we talking about? And where on the knee, exactly? Is it the exact same thing in both knees? Is it constant, or just when you're kicking, when you're walking, when you're sitting? Did it come on suddenly, or have you been dealing with this for a bit?

When standing up, squatting and kicking, it is in both but more severe on the right.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned before get checked out by a physician!

Then have your instructor help correct your mechanics so that you get it right according to your system.

I have suffered from knee pain in my left knee. I teach roughly 10 to 15 private and group lessons a week plus I run two to three times a week, lift weights, etc. A while ago it was really starting to bother me so I on a whim tried the copper fit Brett Favre knee sleeves. I haven't had knee pain since then.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before get checked out by a physician!

Then have your instructor help correct your mechanics so that you get it right according to your system.

I have suffered from knee pain in my left knee. I teach roughly 10 to 15 private and group lessons a week plus I run two to three times a week, lift weights, etc. A while ago it was really starting to bother me so I on a whim tried the copper fit Brett Favre knee sleeves. I haven't had knee pain since then.
You know, I have a pair of copper fit sleeves. They don't seem to help much, no matter what pocket of my training bag I leave them in.

Latest Discussions