Unabridged Library of Contemporary Kenpo

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
distalero said:
Not to leap on your statements, but just to clarify: can one be perfectly, "zennily" aware at all times? I don't know. Is awareness hoped for in the toilet? Absolutely. In the Zen monastaries I've been in there is always a small figure of the Buddha above the toilet, partly to remind anyone interested that all activities can be "attended" to. Should we distinguish clinically significant hypervigilance from other forms of being aware? Yep. Having said that, though, anyone who has been in a traumatic experience has no choice but to "scan" situations. It's one of the things you have to work on to decrease. It doesn't go away completely, nor should it necessarily. Does it run your nervous system into the ground? Not if you work on it. Can you there, in the safety of your home, approximate this kind awareness? Hopefully not in the way some of us did, but yes, I think you can and should. Part of being a competent human being.
Right, again I think behavior can be modified without these behaviors being a tax on your system because its simply the way you behave out of habbit.
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I believe an awareness approach to teching delayed sword is a valid method, you do not. As I believe it is also OK to train "Delayed Sword" (or any other tech)with full grab(or what ever the attack happens to be) as a what if, it negates much of "the" argument. Further, you wouldn't be having Pizza if not for the utensils.
Sean

Maybe I just don't understand your position?? :idunno: Stranger things have happened.
Could you please help me understand better what you mean by
an awareness approach to teching delayed sword is a valid method
. I really don't know yet if I agree or disagree with it I suppose, not until I'm satisfied that I have a good grasp of what you are trying to get across. I'm not replying to your posts and trying to be antagonistic...really. I've got no time to argue for argument's sake: but debate can lead to better understanding....which is all I really want.

IF I am understanding you correctly: then an awareness approach to teaching delayed sword is to not teach it as a grab, but as an oncoming hand...so it's more like blocking the oncoming hand than as usually trained, is that correct?? Are you talking of changing the nature of the attack??

Really Sean, maybe you've got something good to teach me...
or maybe, just maybe....you are wrong.

:ultracool
Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions