Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

T

triwahine

I will say that I was impressed with the way Chris Leben came back in to talk with Kenny, congratulate him, and say how proud he was.... I think that shows that Chris is starting to mature just alittle. If he keeps improving his attitude, he'll be back. I think he could go far is he develops better character, matures some more, and keeps working on all his skills. Lots of power, now he just needs maturity on his side.

As for Diego and Josh. That was pretty good fight. Three rounds and split decision. Josh did well with takedowns, but made no real attempt to improve his position or to gain better control. Diego worked the entire time. To see the triangle would have been nice. The guillotine looked good, but Josh had time on his side for that one. Sure was close.....

Can't wait to see who "Sam the Politician" fights. Does anyone know if he can fight? I'm serious on that one. Haven't seen him do anything yet. What do you think? Will Forrest be cleared to fight?

C

clapping_tiger

We already know who Sam will fight. It will be either Forrest or Southworth. Sam will have to fight the other light heavy from Team Liddell. I haven't seen anything from Sam either, who knows what to expect from him. :idunno: But it's hard for me to be on his side after the stuff they showed of him. I still think he may have stole that stuff, seems kind of weird that people were missing what he had extra of. I hope Forest is cleared to fight, I didn't get to see the show yet, but I watched the fight this morning so I didn't see anything they showed on Forrest's cut. It will be a bummer though if Southworth gets a shot. I have said it before, and still feel the same way. Once you lose your out, no do overs.................

C

clapping_tiger

This Sucks!!!! I was just on The Ultimate Fighter site and here is the card. It would be nice if they televised the preliminary bouts :( I wanted to see Nate Quarry fight. Not to mention to see if Jason Thacker (he's the one who's bed Chris urinated on right?) gets a little revenge for the "spritzing". Hopefull they show highlights from the Prelims.

TUF Finale Fight Card
Middlweight Final
Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin

Non-televised preliminary bouts:
Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Sanford
Chris Leben vs. Jason Thacker
Lodune Sincaid vs. Nate Quarry
Alex Karalexis vs. Josh Rafferty

more fights to be announced soon

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That does suck! I would almost rather see all those non-televised than see the few televised!

7sm

T

triwahine

I thought Lodune was a light heavyweight and Nate was a middleweight. How can the two be in prelims, unless Lodune lost 20+ pounds or Nate gained some.... Interesting....

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Of these fights I think the last two fights would be worth watching. First two are going to be done very fast. Probably will not last 1 round.

Did anyone hear Bobby Southworth when they were back inside the dressing rooms. He said that decision was B.S to Josh. I agree on the split decision, but one judge had it 30-27 for Josh. Meaning he thought Josh won all three rounds. That was crazy.

C

clapping_tiger

triwahine said:
Can't wait to see who "Sam the Politician" fights. Does anyone know if he can fight? I'm serious on that one. Haven't seen him do anything yet. What do you think? Will Forrest be cleared to fight?

:whip: Sometimes I can be so stupid. You meant who as in Southworth or Forrest. I am a moron sometimes.

I know 30-27 for Koscheck was out there. I felt Diageo Took the 1st and 3rd for sure, the only round I could see going one way or the other would have been the 2nd. One would assume that the Judges are well versed in MMA, but sometimes you wonder.......................
I think the other 2 judges were more on the money with a 29-28 Diageo.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
clapping_tiger said:
I was just on The Ultimate Fighter site and here is the card.

TUF Finale Fight Card
Middlweight Final
Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin

more fights to be announced soon

Interesting. Maybe I should be keeping an eye on that site, too. So this is their plan for the live show on April 9th? I knew they were planning on having the two finals then. I think yesterday's show hinted at the Shamrock/Franklin match and from talk here, I knew to expect that, too. I didn't realize that they were going to have additional fights leading up to those three though. It's like they're making it a full-blown event. I guess that's good, but I didn't expect to see the eliminated fighters again. (Well, we're still not, but you know.) It is too bad they can't show all of those matches on TV. The "dark" fights probably would be good to watch, too.

As for yesterday's episode, it was good to see that there wasn't immense drama around Chris' loss. After he pulled himself together and calmed down, he went back to congratulate Kenny, which was nice to see. It seems like he is maturing through his experience here. If he can keep himself together emotionally, he'll probably be in great shape. I thought they might be having two fights in this show since they started the Diego/Josh fight rather early, but now we know why -- it went the full 3 rounds, all 15 minutes.

I thought it was a good fight. I expected more ground fighting than there was though. There was a lot of stand-up striking. Apparently neither really wanted to play the other's game and was trying to avoid going into the other's ground game. It looked like Diego did have a submission locked in at the end of one round, but Josh was saved by the bell. Diego seemed to do a lot of work from the ground when he was taken down, but it looked like Josh didn't do much from the top again. I suspect this is because his strength and background is in wrestling, not submissions or ground fighting. So after he scores a take-down and gets a mount and control, he doesn't have enough knowledge and/or experience to know how to really work it to his advantage. I expected Diego would win, but I thought it would be more like his other fights, by a submission. I didn't think they'd end up fighting the full 3 rounds.

I'm glad to see Josh go now, too. When he was talking about how glad he was that Chris Leben was gone, I was thinking that he should enjoy it while it lasted, because he was going to be the next one out. I'm hoping that Forrest has healed well enough to fight because I don't really want to see Bobby in there again. I guess we'll see next week what the commission decides. Next week should be good since there will be two fights. I'm looking forward to it and the live conclusion; that ought to be good. Plus I haven't seen Ken Shamrock since he left the WWE (previously WWF) and pro wrestling so it should be interesting to see him in a MMA match.

J

JDenz

Ya you can check out the TUff thread if you want spoilers for the show. I have had the finals posted on there for awhile. I am pretty sure they are going to do a higlights of the dark matchs at least. I bet we will see alot of them because Diego is going to kill Kenny on the feet. He better be careful playing on the ground with him though. There is a reason Rafferty didn't pick him.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like the finals will be some pretty good fights. I'm not too upset about who is fighting now.

7sm

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup, the finals are set now. Hopefully they'll be good matches. The addition of a pro match to the final show should be really good. I took a look at an online TV schedule and it says the final episode is 2.5 hours. Do you think they'll only show those three fights (two finals plus the pros)? They did say that the fighters would go home to train with their own trainers now before the finals, so if cameras go with them, I suppose they could get a bunch more material to pad out the show. But if they're sticking with mostly fighting, I'd think they'd need more than 3 fights in a 2.5 hour show. No?

C

clapping_tiger

I doubt it will go the full 2.5 hrs, but it may be close to that. If they only show 3 full fights, and if those 3 all go the distance. That's 45 min, plus add in updates on all the fighters and what the ones eliminated have done. Maybe show highlights of the undercard fights, what the UFC is all about. Oh wait..... add in commercials and I guess you may have 2.5hrs huh? I look forward to it though. I am also having the Chuck and Randy fight the weekend after, so I will be on UFC overload this month. I am excited. I imagine they will be building up that fight tremendously on the 9th. I wouldn't be surprised if the next PPV has their highest PPV numbers to date. With people who have been watching the show, I am sure they have pulled in quite a few more UFC fans. Basically you could look at it as a 2.5 hour UFC infomercial.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I checked the TV listings and out here and Spike has TUF on all day. Looks like they are going to run all the episodes before the live finals. Good chance to catch up on any missed shows.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Looks like the finals will be some pretty good fights. I'm not too upset about who is fighting now.7sm
Last night's fights were pretty good. Too bad they had to stop the fight between Sam & Forrest; I would like to have seen them go the distance (or a knockout). Plus, I was impressed with how Stephan got out of the choke that Mike put on him--I heard the gurgling sounds & thought it was over (as did Liddell & Couture). Props to Stephan for coming back to win the match with the arm bar! :ultracool

Yes, I'm also looking forward to the final fights. Both matches should be good.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow, they're showing it all day? I guess they are running a marathon of the series as prep for the final episode. I plan to be at the cherry blossom festival Saturday afternoon though, so I'm going to miss it. I may tape the final episode though, just in case I don't get back in time. And that way I can save it, too, if I want to. I guess they could use it as a huge ad for the UFC and to at least some degree they probably will. I guess even if there are only 3 fights and highlights of the undercard matches, it should be an interesting and good show.

About the fights, yeah, Sam and Forrest probably could have gone on longer. But like someone said (I forget already) holding both hands up along the sides of your head to protect your face isn't an intelligent defense. I can see that; simply covering won't really help you fend off the attack or lauch a counter-attack of your own. At that point, I suppose the ref has to stop the fight in order to protect the fighter taking the beating. I thought Stephan was going to tap to that choke, too, just like everyone else. When he started turning red and making choking noises, I figured it was all over. But somehow he managed to muscle out of it. Pretty impressive. It's almost too bad Mike couldn't hold out those last few seconds of the round because it was a good fight. But I think they said Stephan had Mike in a triangle choke and then sunk the arm bar so he was pretty much forced to tap out.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was doing some research, checking out Straight Blast Gym. I didn't know that both Forrest Griffith and Nathan Quarry are both instructors associated with SBG. Was also checking out Matt Thorton's tapes today. It has Nathan doing some Greco wrestling drills with Randy Conture.

J

JDenz

Ya should be a good show I am pretty sure that they are not going to show the undercard to much so you buy the season one DVD of UFC. It might be tough to get even those three fights on TV. They usually run a commerical after the intros and after every round. Plus they will have an intro before the fights and a recap of the path the fighters took probably. Between that and advertising the Chuck and Liddell fight you won't get to much but you get what you pay for.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The show's not over yet, but it seems like they're not even highlighting the undercard matches. It sounded like a lot of review of the fighters in the finals and their path to the finals, so honestly, I wasn't paying close attention through those parts. I did of course watch the fights and they were good. I really liked the one between Forrest and Stephan in particular. I won't mention the results though in case others reading now haven't watched the show yet. The Shamrock/Franklin match is coming up next, so I'm going to watch that now. :)

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i thought they would at least show highlights of the undercard. the Forrest and Stephan fight was really good. but i thought Stephan should of won. anyone know the results of the undercard fights?

Latest Discussions