Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

S

Semaj

maybe they americainized the black belts, where you end up with one wihtout the real skills.

J

JDenz

Who exactly from the old days is looking bad compared to the new guys. Renzo? Destroyed by Hendo and Saku, Sperry? Kondo ate him up lost to Ninja, Belfort has never been a legit blackbelt, The thing is the blackbelts arn't getting worse the rewst of the compition is better. You don't have to beat them at Bjj just not get tapped by them. I actully think that the compition has made the top guys better not worse.

C

clapping_tiger

I just want to add one thing to the comment about the boring side of the grappling aspect of MMA. Back in the early 90's when I was into boxing and say my first UFC fight, I thought that wrestling crap was boring, and couldn't understand why you would want to go to the ground. All I can say, is that once I was exposed to grappling, and I don't mean just reading about it or watching it, but actually doing it. You gain a whole new respect for it. I am still a striker, and anyone who spars with me knows that my submission defense is pretty weak. But I am a 1000 times better fighter than I was, just by picking up the little bit that I did, and by knowing how effective it is, and that that is my weakness. Don't take groundfighting lightly. It's kind of funny because one of my best friends is a strong grappler, and I am a strong striker, and have a pretty good takedown defense. We were talking during the last UFC (the Chuck and Randy II fight) and comparing our sparring matches with the classic Striker vs.. Grappler fights. It all boils down to IF he gets me down, I am in serious trouble, and the longer we remain on our feet, the more trouble he is in. These guys in there are fairly strong on both fronts. The point is, both are strong methods of fighting, and if you fully understand and respect both aspects of the game, the fights as a whole makes a lot more sense.

Latest Discussions