Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The UFC has announced there own reality show, called Ultimate Fighter. It will air January 17th at 11:00 pm est. It will air right after WWE Monday Night Raw. Side Note-You get to watch some fake restling and then get to see some real grappling. If by chance you can't stay up that late. They will run encore presentations on Friday nights 12:00 am, on Saturday's 7pm and on Sunday's 5pm all are EST Times.

They will have 16 fighters and will show them doing workouts, and training together. At the end of each week ,one fighter from each team will fight in the octagon. Winner stays, loser goes home, till they are down to two fighters. The last fight is a live fight on Spike TV. Two of the trainers are Randy Couture and Chuck Liddle.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw the commercials on TV for this the other night. It sounds interesting enough. I wonder if all these big strong boys will go through all the emotional stuff that one usually sees on reality TV show competitions.

I am gonna have to watch at least the first one to see how they are setting things up.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Saw the first show and read an article about the show in this month's Grappling Magazine. It was definitely a reality show, meaning it has all the stupid dramatic asides of most of the reality shows. It has the stereotypical tough guy but an a**hole, that everyone can root against. It has the loser that doesn't know if he belongs. Despite this, I think that it will be worth a further look. There will be match shown each week, in it's entirety, not chopped and edited like we sometimes see. The training regimen that the fighters are starting on is decent. I tried the treadmill exercise that they did and couldn't get all the way through.

JulesK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised by this show. I thought it was going to be a sausage fest, but I LOVE Couture and tuned in for support...and I believe I'm now a fan of the show. Yeah, they did the usual reality-show-character-BS, but it's VERY cool to have the intensity of training and competition for this sport showcased for the mainstream public. So, yay, for TUF, and let's hope Dana White realizes the financial potential of showing the GIRLS next!!!

:)
Jules

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I caught a piece of it a few nights ago. Much better than the other reality shows on tv, yea I watch them :D Anyone know the exact schedule for it.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kempojujutsu said:
The UFC has announced there own reality show, called Ultimate Fighter. It will air January 17th at 11:00 pm est. It will air right after WWE Monday Night Raw. Side Note-You get to watch some fake restling and then get to see some real grappling. If by chance you can't stay up that late. They will run encore presentations on Friday nights 12:00 am, on Saturday's 7pm and on Sunday's 5pm all are EST Times.

They will have 16 fighters and will show them doing workouts, and training together. At the end of each week ,one fighter from each team will fight in the octagon. Winner stays, loser goes home, till they are down to two fighters. The last fight is a live fight on Spike TV. Two of the trainers are Randy Couture and Chuck Liddle.

My first post list the times for the show and possible encore showing of it to. All Times are for Eastern Time Zone.

R

RSJ

This show looked alright in general. The fighters themselves are fairly good. I saw some good stuff during the sparring sessions, but then some of them are not that skilled. For example, the black guy with the dyed hair is a very good wrestler but someone like Belfort, Liddel or Tito would start throwing bombs and destroy him because he seems to be hesitant to strike. Most of them fight too much like it was a Freestyle wrestling match and don't strike nearly enough. One thing I learned the hard way is setting up your shoot. I got beamed in the head with enough knees and kicks and eventually figured it out.

C

clapping_tiger

I loved the show, it was better than "The Next Great Champ". Although it does have the typical reality show figures, this does give the non MMA fan something to watch. For example my wife hates watching fights, but she watched the show with me just to see if Chris (I think that was his name) was going to get beat. The one person who totally doesn't belong is the Canadian guy, not because he is from Canada, but he lacks the self-respect and confidence to make it anyway. I am sure they could have found someone a little less of a baby. Lucky for me I have one of those DVR's that will automatically record the new shows and although I have not seen Monday's episode yet, I will not miss a new show. And there is some good fighters to watch, not to mention the little bits you can pick up from their training sessions. Chuck and Randy are great representatives of the sport too. Very humble, and very talented. Because of choosing these 2 guys instead of say Tito, this show may help bring the UFC more mainstream. It would be really cool if they brought in some other legends to train these guys in some upcoming shows. Some guys I would like them to see bring in to give them pointers would be Ken Shamrock, Phil Baroni (even though I don't like the guy, he is a good fighter), and one of the Gracies.

L

LateBloomer

There are not too many reality shows worth watching but this one is not to be missed. I saw both the first and second shows. I was surprised that the Chris jacka$$ was not eliminated in the second show. He looked like he wanted to get kicked out with his behavior. This is getting even more interesting.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot it was on last night. Will have to pick up the encore this weekend. No football this weekend perfect time to watch it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kempojujutsu said:
I forgot it was on last night. Will have to pick up the encore this weekend. No football this weekend perfect time to watch it.

Same here. I believe that the replay is on Fri. night.

Mike

T

triwahine

My eyes are going blurry. I saw the time, but what channel? I can't read anymore....

tanks!!

T

triwahine

Thank you.... I guess I don't watch the TV Guide Channel long enough to see what's on Spike and a few other channels. Hmm, come to think of it, the Comedy Channel must be at the bottom also. I'll look for it.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it's on Spike TV, Monday nights at 10:00pm (Central). Each week's episode is shown again on Friday & Saturday nights. I usually don't watch reality shows, but I enjoy this one mainly for the training (I ignore some stuff, like the blonde woman who is obviously "eye candy" for the guys since it's on Spike TV, & some of the stuff that goes on in the house). I envy the variety of training they get (3 separate coaches: one for Muay Thai, one for Boxing & one for Grappling), but do not envy the tough workouts they have to endure--Oy! I got tired just watching them. Anyway, at least a few of the guys have good attitudes about the training & why they're there, so I try to enjoy it for that. I wish there was a UFC for women! :)

And yes, even though I also wish that Chris Leben (the red-headed obnoxious guy)would get kicked off, he's a good fighter so that probably won't happen. Too bad that someone in good shape who can fight can be such a jackass. Oh well, one day he will get "humbled" - maybe not on the show, but somewhere down the line...The challenges are interesting (they're supposed to be based on traditional MA training stuff); I like the one where they had to saw the log into pieces, take the pieces to another area where they had to put it back together, & then carry the reassembled log back to its original spot. Exercises like that force them to work together (or not). So, it will be interesting to see who wins.

If anyone wants to find out more about the show or the coaches (Randy Couture & Chuck Liddell), the March 2005 issue of Black Belt magazine has an interview with both of them.

:asian:

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night couldn't sleep. Got up to watch TV around 2:00am. On Spike TV they ran a paid advertisement for Super Brawl. Can't remember how much for the 3 video tapes. But they ran some interviews with fighters, showed some knockouts, tapouts. Has anyone seen this advertisements. I think it was only 30 minutes long. They showed it in between two Girls Gone Wild ads.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you know what I find funny is that this show has rule's in place and one fighter break the rule's by leaving the ground and he still on the show. Why have rules if they do not mean anything. I mean kids watch and so do young adults and all they are saying if you have a little talent you don't have to follow the rules.
icon13.gif

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I almost miss the whole damn show again! Caught the last 10 to 15 minutes of it. I thought originally, players would be elimated by matches only. I didn't think it was going to be this reality crap. Second if they are going to have rules, reguardless of who you are, or what kind of talent you have. If you break the rules you should be gone. I would be happy if the other 14 fighters ganged up on Jack A$$ Chris beat the living crap out of him and he couldn't continue. It would be only fair. I am sure Chris is a good fighter and he does show a lot of heart and guts. But the thing he doesn't have is respect. I value that over talent. I just hope he doesn't make the final cut. Something inside, says he will be in the middleweight title fight.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Why have rules if they do not mean anything. I mean kids watch and so do young adults and all they are saying if you have a little talent you don't have to follow the rules.
icon13.gif
The funny thing is, that is the reality of life. ie Tyson, Kobe, etc...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well bobby cut the weight and knocked out his opponite, what a over hand right that was!!!!!

Latest Discussions