Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, Leben doesn't have a real highly skilled style. He's a great fighter, but he did leave open room which is a huge mistake. Alot have done it, but I think Leben has (had) the most "messy" fighting style. I kind of liked him for some reason though, I think he reminded me of an old friend. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this next fight, while this past fight was very intertaining, I'm really looking forward to seeing Diego hand Josh his ***. Who knows what will happen, but I think Diego has the fight. I'm not buying all the diego hype, but Josh K, just seems too limited in his fighting.

7sm

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I definitely agree that Leben has a wild style. Not a lot of technique that I can see, but he's real aggressive. Tough kid for sure. I can't say I'm real big on that foot stomping deal he likes so much. Too much time looking down to find a toe to step on, I wonder if that is what he was doing when Kenny clocked him. At first I thought that Leben would end up in the UFC soon after this show is done. But now I'm not so sure. From what I've seen he needs to clean up is technique and toughen up mentally. Although, based on the comments about how he grew up, I can see him being a little messed up.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
From what I remember seeing of Josh K. and Diego, I'm guessing that Diego should win. When Josh K. beat Chris, it seemed to me that he did little besides get takedowns then ride him -- no major attacks or submissions once on the ground. That's probably at least partly due to his wrestling background. Diego has been good in his couple fights. I think both ended in submissions, but in the last one he pummeled the other fighter before making him tap. I think Dana and maybe others commented that the beating wasn't necessary, he could have gotten the submission much sooner. I've been more impressed by Diego than Josh K. But as that last fight showed, all it takes sometimes is one well-timed, damaging shot to win the fight. I guess we'll see next week.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Sam as a person? It seems to me that he's being unfairly targeted by the other guys. Yes, he took the clothing, but I really don't think his intent was theft. Of course, you can't really argue about intent if you're not going to give a person a chance, so everyone sees it as a very black and white thing. He has the clothing, therefore he's a thief. Talk about not allowing for complexity.

I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt because of the way he handles the other guys in the house. He's not insulting like they are and he seems to be able to handle their personal attacks rather well. I think they'd get along with him a lot more if they just gave him a chance, but for some reason, right from the beginning, they couldn't stand the guy. They started making comments about how he smelled and how much food he ate right from the beginning, and then carried that over to his education and background of supposed wealth. Everything seems to be up for grabs with the guy. I'm surprised no one has made any comments about how he sleeps or whether or not he flushes the toilet when he's done. :D

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
What do you guys think of Sam as a person? It seems to me that he's being unfairly targeted by the other guys. Yes, he took the clothing, but I really don't think his intent was theft. Of course, you can't really argue about intent if you're not going to give a person a chance, so everyone sees it as a very black and white thing. He has the clothing, therefore he's a thief. Talk about not allowing for complexity.

I think that Sam's a jerk. Not so much for the beanies and rash guards, but for what he said after the challenge. "My strategy allowed us to win." (Didn't seem like much of a strategy really.)

I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt because of the way he handles the other guys in the house. He's not insulting like they are and he seems to be able to handle their personal attacks rather well. I think they'd get along with him a lot more if they just gave him a chance, but for some reason, right from the beginning, they couldn't stand the guy. They started making comments about how he smelled and how much food he ate right from the beginning, and then carried that over to his education and background of supposed wealth. Everything seems to be up for grabs with the guy. I'm surprised no one has made any comments about how he sleeps or whether or not he flushes the toilet when he's done. :D

By "they", you mean Southworth.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing Diego hand Josh his ***. Who knows what will happen, but I think Diego has the fight. I'm not buying all the diego hype, but Josh K, just seems too limited in his fighting.

7sm
I'm looking forward to Koscheck getting his *** handed to him also. Something about that guy just rubs me wrong.

But I am buying into the Diego hype. That guy's an animal. I said after seeing his first fight that he would win the middleweight contract, and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully he'll beat Koscheck because I'd be really interested to see a Josh/Kenny fight.

And I don't think you guys are giving Kenny enough credit. He had a lot of heart. Leben did own the first round, but Kenny never got shaken up and didn't do anything stupid. He took a lot of shots from Leben and still hung in there and didn't panic or do anything stupid.

I think he knew he couldn't take a guy that much bigger than him to the ground (my guess is by fight time Leben probably had 20 pounds on him), so he was trying to hang in there and wait until Chris was tired to bring him down.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
But I am buying into the Diego hype. That guy's an animal. I said after seeing his first fight that he would win the middleweight contract, and I'm sticking to it.
Yeah, he very well could. It wouldn't bother me if he did, he has skill and heart it looks like too.

CMack11 said:
And I don't think you guys are giving Kenny enough credit. He had a lot of heart. Leben did own the first round, but Kenny never got shaken up and didn't do anything stupid. He took a lot of shots from Leben and still hung in there and didn't panic or do anything stupid.

I think he knew he couldn't take a guy that much bigger than him to the ground (my guess is by fight time Leben probably had 20 pounds on him), so he was trying to hang in there and wait until Chris was tired to bring him down.
Thats a good point, Kenny stuck with it even getting dominated pretty good. He didn't look that beat up afterwards either. However, I think on weigh-in they were only a few pounds apart, am I wrong on that?

7sm

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They were only 4 pounds apart (Leben 186, Kenny 182), but they were showing on the program where Leben was tipping the scales at ~195 about 24 hours before the fight.

I wouldn't know because I've never done it, but I've heard that when you cut weight like that you gain it back pretty quickly by rehydrating.

Also, they mentioned that Kenny was fighting well above his weight, that he was a true 155'er.

Maybe it was just a little ;) exaggeration about the 20 pounds.

KenpoPastor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IMHO - Kenny deserves full credit for beating Chris Leben. Most people are angry that the wrong guy won with "punchers luck." It was a perfecly timed and perfectly placed strike on an opening that Chris was giving up. The effectiveness of elbows on the inside is underestimated and most people don't train to use them but they can be far more devestating than punches as this match clearly shows. If this was boxing in which elbows are illegal then I would consider it a cheap victory because he would have won by cheating or by accident. But in the UFC, elbows are still legal at least until someone discovers how to "stuff" a takedown with a side step and an elbow to the base of the skull.

KenpoPastor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My bad, the last elbow move I described that would "stuff" a takedown is illegal according to UFC rules (thank God because it could result in death) but what Kenny Florian did was perfectly OK.

_don

C

clapping_tiger

KenpoPastor said:
IMHO - Kenny deserves full credit for beating Chris Leben. Most people are angry that the wrong guy won with "punchers luck." It was a perfecly timed and perfectly placed strike on an opening that Chris was giving up. The effectiveness of elbows on the inside is underestimated and most people don't train to use them but they can be far more devestating than punches as this match clearly shows. If this was boxing in which elbows are illegal then I would consider it a cheap victory because he would have won by cheating or by accident. But in the UFC, elbows are still legal at least until someone discovers how to "stuff" a takedown with a side step and an elbow to the base of the skull.

I didn't get the impression that anyone is upset that Kenny won. As a matter of fact most are probably happy with it. Leban lost once and should not have been there in the first place. And true, an elbow can strike with the same force as a baseball bat, but I think the comments were mostly about how you can't really count anyone out of the fight until it's over. Chris Leban was dominating the fight and looked to be on his way to a decisive victory. Kenny caught him with the elbow and ended the fight. However, the elbow did not seem to effect Leban in a way that would have knocked him out. He was not dazed or hurt, just cut pretty bad. If the elbow would not have done the physical damage it did, I think the fight would have turned out different. That's why originally when I said it was a lucky shot, I didn't mean that because it landed and it wasn't something Kenny was shooting for, but rather that it cut Leban and ended the fight. Personally I am happy Leban lost, and I hope Southworth loses too. He seems to be a good fighter, but he lost before. I think once your out, your out. No coming back, so I just hope Forrest can fight and if he can't I hope Southworth gets beat.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I cant stand Diego. overhyped, because he fought in KOTC, and has a good record. Kenny, I believe, is 1-1. not too experienced, but damn good at jiu jitsu.

I like chris, but I wanted kenny to win all along. he is almost 100% jiu jitsu, and you just dont see that anymore. I hope Koscheck slams diego on his head, then Kenny makes koscheck say "uncle".

as for Light heavyweights, I think since Alex S. is gone, I would be happy if everyone's favorite, Sam Hoger, took the victory. Forrest is tough. He tapped Ebenezer Fontes Braga.

I really want to see Sam tap out Bobby though. dream come true.

J

JDenz

Hey if anyone is interested I posted the results of the semi's I left it in another thread so you wouldn't look at it on accident. peace

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a good fight. Diego ruled the fight, had intensity, was agressive, went for techniques, was actively trying to win. Josh did a great job of keeping himself from being tapped, but not much else. Man, did you see his forehead?? I'm so glad Josh is gone! It was a good fight, Josh did better than I expected, but he didn't really do much of anything, he has a few really nice takedowns, but then what?

7sm

J

JDenz

He did okay on the feet compared to the last time he fought. He got alot better he is going to be a stud at 185 if he sticks around.

R

RSJ

That was a pretty good bout. I agree with the split desicion because Koscheck did just enough to make sure it wasn't unanimous by scoring takedowns, getting out of submissions and landing some hard shots. Finally, Diego went up against someone with somewhat of a ground game and good takedowns. You know, he seemed to live up to all of the hype. He seemed to take all the clean shots with little effect. Koscheck did show he could do more than one thing and I admire his toughness for sticking it out in a guillotine for those last ten or fifteen seconds of round one. If you've ever been guillotined, you know it works and fast. These days, I hear he wants to break into the welterweight division as opposed to middleweight. I hope he does make it. As much as I initially didn't like him, I have come to realize he's actually a vastly improved fighter.

J

JDenz

Ya his striking is much improved another year or two and he will be tough. He needs to break the instinctive shot when he is in trouble. Not good to duck your head into guys that knee.

T

TCA

I believe Josh fought out of his element. He is a world class wrestler but not a grappler. His take downs were good but, once on the ground, he didn't know what to do.

C

clapping_tiger

Deigo was close to getting the sub, I think it was at the end of the first round, He had the choke sunk in, but it was just too late. Kos, had time on his side there and lucky for him the buzzer went off, or I think he would have gone out. I was hoping Deigo would have got the triangle that would have been sweet. I don't agree with the split. So what if Kos too him down a few times, once he was there he did nothing. When Deigo was down he was always working for a sub, or pretty much got up at will. You may be able to ride a striker, but not a grappler, and that showed. All he showed in his stand up is he can take more than he gives. True, Josh looked better here than he did vs. Chris, but I think he got owned. But I give him a lot of credit for going the distance, that in itself is pretty tough.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RSJ said:
That was a pretty good bout. I agree with the split desicion because Koscheck did just enough to make sure it wasn't unanimous by scoring takedowns, getting out of submissions and landing some hard shots. Finally, Diego went up against someone with somewhat of a ground game and good takedowns. You know, he seemed to live up to all of the hype. He seemed to take all the clean shots with little effect. Koscheck did show he could do more than one thing and I admire his toughness for sticking it out in a guillotine for those last ten or fifteen seconds of round one. If you've ever been guillotined, you know it works and fast. These days, I hear he wants to break into the welterweight division as opposed to middleweight. I hope he does make it. As much as I initially didn't like him, I have come to realize he's actually a vastly improved fighter.
I agree, but although he has improved & he certainly made Diego "work for it," I believe he needs to mature a bit more (emotionally) in order to become a great fighter. The same could be said for Chris Leben, IMO.
TCA said:
He is a world class wrestler but not a grappler. His take downs were good but, once on the ground, he didn't know what to do.
It certainly looked that way to me too.