UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randy Couture will defend his title against Brock Lesnar November 15.
Your thoughts!??!

Ok I have 2 issues with this...

1. How did Brock become a #1 contender?!?!?!?!

2. Isn't Noguiera the interim champ and is scheduled to defend the title against Frank Mir after TUF???

Something smells real fishy here.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=13

Hmmm...maybe I'm just missing something here, but what happened to the days of people having to fight their way to the top of the food chain?? I mean, Randy has been in MMA a hell of alot longer than Lesnar. One would think that he'd have to fight others and work his way to someone like Randy.

IMO, this is an attempt to either fast track someone or just to draw in more fans, although I dont think that the UFC is hurting for cash or a fanbase.

As to who will win...I got my bet with Randy!!! Lesnar is a big, strong man, but IMO it takes a bit more than that to really do well and make people...well, me at least :) go ohh and ahh! I just don't see Lesnars skill anywhere near Randy.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it will be an interesting fight. It will definitely show how much Lesnar has learned.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What you also have to remember is the UFC's Heavyweight Division really doesn't have much right now. So Couture vs Lesnar is a big money fight, and also gets the fans to talking. Win for the promoters, and the fight should be interesting which is a win for the fans and should go the entire 5 rounds. However I don't believe we'll see a decision.

If you count the win before Lesnar came to the UFC he is 2-1 in his MMA career. And I saw the Herring fight. Lesnar controlled Herring. Aren't you suppose to be strong, and athletic in the heavyweight division? Herring was no small guy, its up to anybody fighting Lesnar to overcome his strength, and inexperience.

I hear a lot of critcism toward Brock but its clear he is serious about his MMA career, and he is now 260-265 which has to be some what better than the 285 when he was in the WWE. And don't blame Brock for seeking respect and credilibity. If Brock wins the title he'll have to defend it all the time. He'll be put to the absolute test, and for once we'll see a heavyweight division that will draw the other heavyweights out to fight Brock. What's wrong with giving the heavyweight division a little life.

Randy has to take this fight to finish, or get close to finishing his contractual obligations, and it was my understanding that Randy renogiatied his own contract, just before he had his grievance, and left.

So its clear that Brock has a big test to overcome. But he has plenty of time to prepare to find out what the best plan of attack is, and Brock is going to follow his corner right down to a tee so we'll see where it gets him.

I actually don't mind it being for the title. The title fight will bring in a hell of a lot more viewers. Brock though has to understand he can't focus on over powering Couture though. He has to use strategy. Even at 45 Couture can be dangerous, but he also may be a little rusty from just returning. His conditioning will be interesting to see if it still holds up after his absense.

I'll probably get this event for the Lesnar/Couture fight. It will be like an extra birthday present for me since its 2 days after mine. Maybe I can get my friend to take me so we can all celebrate by watching it.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I smell a conspiracy.

A guy doesn't go on tv and write a book and tell everyone he wants out of the UFC and how Zuffa are snakes, etc. He doesn't go on and say that he only wants to fight Fedor and no one else b/c that is the only challenge only to do a complete 180 and take some more fights with the UFC. The guy goes and has a role in the movie Red belt and then stars in The Scorpion King 2. He wanted out of the UFC and now to turn around and take fights with low caliber talent where you have nothing to gain and everything to lose?? Something smells fishy.

With him taking these fights in the UFC, there is no way he will fight Fedor anytime soon. Someone mentioned it earlier, it would be at least 2 years away and we all know that 2 years is too long.

UFC heaveyweight division is terrible, lets be honest (not bad enough to give the 1-3 Lesnar a title shot though). Affliction has a great heavyweight division and can post better fights for Randy.

I smell boxing and Don King. I think the general concensus is that people don't mind him fighting Lesnar its just that it is for the title. Im sorry but if I was a heavyweight I'd be pissed that Lesnar walks in and got a title shot. Hell Crocop should have gotten a title shot then after his first loss.

There needs to be a ranking system bad.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A lot of this also is marketing. Dana White had suspicions that Couture's agent was filling his head with garbage regarding still fighting using dirty politics to get him into Hollywood.

So far Couture has had a few bit parts because let's face it. The Scorpion King 2 probably won't be anything special. Anything anybody will remember Randy for.

As for the Fedor fight in 2 years, if Couture would have finished out his contract before this time then we might have seen a different announcement. However I'm just guessing here.

We'll have to watch Randy take this fight, and then see where he goes or if he is offically done with the UFC after this.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression this is a new contract.
This is a settlement between Randy and Dana White/UFC....I'm sure, though it has not been announced, that Randy saw the writing on the wall when he lost his bid to keep the lawsuit in Texas and it moved back to Navada. He had to KNOW there was no way out of that UFC contract he signed.

He original had 2 fights left on his contract.....my bet is since he agreed to 3 contract fights, he did so in exchange for something he thought was valuable.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you also have to remember is the UFC's Heavyweight Division really doesn't have much right now. So Couture vs Lesnar is a big money fight, and also gets the fans to talking. Win for the promoters, and the fight should be interesting which is a win for the fans and should go the entire 5 rounds. However I don't believe we'll see a decision.

If you count the win before Lesnar came to the UFC he is 2-1 in his MMA career. And I saw the Herring fight. Lesnar controlled Herring. Aren't you suppose to be strong, and athletic in the heavyweight division? Herring was no small guy, its up to anybody fighting Lesnar to overcome his strength, and inexperience.

I hear a lot of critcism toward Brock but its clear he is serious about his MMA career, and he is now 260-265 which has to be some what better than the 285 when he was in the WWE. And don't blame Brock for seeking respect and credilibity. If Brock wins the title he'll have to defend it all the time. He'll be put to the absolute test, and for once we'll see a heavyweight division that will draw the other heavyweights out to fight Brock. What's wrong with giving the heavyweight division a little life.

Randy has to take this fight to finish, or get close to finishing his contractual obligations, and it was my understanding that Randy renogiatied his own contract, just before he had his grievance, and left.

So its clear that Brock has a big test to overcome. But he has plenty of time to prepare to find out what the best plan of attack is, and Brock is going to follow his corner right down to a tee so we'll see where it gets him.

I actually don't mind it being for the title. The title fight will bring in a hell of a lot more viewers. Brock though has to understand he can't focus on over powering Couture though. He has to use strategy. Even at 45 Couture can be dangerous, but he also may be a little rusty from just returning. His conditioning will be interesting to see if it still holds up after his absense.

I'll probably get this event for the Lesnar/Couture fight. It will be like an extra birthday present for me since its 2 days after mine. Maybe I can get my friend to take me so we can all celebrate by watching it.

Think of it like this....if you start a new job, one that has a rank structure, such as a LEO, the officers start at just that, an officer, then they have the chance to move to Sgt., LT, Capt, etc. You have to put in your time and then advance. I'm saying that Brock is like the officer. I just don't think its right for him to fight someone, with as few fights as he has had, that is at the top of the food chain. Are there no other HW fighters that are on a lower scale than Randy, that Brock could fight?

Kinda like the old days of the UFC. You had to fight and win in order to advance to the final fight. You just didn't get a bump.

Either way, I'm sure its going to be an interesting fight. Unless Brock did something eye opening and jaw dropping, Randy is still at the top of my list.:ultracool

Juggernaut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is that Lesnar was bad mouthing Fedor...which isn't the smartest thing to do. Even Dana White said Fedor is irrelevant. I highly disagree...

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is that Lesnar was bad mouthing Fedor...which isn't the smartest thing to do. Even Dana White said Fedor is irrelevant. I highly disagree...

I was watching MMA Live on ESPN.com
Dana White has always bad mouthed Fedor in hopes of Fedor coming over to the UFC to shut him up, but Fedor has refused to take the bait. Dana just wants to do the fight so he can rake in all of the money, plain and simple.
Dana also said some negative things about Affliction which again I see as classless. As much as I like Dana for the business sense that he has, he could do better in the personality department. Brock has no class whatsoever. Just a typical meat head.

Too bad Fenny Florian can't get a fight with BJ Penn. He and BJ should have been fought for the title but now he has to wait for BJ to move up and fight GSP.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS,

I get the point you're making and I completely agree. It doesn't really make much sense for Brock to get the fight now. But what it comes down to is this is a money fight.

I'm hoping it will be competitive, and that Couture's 11 month absence won't affect him. The reality as you know is Brock is still just starting out. He hasn't done anything worth mentioning other than that slip up to Mir.

Dana White gave Lesnar the best timing too in order to prove himself. I'm not sure what this fight really proves. Or why its important other than the fact that Randy needs a good showing for his return.

Sure we need an undisputed heavyweight champion but Couture vs Mir/Nog is what most people are looking forward to. Brock could easily take Randy's place but he'll be in for a war, because we all know Randy is just not going to let him have it.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it still strikes me as a bit of a bad decision on Dana's part, Randy Couture is a big money maker yet at the same time you need to think about what is good for the sport.
Randy no doubt will have to fight nog, but im sorry It should be his first fight back, by not doing so he should give up the title,you have to think aswel if brock beats Randy, is brock then the heavyweight champion?.....again where is Nog in all this?

Mir vs Nog is not a good fight at all, Mir is way out of his league and im really not sure of the thinking behind it is, Nog is an excellent trainer he is the man responsible for Anderson Silva's jujitsu skills, if I was in that house I'd be selling my soul to be on his team, Mir on the other hand has not been the same since his accident, he is a shadow of his former self……Im thinking the only reason Mir was chosen is because he is a known heavyweight, where as the heavy division in the UFC seems empty at the minute…but then that would be the reason for the show.

if im honest ( and it is a bit off topic ) im annoyed at Randy…he doesn’t seem to know what he wants, 8 months ago he told us its all about respect and his desire to fight Fedor…affliction more or less saying they will happily put on the fight….now after his film flopped and spending 8 months without a purse he has decided to forget about 'respect' and is in negotiations of signing a three fight deal…seriously..what is he doing? me thinks it was never about respect more so I think it was actually to do with money.

but then I suppose we all need to work to provide for our families so I can see where he is coming from…I think its time for him to be honest though and not hide it.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Money IS the respect he is after. Randy just thinks he is entitled to more than Dana thought he was, that's why they split.

Bigjoemma

White Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing odd here its just Randy trying to end his contract and because of that Dana said fine this is who you'll fight Randy had no choice cause he wants to fight the best and thats Fedor. Gotta be the best to be the best (which i think wont happen Randy's great but Fedor's on another level.)

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing odd here its just Randy trying to end his contract and because of that Dana said fine this is who you'll fight Randy had no choice cause he wants to fight the best and thats Fedor. Gotta be the best to be the best (which i think wont happen Randy's great but Fedor's on another level.)

Trying to end his contract?.....lol the brock fight is part of a three fight contract that Randy has signed.

Fedor's contact inables him to fight for any promotion.......Dana might have a plan.

its dangerous though, the winner of brock randy will fight the winner of nog Mir.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Trying to end his contract?.....lol the brock fight is part of a three fight contract that Randy has signed.

Fedor's contact inables him to fight for any promotion.......Dana might have a plan.

its dangerous though, the winner of brock randy will fight the winner of nog Mir.

That's it. Lesnar will NOT be the champion IF he beats Randy(which I doubt). He will have to fight the winner of Nog/Mir. The winner of that fight will be the heavyweight champ.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Money IS the respect he is after. Randy just thinks he is entitled to more than Dana thought he was, that's why they split.
Dana looks at it like the business that it is....why shouldn't Randy?

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression this is a new contract.
You are correct, this is a brand new 3 fight deal. This new contract INCLUDES Randy fighting Fedor in 2009. Dana and Randy have both already talked about this.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dana looks at it like the business that it is....why shouldn't Randy?

Because Dana is a business man its his job, Randy is a fighter that should be his job.

Dont get me wrong, you should be paid well for what you do, but Randy has had more chances given to him then any other fighter in the UFC and was still paid accordingly.....all that talk of Dana white not respecting him was rubbish, i think it was more of the other way round.

Latest Discussions