UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar!

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct, this is a brand new 3 fight deal. This new contract INCLUDES Randy fighting Fedor in 2009. Dana and Randy have both already talked about this.

Thats interesting, i know Fedors contract enables him to fight Randy, but who for??? the UFC??.....another thing Dana needs to worry about is keeping Randy winning until he meets Fedor, I can see Randy beating brock, I can see Randy beating Mir...but you know what i struggle to see him beating Nog.

Fedor's fight with Arlovski has been pushed back till january so it could be as soon as after that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MJS,

I get the point you're making and I completely agree. It doesn't really make much sense for Brock to get the fight now. But what it comes down to is this is a money fight.

I'm hoping it will be competitive, and that Couture's 11 month absence won't affect him. The reality as you know is Brock is still just starting out. He hasn't done anything worth mentioning other than that slip up to Mir.

Dana White gave Lesnar the best timing too in order to prove himself. I'm not sure what this fight really proves. Or why its important other than the fact that Randy needs a good showing for his return.

Sure we need an undisputed heavyweight champion but Couture vs Mir/Nog is what most people are looking forward to. Brock could easily take Randy's place but he'll be in for a war, because we all know Randy is just not going to let him have it.

Oh I don't disagree at all that this is primarily about the cash. Hey, either way, whoever fights, I'll be tuning in. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Promoters do this kinda thing to create interest. The difference is, they usually do it when they're having a hard time putting butts in the seats. It's a mystery as to why they would do something like this when the talent pool is so rich & interest in the sport is at it's peak. It's a gamble that will not pay off.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because Dana is a business man its his job, Randy is a fighter that should be his job.

Dont get me wrong, you should be paid well for what you do, but Randy has had more chances given to him then any other fighter in the UFC and was still paid accordingly.....all that talk of Dana white not respecting him was rubbish, i think it was more of the other way round.
Randy is a BUSINESSman who markets his skills for money. It's not 'show friends' it's 'show business'.

If your not a shrewed businessman in the fight game you'll die broken down, bitter and POOR!

A fighter owes it to himself to get the best deal going.

We tend to look at managers as businessmen and athletes as somebody that should be above 'business' decisions....which amazes me quite frankly. Professional athletes are businessmen marketing a skill just like any other.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Another forum had some interesting info about the contract disputes between the UFC and Coutore:

Apparantly, Randy hasn't really signed a new deal. He's agreed to abide by the terms of his old contract. He had a three fight deal before, and he has a three fight deal now. His pay wasnt' changed.

The old contract had stipulations in it that he could only break contract while holding a title if it was stripped by the UFC or he retired permanantly. Hence Noqueira being the interim champion. If they stripped Coutore, he'd be free and clear.

Here's the info from dave meltzer:
From Dave Meltzer:

"While everyone was all smiles both on the video and at the press conference when Couture and Dana White publicly reconciled, it was a very trying day. Couture did sign a three-fight contract, but the terms were identical to his old contract, so if the show does 1 million buys, he’ll earn $2.58 million.

Couture’s lawyers and UFC lawyers agreed to the settlement, where all legal issues would be dropped and Couture would return under his old deal, but UFC agreed to extend the contract at least one more fight (he had two fights left on his old deal). However, Couture did not sign, having issues with certain terms of the settlement agreement. There was another verbal agreement reached on the contract a little before Noon on 9/2.

At a little before Noon, when the press conference was scheduled to start, Couture arrived at UFC headquarters to sign the deal with Lorenzo Fertitta. Exactly what happened from there is not clear, but at 12:15 p.m., Couture, attempting to change some minor points once again (perhaps feeling he had a slight bit of leverage since UFC had called the press conference and already delayed it once) left the meeting room when UFC wouldn’t change the deal.

He then left the offices, and apparently the deal was off. Reporters were waiting for the press conference since before Noon and told there was a“schedule conflict” which would delay the press conference by one hour. Couture drove away, and at that moment, they were going to cancel the press conference (almost nobody got word of this, but there were a few reporters who did find out there was a good chance the press conference, at the time now slated for 1 p.m., would be canceled. At the time, nobody knew the reason why, although it wouldn’t have been hard to figure).

At that moment, it was believed the deal was about to completely fall apart. The sides had another court date for later in the week. At least to the outside, both sides felt confident in their case, but the difference was that UFC could better afford the fight and since the case was going to be in Nevada court, there was the feeling that gave them another advantage, plus the whole case was Couture was looking for freedom to fight elsewhere when he had two fights left on his contract, and the contract was stronger due to the championship clause that binds the champion to the promotion unless he retires or loses.

That was the key as to why UFC never stripped Couture of the title even as it passed one year without a title defense and him turning down the offers and always publicly saying Nogueira’s next opponent would be Couture even though they knew at the time saying that was just posturing (and it also worked to give people the idea that Couture was ducking Nogueira, and whatever you think of Couture, that assertion is ridiculous). The continuing legal case was draining Couture financially, and the time length of continuing the fight was working against him. It really was bad advice he was given last year in leaving. Perhaps if he was 28 years old and was geared to fight it to the end, it’s one thing, but maybe he thought he would somehow be able to get out of the contract with a breach.

There was also the issue with Couture appearing on the Affliction show in the ring with Fedor Emelianenko and promoting a future fight, which to me came across as a blatant violation of the non-compete. Had Couture won in court, he’d be 46, and would have lost two more money fights between now and then in addition to probably two or three fights he’d already lost because of being tied up in litigation. Couture’s lawyers who had agreed to the deal said to UFC that he only left to put gas in his car, and then tried to persuade him to return to the offices.

Couture came back to the UFC offices at about 12:30 p.m., but was on his cell phone for several minutes. He then went back to talk with Lorenzo Fertitta. At about 12:50 p.m., the deal was finalized and he taped a segment with Dana White, who was all smiles, with them acting all chummy, talked for a few minutes and then started the press conference.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wish I had pay per view. I missed the fight between Lesnar and Herring, too.

I hope they show the fights on Spike eventually, even if it's after the fact.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wish I had pay per view. I missed the fight between Lesnar and Herring, too.

I hope they show the fights on Spike eventually, even if it's after the fact.

Trust me, you REALLY didn't miss anything.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well herring did a back flip after getting hit, that was HILARIOUS but other than that, it blew. I wish brock would stand more!!!

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you go to mmalinker.com, you will more than likely be able to find the fight you'd like to see...even if you don't have PPV.

AbsZero

White Belt
Reaction score
Or you can check fliiby.com for the latest fights in really good quality..

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lesnar all brawn, no brains. Last time Lesnar fought Mirr he (Lesnar) didn't have much of a stradegy. I hope Couture wins

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think lesnar has all the makings of a champion, except a ground defense. He is fast, huge, powerful, great wrestler, great puncher, but horrible at bjj. If he is not careful on the ground, I could see couture overwhelming him.

Latest Discussions