UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Randy will have his hands full. I don't think either sylvia or gonzaga were close to being as powerful as Lesner. I don't doubt Randy's ability to win though. I'd love to see Randy vs Minotauro or Mir too. His body surely can't last forever. Randy vs Fedor is still the fight we all wanna see given how he destroyed Sylvia.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nog and Mir are commited to the stupid reality show until December.

Which is might I add, stupid. Champions should be defending the belt, not engaging in zany antics for a Big Brother rip off that doesn't even have hot girls in it.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Come on Andrew, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!
Lori

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't believe that! Having Lesnar go for the title is insulting to all the people who have fought so hard for the records to actually deserve a title shot. This kind of publicity stunt makes me not want to watch the UFC.

My only consolation is that I think Couture will win. I hope he chokes Lesnar out.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Giving Lesnar a title shot takes a lot of credability away from the UFC in my eyes and if I was in the heavyweiht division right now I'd be pissed.

This move shows that MMA needs a ranking system now more than ever. This is just a total joke now. I swear if Couture looses I will swear it is fixed. What happens afterwards??? If Couture wins he will then fight Noguiera/Mir winner. But doesnt Couture want out of the UFC to fight Fedor?

This is such a damn joke.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think this is Dana White's way of sticking it to Coutore. Now he has to fight a VERY big guy that most people think is a joke to get a chance at the fight with Fedor (not to mention fighting Nogueira after he submits mir).

Coutore left the heavyweight division because he had trouble with the bigger, stronger guys overpowering him(ricco rodriguez, Josh barnett). Now he's going to fight an even bigger opponent than the ones that beat him at heavyweight before. Granted, lesner is still green, but the toll of fighting someone that big at age 45 after a lifetime of combat sports could be bad.

After lesner, the winner of the nogueira and Mir fight will be waiting to unify the heavyweight title. Meaning the Fedor fight is probably a good two years off if it happens at all.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WTF? That's stupid. I'm sad to see Randy back with the ufc. He's Not too old to take Lesnar to school.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off in no way does Lesnar warrant a title fight.
icon13.gif

Secondly this is a bad fight for Couture. Even a raw Lesnar will give him utter fits based on size and strength. I am surprised that Randy is taking this fight.
icon9.gif

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can understand Randy having a tune up fight since it's been awhile since he's fought. But, I would not make it a title fight with someone as new as Lesner.

That being said, Mir handled Lesnar pretty well so I think Randy should be able to as well. On some level Lesnar is a big name because of his WWE experience so it can draw more fans to the UFC and later the Randy v. Fedor fight.

I still don't agree with it though, just trying to see the marketing aspect.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
think about it like this, who else would he fight? do you want to see him fight herring? just lost. kongo? lost to herring. who else is out there? Nogeira and mir are tied up til december, and randy is not getting younger.

Also, think bout it, they want to SELL! what fight sells bigger than lesnar vs couture? like it or not, lesnar draws a HUGE crowd, and its coutures return.

In the end, I think it is a horrible matchup for randy. Lesnar has 50 lbs on him and is faster, younger, hits harder. I swore I would never count randy out after last time, but I am having a hard time seeing how he could win.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I mistaken or doesn't Lesnar have a LOSING MMA record? I've seen three fights, only one of which he won. How does that warrant a title shot?

Sheesh.

peace,
Erik

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everyone in how Lesnar is not worthy of a title fight. He's only around to gain pro wrestling fans. "The Natural" vs. "Senor Steriod" (come on, now... he's juicing like a mofo) is not something I'd pay to see.

But this might be a little against the grain here: Lesnar could be a tomato can opponent before Couture's bigger, and better fights. That might be a little risky IMHO, because I agree wholeheartedly: Lesnar brings down the credibility of the UFC at this point in time. He hasn't earned anything.

If Lesnar wins, it all depends on how he defeats Couture. I doubt that will happen, though.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is Dana White's way of sticking it to Coutore. Now he has to fight a VERY big guy that most people think is a joke to get a chance at the fight with Fedor (not to mention fighting Nogueira after he submits mir).

Coutore left the heavyweight division because he had trouble with the bigger, stronger guys overpowering him(ricco rodriguez, Josh barnett). Now he's going to fight an even bigger opponent than the ones that beat him at heavyweight before. Granted, lesner is still green, but the toll of fighting someone that big at age 45 after a lifetime of combat sports could be bad.

After lesner, the winner of the nogueira and Mir fight will be waiting to unify the heavyweight title. Meaning the Fedor fight is probably a good two years off if it happens at all.

I thought Randy left because he found out he wasn't getting paid what some other non-champion fighters were making, not because he couldn't handle the fighters.

Anyway, The Heavy Weight division needs something...it doesn't have a lot of great fighters in it. Lesnar was a NCAA college wrestling champ before WWE and based on what I saw in his last fight, hits like a Mac Truck. I think he's good for the division, but I'll be pulling for the Natural.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lesnar was going to face Congo but he is hurt and can't take the fight.

Im sorry but Lesnar's 1 win wasn't impressive. He just layed on Herring. One good punch and then proceeded to lay on him like a rug and just punch.

I don't have a problem with him fighting Couture but I do have a problem with it being for the title. Couture has everything to lose and nothing to win. If Randy wants out of the UFC so bad why is he even taking this fight??? If he wins he still has another fight against the Nougiera/Mir winner. This throws off possibly any chance of him fighting Fedor.

I hate to say it but what if there is a backroom deal. Couture has agreed to lose to Lesnar by split decision(pride and potential fight with Fedor makes him refuse to get either KO'd or submitted by Lesnar). With the loss he is free to join Affliction (so he can face Fedor) and then Brock gets the push as the man who beat Couture and it drives his stock up. Win/Win for both parties.

You guys may think I'm crazy but really think about it. There has to be something going on in the backrooms of the UFC. Randy was totally done with UFC and stated more than once that Fedor is the only fight he wants. UFC has too much invested into Lesnar to have him lose again and be called a bust. They have to find a way to get him over.

I'd rather see Ricco Rodriguez in there. UFC is starting to become like boxing. People who have no damn business getting title shots are getting them. I know Dana wants to give fans what they want but at the same time you have to be fair to the fighters and give them their respect.

This is just one of the match ups I have a problem with right along with Kenny Florian not being able to get a title shot against BJ Penn. The way it is going now, Florian won't get a title shot till maybe mid next year.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off in no way does Lesnar warrant a title fight.
icon13.gif

Secondly this is a bad fight for Couture. Even a raw Lesnar will give him utter fits based on size and strength. I am surprised that Randy is taking this fight.
icon9.gif
He's got to in order to fulfill his contract and get the hell out of it.

Dana is really sticking it to him.

Latest Discussions