Uechi-Ryu Circle Block

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Drobison491, Aug 31, 2020.

1. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Black Belt

This clip (did not copy in quote) shows the elbows in, as they should , but could be better anchored at the end. Hip action is missing and no footwork is included, though the clip may be intended solely for most basic demo. Still, some hip should be stressed as it's so integral to the move, even for beginners.

This clip nicely shows advanced use of the entire body.

• Like Like x 1
  2. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Yep, also something that I don't think has been mentioned, sometimes a block just needs to be a quick parry, and doesn't need your whole body moving to support the deflection. Can't count how many times in sparring that I've done a quick parry/deflection for a really quick follow up strike. If I'd have used my entire body moving with that block, I would've just gotten thwacked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

Sometime you just want to deflect a punch. Sometime you want to move your body out of your opponent's attacking path (or hurt your opponent's punching arm).

For

- speed, your body chase your hand. When you smash a mosquito with your hands, your hands will move before your body stat to move.
    - power, your body push your hand. When you push a car, your power will come from your leg.

In fighting, sometime you may have to trade power with speed. When you throw 3 punches within 1 second, your body will not have enough time to generate 100% power.

In the following clip, you see more hand movement than body movement.

In the following clip, you can see more body movement. There are some moves that he did not even punch out his arm. But you can still see his power has been generated from his body.

The day that you can punch without using your arm, the day that you truly understand power generation.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3