U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think this is newsworthy because of its potential to spark an international incident. I hardly think our soldiers are using night sights for evangelical purposes, if ya know what I mean.

Its newsworthy because of the economies of scale. Do the coded messages violate the rules that were set in place? And if so, what needs to be done, how will it be done, and who will pay for it?

Its an interesting business challenge.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very odd and, don't be offended, it's very American!!

Definitely something that comes under the banner of 'only in America'.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

?? By who? The people in Iraq and Afghanistan?

They don’t hate Americans because their Christian, and they don’t hate Christians because their American.

They don’t like Americans and Christians because you’re in their country.

+1.

The war in Iraq will never end as long as the US keeps a large military presence over there. The people attacking US soldiers hate the US for destabilizing their region over the last decades, overthrowing governments and abandoning their 'allies' to suit their purposes.

The nutters and extremists would be there, with or without the US. It's just that the US has given them a very fertile soil for planting the seeds of hatred.

The bible has very little to do with it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its newsworthy because of the economies of scale. Do the coded messages violate the rules that were set in place? And if so, what needs to be done, how will it be done, and who will pay for it?

Its an interesting business challenge.

Myes. also: whose head will roll?

If I was CxO of that company and found out that someone down the food chain seriously endangered a multi hundred million dollar contract for no good reason other than religious advertising, his *** would be grass.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Myes. also: whose head will roll?

If I was CxO of that company and found out that someone down the food chain seriously endangered a multi hundred million dollar contract for no good reason other than religious advertising, his *** would be grass.

I don't think its that dramatic.

I think DOD put out the RFP, the contractor responeded, and the appropriate back-and-forth took place to get the sites accepted. The article is very heavy on hand-wringing but says nothing about how this would have violated the contract.

The issue is going to be whether or not this is a violation and how it will be addressed.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the contract specifically forbids religious phrases or symbols, then this is borderline. The contract probably does not specifically forbid the CEO to call up the pentagon and tell the generals to go **** themselves. That doesn't mean it will end without consequences now or in future bids.

Regardless, I would can the person who took the decisions.
Not doing so would
1) enforce the appearance towards other employees that this sort of thing is acceptable.
2) make it appear towards the other party / 3d parties that senior management supported this.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just happened to be at a trade show this week and discussed this issue with a sales rep.

First, this is not a "secret". It is a part of the serial for the individual scope. It is not some sort of hidden number.

Second, this is the product of the founder of Trijicon. He is a Christian and so is his family. If you look at the "About Us" page on the website for the company, one of their company's values is morality:

We believe that America is great when its people are good. This goodness has been based on biblical standards throughout our history and we will strive to follow those morals.

He has been placing Bible verses on the serial numbers of all scopes produced by the company since it was founded over 30 years ago. This is not a recent phenomenon, or as some reaction to any war.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...makes one wonder why this is all coming about NOW???

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trijicon is providing mod kits for free but Gen. Petreaus is not happy.

But yesterday Army general David Petraeus, Central Command's top officer, called the practice "disturbing".

"This is a serious concern to me and the other commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan," General Petraeus told an audience at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.
In a statement issued later, General Petraeus said "cultural and religious sensitivities are important considerations in the conduct of military operations".
http://www1.voanews.com/english/new...r-Bible-References-on-Gunsights-82293112.html

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...makes one wonder why this is all coming about NOW???

If I were to guess in a non paranoid way, I'd say this is one of those 'public secrets' that everyone in a small group knows, and someone mentioned it to the 'wrong' person and that eprson mentioned it to his friend, and eventually it found its way to a reporter who made this public.

Every company has 'secrets' that many people are aware of, which aren't really kept secret but which they'd rather not have broadcasted in public.

As for the appropriateness of putting these references on military equipment:
Matthew 26:52
Matthew 5:44
Matthew 5:38-42

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
This seems to me to be an example of using religion to justify and sanctify violence. If I have a Bible verse stamped on my scope, it reminds me that god approves of what I'm doing. If my imam shows me a passage in the Koran encouraging me to destroy infidels, and then scribes that text on a bomb vest for me to detonate in a public place, then it reminds me that god approves of what I'm doing. Some internal conflict is resolved, and I feel better. This type of behavior is common to every religon, not just Christianity and Islam.

Personally, I would be more inclined to stamp "Eat this" on my scope.

Last edited:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is much ado about nothing. The guy probably noticed that bible passage references bear a resemblance to military designations and included them as a lark. Jesus isn't guiding rounds downrange.