Turning school over to another master

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I run one.
Hope your standards are better than the ones around here. They are not very good and give away black belts in what I consider to be a very short time. Then again I have been training a long time and was under people with very high standards in both ITF and Kukkiwon styles.

Last edited:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to take a peek at a local ATA-style school's website here in northern Virginia: Learn Martial Arts in Leesburg, VA | ATA Elite Martial Arts

The school gets good Yelp reviews, but the bio of the main instructor gave me pause: "...Master Rodriguez earned his Black Belt in 3 years under the leadership of Master Leonardo Priore with the International Taekwondo Federation, the South American affiliate of ATA."

Is there a South American organization that goes by the name ITF that is an affiliate of the ATA? I thought the South American affiliate of the ATA had been going by the name Songham Taekwondo Federation (STF). Maybe that's just a typo on the website though, or an over-zealous Web-author.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say first thing: make sure your seniors and your senior students are all on board with the plan. While you're free to turn over a program to whomever you like, it's going to go a lot smoother if it's got the support of the group.
By the same reasoning, I wouldn't just say "Master Blaster is taking over tomorrow." I'd make it a transition over a period of weeks or even months, if possible.
He has been teaching for me for a while now. He was my head instructor until about 4 years ago and he moved away. He has been back now for about a year does running the majority of the classes. Senior students all really enjoy his classes

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He has been teaching for me for a while now. He was my head instructor until about 4 years ago and he moved away. He has been back now for about a year does running the majority of the classes. Senior students all really enjoy his classes
When I say head instructor I mean he was a 3rd Dan teaching for me and now is a 4th dan.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to take a peek at a local ATA-style school's website here in northern Virginia: Learn Martial Arts in Leesburg, VA | ATA Elite Martial Arts

The school gets good Yelp reviews, but the bio of the main instructor gave me pause: "...Master Rodriguez earned his Black Belt in 3 years under the leadership of Master Leonardo Priore with the International Taekwondo Federation, the South American affiliate of ATA."

Is there a South American organization that goes by the name ITF that is an affiliate of the ATA? I thought the South American affiliate of the ATA had been going by the name Songham Taekwondo Federation (STF). Maybe that's just a typo on the website though, or an over-zealous Web-author.
Don't know where the ITF came from. STF is correct, although a couple of years ago, we "rebranded", so to speak, and everything is now under ATA International.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, I am saddened to read this Master Smith. I echo ArchTKD's sentiments. It was a pleasure meeting you in Chicago and training with you. I am sure you will always have a special place in your heart for TKD. I wish you the best of luck as I know you really enjoye BJJ! You are awesome!

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I am saddened to read this Master Smith. I echo ArchTKD's sentiments. It was a pleasure meeting you in Chicago and training with you. I am sure you will always have a special place in your heart for TKD. I wish you the best of luck as I know you really enjoye BJJ! You are awesome!
It is people like you that I will miss. If you're ever in San Diego look me up

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be busy with teaching and running a GB school. I have lost interest in it. I still like TKD , it will forever be a part of my soul, but I am in love with BJJ. I have to be true to myself. After 36 years total, 23 of them teaching, I will retire my Dobok and KMA belts with a smile having promoted 3 Masters who will continue teaching TKD in different areas.
I'd just like to say that this is a Very Good Reason for passing along the school to someone else. When your heart is somewhere else, it's time to go focus on that thing and let someone else with passion take over what you've put so much of yourself into.

Good on you.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sales are easy. One price and there is no negotiating. Discount applies to law enforcement, all military (active or not) and emergency service personnel.
I'm curious as to the reason for the discount. Is it out of some sense of appreciation, or is it that you especially went them as students because they will be more serious and contribute more to the classes?

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the reason for the discount. Is it out of some sense of appreciation, or is it that you especially went them as students because they will be more serious and contribute more to the classes?
It is because they are the most likely to need restraining skills and practical, non striking options.
In San Diego we have alot of military. The Police, firemen and ambulance drivers/ ER doctors are all high stress level individuals that can benefit from the physical and mental exhaustion that occurs daily in class. They help all of us in our time of need so this is how we show appreciation.

Latest Discussions